Sponsored

Are we happy now?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am overwhelmed by content of other people enjoying the heck out of the R1T (sorry R1S'ers) + manuals + official reviews, etc. Only thing for me is to actually get the dang thing now. Outside of known gripes, I'm generally curious if there's anything left for people to wonder about.
Not yet. I would like to test drive the R1S and hopefully get it with Captain Chairs / Max-Pack.

Even then I won't be happy until the tax credit is applied to my transaction ;)
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Still curious about charging speeds overall and the curve.

And the more reviews come out, the more confused I am by the total lack of mention of Alexa. Did they back off the integration?
I think the pre-production vehicles might have it disabled. It's an optional feature anyway. Even if you have it enabled, you don't ever need to use it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I am generally very happy to see that most of the reviews do not raise any red flags. The biggest complaints seem to be the lack of physical controls, UI responsiveness being 'ok' and not 'great', no AA/carplay, and less-than-ideal lumbar support in the rear seats.

None of these are deal breakers to me, but in the absence of AA/carplay I would have liked to see app integration with more than just Spotify and TuneIn. I use YouTube Music, I'm sure there are plenty of Apple Music users, and there are so many mapping apps that folks have a preference for. It would be nice to see if there is any sort of game plan to incorporate more apps into Rivian's ecosystem.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I am generally very happy to see that most of the reviews do not raise any red flags. The biggest complaints seem to be the lack of physical controls, UI responsiveness being 'ok' and not 'great', no AA/carplay, and less-than-ideal lumbar support in the rear seats.

None of these are deal breakers to me, but in the absence of AA/carplay I would have liked to see app integration with more than just Spotify and TuneIn. I use YouTube Music, I'm sure there are plenty of Apple Music users, and there are so many mapping apps that folks have a preference for. It would be nice to see if there is any sort of game plan to incorporate more apps into Rivian's ecosystem.
I've been down this path with one of the domestic OEMs about 7-8 years ago. The OEM had an HTML5-based application framework that SHOULD have been fairly straightforward to develop against. The main problem is that getting service providers to develop applications for relatively low volume platforms is very difficult. It simply isn't worth their effort. This part of the reason that many of the OEMs have either shifted to or announced their plans to use Android.

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I am overwhelmed by content of other people enjoying the heck out of the R1T (sorry R1S'ers) + manuals + official reviews, etc. Only thing for me is to actually get the dang thing now. Outside of known gripes, I'm generally curious if there's anything left for people to wonder about.
Just to add a few more things I’d love for Rivian to share…in-depth spec sheet. Things we really don’t know….weight (also different trim/pack weights) payloads, tongue weight, max weight capacity of frunk, tailgate, on & on. Very little has been shared. In-depth video of energy consumption in different environments, towing, etc. In general, very pleased with what we are seeing, but still a big PR production. More substance would be appreciated.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Yes I want it now!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I've been down this path with one of the domestic OEMs about 7-8 years ago. The OEM had an HTML5-based application framework that SHOULD have been fairly straightforward to develop against. The main problem is that getting service providers to develop applications for relatively low volume platforms is very difficult. It simply isn't worth their effort. This part of the reason that many of the OEMs have either shifted to or announced their plans to use Android.
It's also a strong matter of whether say Google, wants to allow a third party to control the user experience. Then, even if Rivian is Android, do they want to launch "native" android Apps? You also have the matter that they change and break every 2-3 years, the android app is not long term backwards compatible like a TV app is.

Spotify is stupid simple. They have public APIs. You implement your own app, in your own UI interface, and adhere to their API contract.

And, please no HTML on a car interface. Sounds slow. But it might happen.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'm not going to be happy until the back seat is fixed. Those seat cushions needs to be removable, or flip the other way :(

The cargo area needs a second cover over it that flips up, so it's flat.

Then, something can fold over to make the remaining surface flat.

It looks fixable for me, but I think I will have to permanently remove the rear seat cushions.

I also might complain if the rear seats are too "Verticle" IE: Like dodge caravan fixed seats, but I don't care that much. I never sit there.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Just to add a few more things I’d love for Rivian to share…in-depth spec sheet. Things we really don’t know….weight (also different trim/pack weights) payloads, tongue weight, max weight capacity of frunk, tailgate, on & on. Very little has been shared. In-depth video of energy consumption in different environments, towing, etc. In general, very pleased with what we are seeing, but still a big PR production. More substance would be appreciated.
Tongue weight is around 1100 lbs. Can't remember the exact number CS told me. But 1100 is good +/- 100

Sponsored

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
Granted I haven't gone through all the new reviews/videos yet, but also looking forward to some real life range testing. Different modes, different tires, towing, weather, yadda yadda. Is 314 more like something that will only happen under perfect conditions or could we expect more than epa like some EVs, etc.
I lose a 1/3 of the range in my Model Y when I drive with traffic (75-80 mph). Not too big a deal because there are a lot of superchargers where I travel. That being said, it takes 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to charge to 80%. Trips take longer. I may change my order to the 400 mile pack once I saw that the decrease in 0-60 was 0.2 seconds+/-.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Tongue weight is around 1100 lbs. Can't remember the exact number CS told me. But 1100 is good +/- 100
I think that is what I’ve heard also. My point to Rivian is please put this in a usable format (owners manual) vs tribal knowledge. Large pack weight…I had thought around 5,900 lbs. MT said close to 7,000. Manual states ~8,532 (gross). So what’s payload? I’ve “heard” 1760? So Large pack weight is ~6,772 lbs? Then Max pack will be more, so less payload. They just need to produce firm spec’s. I don’t think this is asking much.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
It's also a strong matter of whether say Google, wants to allow a third party to control the user experience. Then, even if Rivian is Android, do they want to launch "native" android Apps? You also have the matter that they change and break every 2-3 years, the android app is not long term backwards compatible like a TV app is.

Spotify is stupid simple. They have public APIs. You implement your own app, in your own UI interface, and adhere to their API contract.

And, please no HTML on a car interface. Sounds slow. But it might happen.
Google has no control over the automotive interface, only provides guidelines, and in fact has tools to enable the OEM to develop their own. In addition, you don't have to utilize GAS (Google Automotive Services) as part of your solution and are free to select your own map/navigation/location-based service provider.

I believe Rivian has stated they're not using Android, so it's most likely to be AGL (automotive grade linux) or possibly QNX.

HTML5/JS applications ran perfectly fine, and would perform even better on modern hardware. It sure as heck was better than QNX trying to use Flash-base UI at around the same time.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think that is what I’ve heard also. My point to Rivian is please put this in a usable format (owners manual) vs tribal knowledge. Large pack weight…I had thought around 5,900 lbs. MT said close to 7,000. Manual states ~8,532 (gross). So what’s payload? I’ve “heard” 1760? So Large pack weight is ~6,772 lbs? Then Max pack will be more, so less payload. They just need to produce firm spec’s. I don’t think this is asking much.
EPA docs report R1T with the 21s as 6,949 lbs curb weight
Sponsored