Sponsored

2022.47.0 software update installed w/ SNOW MODE!

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Anyone else feel that stopping/hold mode feels a bit sloppier? I've noticed more rolling back/forward on slopes when I let off the accel pedal. At a drive through (rut right at the window), it felt like I went back and forth 2-3 times rocking in it before the truck finally decided to stop.
When I first got the truck I was in love with how it automatically stopped and held at traffic lights. Solid.

In the past month--before this update--I was noticing how frequently I'd come up to a light and just let off the accelerator, and the truck would roll backwards on even the gentlest uneven ground. I've had to start applying the brake to get it to hold where I want it.

Haven't had enough driving with the new update to say if it feels different, but wanted to point out that it was already feeling sloppier to me before this update. Not sure if that's an age thing, or something that was introduced in a different update.
Sponsored

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
Occupation
Installed over night. Truck went into Performance limited turtle mode immediately switching to drive. It went away, but was a worrying start.
Same here! I had no idea what had caused it, nor why it went away after a few hundred feet.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
Occupation
More error messages popping up since I installed the update. Now it is telling me the regen is reduced due to high battery charge. Battery is at 73%.
FWIW I've been tracking (not quite struggling with) the limited regen for a while now, as I live up a very steep mountain road, such that the first 0.9 mile of my drive drops me about 600' in altitude, where I'd like to reclaim as much juice as possible.

There are three icons/messages when the limitation shows up:
  • "Regenerative braking is limited due to high battery charge" - which has included triggering once when I was at 72% in the past. Happens all the time at 85% charge.
  • "Acceleration and regenerative braking are reduced until the battery warms up" - which has happened for me at 43°F and lower temperatures.
  • No clear message or icon, just a belated "Regenerative braking reduced; use brake pedal to slow" message that shows up ~10 seconds AFTER I have to start using the brake to stay safe.
Consensus from a previous thread of mine discussing this was that it was just battery chemistry being unable to accept that much charge that fast...which makes sense, though it surprises me that I can drive for 30s+ of regeneration before this kicks in.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No clear message or icon, just a belated "Regenerative braking reduced; use brake pedal to slow" message that shows up ~10 seconds AFTER I have to start using the brake to stay safe
I get this if I'm whipping around a corner at a high rate of speed because limited regen didn't slow me down enough. Looks like you also might have the steering wheel turned?

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
FWIW I've been tracking (not quite struggling with) the limited regen for a while now, as I live up a very steep mountain road, such that the first 0.9 mile of my drive drops me about 600' in altitude, where I'd like to reclaim as much juice as possible.

There are three icons/messages when the limitation shows up:
  • "Regenerative braking is limited due to high battery charge" - which has included triggering once when I was at 72% in the past. Happens all the time at 85% charge.
  • "Acceleration and regenerative braking are reduced until the battery warms up" - which has happened for me at 43°F and lower temperatures.
  • No clear message or icon, just a belated "Regenerative braking reduced; use brake pedal to slow" message that shows up ~10 seconds AFTER I have to start using the brake to stay safe.
Consensus from a previous thread of mine discussing this was that it was just battery chemistry being unable to accept that much charge that fast...which makes sense, though it surprises me that I can drive for 30s+ of regeneration before this kicks in.
this happens to me all the time even on < 70%SoC. I have a mile long downhill right from my home to the freeway and about 2/3rd way down suddenly I see this message Rivian give up regen completely. I charge my car to 70% so it’s definitely happening at or below 70%.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
this happens to me all the time even on < 70%SoC. I have a mile long downhill right from my home to the freeway and about 2/3rd way down suddenly I see this message Rivian give up regen completely. I charge my car to 70% so it’s definitely happening at or below 70%.
Does it behave the same on the new software or does it give up further down the road now?

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
Occupation
I get this if I'm whipping around a corner at a high rate of speed because limited regen didn't slow me down enough. Looks like you also might have the steering wheel turned?
It's a winding mountain road with only a couple of straightaways, so mostly yes, the wheel is turned. However, the spot it tends to start "giving out" on happens to be mostly straight. Perhaps the similarity between our situations is that the car has a lot of unwanted momentum (in my case due to continued steep incline; in yours due to the need to keep redirecting the force around a turn) and there's only so much the battery can do.

But again, the surprising part to me is that if I use the brakes to slow down and stop before the same stretch, and then approach it and release the accelerator, the battery is able to consume the charge. So, it seems not (just) a limit on the amount of instantaneous current it can handle, but a limit that builds up over time. Which makes me feel like there's some sort of buffer like a supercapacitor that fills up, but others have said with authority that there are no supercaps involved.

it’s definitely happening at or below 70%
I fully agree. I've even been down to 30% and had it happen. This morning was 61%. Though there are regen limitations related to battery level, there are clearly also limitations that we're experiencing that are unrelated.

