Alignment - pulling to the left

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'm sure it's been covered, but I have a slight misalignment with nominal pull to the right. It's not that big of a deal, but it's certainly there. Any people with experience and what experience you've had, if any, in getting it resolved with Rivian. Just another ticket? Does it require a trip to the SC or can a mobile tech adjust it? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Very common. They will fix it, definitely requires a service center visit. Due it sooner than later to avoid unnecessary wear on your tires.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've submitted multiple tickets for this issue, and spent weeks at the service center. They send it back and say it's fixed, but it isn't. My tires are trashed, at this point.

It's a problem, and I'm not happy. Really not sure what I can do, at this point.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm sure it's been covered, but I have a slight misalignment with nominal pull to the right. It's not that big of a deal, but it's certainly there. Any people with experience and what experience you've had, if any, in getting it resolved with Rivian. Just another ticket? Does it require a trip to the SC or can a mobile tech adjust it? Thanks in advance.
Mine goes away in All Purpose, Low....but is slight in Normal height, worse in High.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine goes away in All Purpose, Low....but is slight in Normal height, worse in High.
Interesting. I was only in conserve when it was apparent on straight stretches of I-80...it might have been doing it in sport as well (I was so tired from the roundtrip, I didn't think to horse around with the different modes). Anyway, I just put in a ticket. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've submitted multiple tickets for this issue, and spent weeks at the service center. They send it back and say it's fixed, but it isn't. My tires are trashed, at this point.

It's a problem, and I'm not happy. Really not sure what I can do, at this point.
Wow, that sucks. Very disconcerting. What wheels/tires do you have? Not cool. Are you doing mostly city or hwy driving or mixture of both?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Wow, that sucks. Very disconcerting. What wheels/tires do you have? Not cool. Are you doing mostly city or hwy driving or mixture of both?
21", mix of city and highway.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I have 22" and have been in for service twice. It's a pretty bad pull to the right. I don't see any solution in sight. 2 other Rivians I've driven had the same issue.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/Y/3, R1T, R1S (order)
Mine has pull to the right as well, but when i put it in for service they claimed it was fine. Wonder if a tire store could give a second opinion?

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
I have a hypothesis that this is actually caused by the way in which they do height adjustment. The joints don't appear to be delta or co-planar with the side of the car (hence the camber angle appearance on the car at different wheel heights). I imagine if the car is static (which they recommend) when you change height, this is going to apply a ton of camber torque on the actual control arms/joints and probably at non-equal rates on each tire as it seems to rock back and forth vs. move simultaneously. This will pull the wheels out of alignment pretty easily if there is any play in the control arms/joints whatsoever. Perhaps that's why it's not simultaneous..., but I'd actually probably recommend changing suspension height while moving slowly in this case but this is just a wild guess. Doesn't explain why everyone's car moves to the right, that sounds like a component/algorithmic issue as luck would suggest that there'd be an equivalent number pulling to the left.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Mine still pulls slightly right after a SC alignment where they acknowledged my previous ā€œpulls rightā€ complaint.

However, Iā€™ve noticed if I drive in the left lane on a highway, the truck will pull LEFT.

This leads me to believe that the truck, because of its weight being 2X any vehicle Iā€™ve ever had, just wants to follow the crown of the road. It wants to fall down the slope gradient.

Not saying anyone is wrong - my first complaint was obviously valid for them to do the work. I was just surprised I could make it go the other direction in the left lane. It still doesnā€™t drive as straight as my rental I had the first 5 weeks of SC visits.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
My R1T is in for its 3rd visit due to this issue (the 2nd time in i was told that's just the crown in the road so nothing was even attempted). I talked to one of the leads there that's going to have his lead tech work on it. Basically i was told that the alignment needs to be done at the lowest level and then adjusted for the various ride heights. I dont know how adjusting in one place doesnt affect another. But i'm hopeful that they're on the right track. This guy had the same issue on his truck and it took many tries to get it done. He's also going to drive it after it's done since he's had the experience and knows what to look for. I'm somewhat hopeful. But everyone with this issue - keep submitting tickets. Hopefully those that get it fixed can share details on what was done here and then use this info when submitting tickets and talking to rivian. One of the good things about this forum is you can learn some things and use that to help with issues...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Mine does this but only on a few roads. I can believe the assertion that mine is just following the crown of the road because it is very intermittent for me. I won't worry about it until it pulls steady all the time.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This leads me to believe that the truck, because of its weight being 2X any vehicle Iā€™ve ever had, just wants to follow the crown of the road. It wants to fall down the slope gradient.
This is known in the industry as "tramlining".
Rivian R1T R1S Alignment - pulling to the left 1665062460597

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine still pulls slightly right after a SC alignment where they acknowledged my previous ā€œpulls rightā€ complaint.

However, Iā€™ve noticed if I drive in the left lane on a highway, the truck will pull LEFT.

Not saying anyone is wrong - my first complaint was obviously valid for them to do the work. I was just surprised I could make it go the other direction in the left lane. It still doesnā€™t drive as straight as my rental I had the first 5 weeks of SC visits.
I was thinking the same was possible. I tried to get a feel for it on stretches of I-80 that had the least amount of visible "crown". However, I also let it go into some right hand, subtle curves and it still wanted to go right, where the force of the weight should have carried me into the adjacent, left lane. It wasn't the drive assist causing this to happen.
Sponsored