First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Makes sense. I don't mean they don't know how to fix vehicles. Just that until central command tells them to look at things, they don't even know to look. Mine went into a service center for noisy suspension and came back still noisy. A bit of time passes and I see pictures of Rivians online with the upper ball joint separated from upper control arms. I go check mine and they are about finger tight. So clearly went in for suspension noise concern and came back same....with loose upper balljoints.

Not blaming the techs...they had no idea what to look for and have been lead to believe noisy front ends (or have concluded) noisy front ends are normal.

But central command I am sure sees these concerns and at some point it should raise their concern and then dig in and find root cause and deploy solution to service centers.
Do you think that’s causing the noise? Could you link that online info? Thanks
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Do you think that’s causing the noise? Could you link that online info? Thanks
Ultimately no. I did think at time that it did get quieter, but mine still has something that seems to thump/thunk around on certain bumps....

It ultimately was the recall that was the loose upper ball joint bolts. But not my source of noise.

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I still haven't gone back for my 5th appointment, I'm now at 8000 miles on the truck 5 months ownership, everytime I think about calling to schedule, I debate it knowing that they probably haven't gained the knowledge to fix it correctly and I'm going to be pissed if they don't get it right the next time.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I still haven't gone back for my 5th appointment, I'm now at 8000 miles on the truck 5 months ownership, everytime I think about calling to schedule, I debate it knowing that they probably haven't gained the knowledge to fix it correctly and I'm going to be pissed if they don't get it right the next time.
I think is my current thoughts on many things. We have warranty, but they are incapable of fixing many of the items. And just say "normal". So I wait for shit to fall off...since hopefully that isn't "normal", bit who knows. Some people on here will say shit falling off is early adopter tax, or all brands have shit fall off, etc....

OP
OP

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I think is my current thoughts on many things. We have warranty, but they are incapable of fixing many of the items. And just say "normal". So I wait for shit to fall off...since hopefully that isn't "normal", bit who knows. Some people on here will say shit falling off is early adopter tax, or all brands have shit fall off, etc....
For me I was very clear (and they also were VERY receptive) to the idea that as long as my complaint is on file, they'll continue to fix it. I see some folks may be charged for tire rotation/ tires wearing out prematurely, I have it logged on my file that if I need tire rotation or the tires wear out early they will cover them under warranty due to the alignment issues.

Part of the "early adopter tax" can be mitigated by forward thinking and ensuring as a consumer that you can predict what items may be warranty covered at low miles and then "normal wear and tear" at higher mileage.....sure it's a little bit like a magic 8 ball but I am doing everything I can to ensure my complaints are on file to avoid me getting angry in the future

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
For me I was very clear (and they also were VERY receptive) to the idea that as long as my complaint is on file, they'll continue to fix it. I see some folks may be charged for tire rotation/ tires wearing out prematurely, I have it logged on my file that if I need tire rotation or the tires wear out early they will cover them under warranty due to the alignment issues.

Part of the "early adopter tax" can be mitigated by forward thinking and ensuring as a consumer that you can predict what items may be warranty covered at low miles and then "normal wear and tear" at higher mileage.....sure it's a little bit like a magic 8 ball but I am doing everything I can to ensure my complaints are on file to avoid me getting angry in the future
I agree. That is best approach! And don't grt me wrong...love my R1T! Wouldn't trade it for anything.

But I think it only helps Rivian to see the issues and hopefully take fixing them to heart.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I had a pretty bad pull to the right and a steering wheel not even close to center. They tried just doing an alignment but no luck. The next time they removed the subframe and reinstalled it. 95% fixed. Still pulls very slightly to the right but it’s acceptable. And the steering wheel is dead center now.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had a pretty bad pull to the right and a steering wheel not even close to center. They tried just doing an alignment but no luck. The next time they removed the subframe and reinstalled it. 95% fixed. Still pulls very slightly to the right but it’s acceptable. And the steering wheel is dead center now.
Interesting. Means either the subframe was not truly located in truck or they might have swapped one out and not disclosed, for say a broken weld, etc...

Seems alignment would have corrected any untrueness in subframe mounting, or they should have concluded it can't be aligned and then known it needed other solution.

Or alternatively, if a broken subframe becomes a dynamic component with things moving that shouldn't, then alignment becomes dynamic too.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Interesting. Means either the subframe was not truly located in truck or they might have swapped one out and not disclosed, for say a broken weld, etc...

Seems alignment would have corrected any untrueness in subframe mounting, or they should have concluded it can't be aligned and then known it needed other solution.

Or alternatively, if a broken subframe becomes a dynamic component with things moving that shouldn't, then alignment becomes dynamic too.
They did order a new subframe just in case but didn't have to use it. I think it wasn't located well enough to get a good alignment so they relocated the subframe and now it's so much better.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
They did order a new subframe just in case but didn't have to use it. I think it wasn't located well enough to get a good alignment so they relocated the subframe and now it's so much better.
That is great! Mine is pretty good too. I am hoping the new software update soon just helps with that bit of pull it seems to do at times. Seems like most of time, but it is pretty minor.

Sponsored

crussell

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I'm in need of finding out what to communicate to my local (private) shop when getting an alignment.

Rivian service center is to far away but they said they have proprietary software that allows them to perform the alignment. They gave me the specs and my local shop has the spec in their latest hunter software.

Any information would be appreciated.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
So my alignment at the South San Fran service center was successful. Wheel is now straight, and truck tracks straight. However, activating Driver+ now causes a lurch to the left.

I talked to service and will try a hard reset, but suspect the truck will be going back in for a sensor recalibration?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So my alignment at the South San Fran service center was successful. Wheel is now straight, and truck tracks straight. However, activating Driver+ now causes a lurch to the left.

I talked to service and will try a hard reset, but suspect the truck will be going back in for a sensor recalibration?
So no slightly pulling to the right at all? I got mine fixed and the steering wheel is straight now but there is still a slight pull to the right. Not sure if I should push for another alignment.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Only driven for 20 miles so far and seemed fine. Will report back after more miles if it seems to still pull.

if I were you I’d ask for another alignment with printout if possible.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Only driven for 20 miles so far and seemed fine. Will report back after more miles if it seems to still pull.

if I were you I’d ask for another alignment with printout if possible.
I'm debating it but it's odd, seems like pull depends on the day even with driving the same route. makes me think it might be a software or air suspension issue.
Sponsored