Does it behave the same on the new software or does it give up further down the road now?
Only had two days' of data so far, and on both days it's been under 45°F and so I got the "until the battery warms up" message, but both times the regen braking has "given out" at roughly the same section of road as it has in the past.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
My regen capacity is definitely worse after the recent update. I drove up to the mountains this morning for the second time since the update, and on my way home I noticed for the second time the regen capacity is significantly worse. The first time I chalked it up to cold temp, but today it is warmer than in past trips where I never had reduced capacity before coming down I70. Not sure what is going on.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Snow mode arrived just in time for the Christmas upper Midwest blizzard. Snow mode works great, predicting same milage range as All Purpose. One thing no one has commented on is that the ride height becomes "standard" in snow mode, but after about four minutes at highway speed, the truck automatically lowers itself to "low", then back up when you slow down. Well done Rivian.
Ran into a new owner in Madison WI while charging who had only 300 miles on his, but had already switched out his 20s for Bridgestone Blizzaks. He was an autocross type car guy specializing in ice racing and had worked in a tire shop so knew his traction. I'm having no trouble with anything getting around safely with my 40% worn out 21s.
Next day in Milwaukee, met another car guy type wearing Elkhart Lake Road America race track plates. The driving experience is well worth the wait.
450 miles traveled, left home at 100 per cent charge and arrived home with 100 miles of range left after spending 28.50 at retail Electrify America chargers.
Hello from the guy you met in Milwaukee!

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the car for one week before the update. I don’t recall it happened before. Now it’s happening every time if I come down non-stop.

So, it seems not (just) a limit on the amount of instantaneous current it can handle, but a limit that builds up over time. Which makes me feel like there's some sort of buffer like a supercapacitor that fills up, but others have said with authority that there are no supercaps involved.
This is plausible. Definitely feels like it’s hitting a limit because of the continuous high regen. I am wondering what will happen if someone drives down from pikes peak!

Sponsored

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
Occupation
Definitely feels like it’s hitting a limit because of the continuous high regen. I am wondering what will happen if someone drives down from pikes peak!
My guess: overheating brakes, with a need to pull over and let them cool down.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess: overheating brakes, with a need to pull over and let them cool down.
It should be the other way around. Regen means converting the loss of momentum to electricity instead of wasting as heat. A while back Audi e-tron showed a demo where they came down from pikes peak and didn’t have to stop to cool down their brake pads.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
My regen capacity is definitely worse after the recent update. I drove up to the mountains this morning for the second time since the update, and on my way home I noticed for the second time the regen capacity is significantly worse. The first time I chalked it up to cold temp, but today it is warmer than in past trips where I never had reduced capacity before coming down I70. Not sure what is going on.
Why don’t Tesla’s have this regen battery issue?

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
Occupation
It should be the other way around. Regen means converting the loss of momentum to electricity instead of wasting as heat. A while back Audi e-tron showed a demo where they came down from pikes peak and didn’t have to stop to cool down their brake pads.
I'm unsure which usage of "should" you're intending here, so let me respond to both.

If by 'should' you mean 'ought to be', I agree that ideally it would be the other way around. Ideally regenerative braking would absorb the energy, converting the vehicle's kinetic and potential energy into stored battery charge, saving wear upon and heat buildup within the brakes. Like downshifting in an ICE vehicle, ideally the regenerative braking would help prevent brake overheating.

However, if by 'should' you mean 'likely will', I disagree. Given that the Rivian battery seemingly cannot consume charge fast enough when descending roads beyond a certain steepness, and assuming (I've never been) that the road to Pike's peak is similarly 'too steep' like my mountain road, I believe that a Rivian owner descending Pike's peak will have to rely heavily on the brake pads to slow their roll.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I'm unsure which usage of "should" you're intending here, so let me respond to both.

If by 'should' you mean 'ought to be', I agree that ideally it would be the other way around. Ideally regenerative braking would absorb the energy, converting the vehicle's kinetic and potential energy into stored battery charge, saving wear upon and heat buildup within the brakes. Like downshifting in an ICE vehicle, ideally the regenerative braking would help prevent brake overheating.

However, if by 'should' you mean 'likely will', I disagree. Given that the Rivian battery seemingly cannot consume charge fast enough when descending roads beyond a certain steepness, and assuming (I've never been) that the road to Pike's peak is similarly 'too steep' like my mountain road, I believe that a Rivian owner descending Pike's peak will have to rely heavily on the brake pads to slow their roll.
Unlike a Tesla, that would regen (to some degree) most if the way down. Why the difference?
Sponsored