Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
I'm nearing the end of my first month of R1T ownership and was calculating my electricity usage vs miles driven and was curious what others were seeing. I have it two ways. This includes one 200 miles flat freeway drive at 75MPH and daily commuting on city streets mostly. Temperature has mostly been in the 50's. I believe my vampire loss is near 4% or about 5 KWh per 24 hrs so there is 150 KWh per month of improvement available just from that.

1). Calculated by power out of my charger, which would include losses during charging and overnight vampire drain.

1038 Miles Driven
648 KWh out of charger

1.6 miles per KWh

2). Calculated by the Rivian Trip meter which I think must include vampire drain.

1038 Miles driven
583 KWh used (calculated)

1.78 miles per KWh (I got this from the trip meter)
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I'm nearing the end of my first month of R1T ownership and was calculating my electricity usage vs miles driven and was curious what others were seeing. I have it two ways. This includes one 200 miles flat freeway drive at 75MPH and daily commuting on city streets mostly. Temperature has mostly been in the 50's. I believe my vampire loss is near 4% or about 5 KWh per 24 hrs so there is 150 KWh per month of improvement available just from that.

1). Calculated by power out of my charger, which would include losses during charging and overnight vampire drain.

1038 Miles Driven
648 KWh out of charger

1.6 miles per KWh

2). Calculated by the Rivian Trip meter which I think must include vampire drain.

1038 Miles driven

Those figures align when the estimate for charging loss is around 10%. I agree with you, hopefully vampire loss is reduced significantly overtime.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Thinking outside the box here.

If you get under the Rivian and hammer a stake through the battery pack (getting through the armour will be tricky and may require multiple stakes) would that not kill any vampires currently in the battery causing your drain?!?

Then, as a preventative measure to ensure no future Battery Vampires, cloves of garlic draped around the rear view mirror.

Also hope someone from Rivian sees this, because they seem to have an issue within the factory.

Hope this helps.🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️🧛‍♂️

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

That's much worse than I expected. I had read in several "magazine" reports that its around 2.5 miles/kWh...

It must be the 20" AT tires vs 21" AS tires being the main reason. The ghost drain being another 5~10%. Rivian will solve the latter in SW update. Tesla did so its a matter of time. My Model 3 was losing about 3~4% overnight but now its less than 1%.

The driving speed is not unusual in the real world use, so I need to reset my expectations...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have not heard any indication that Rivian is working on this. have any owners found a way around it in the settings or any other tricks to minimize the loss?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have not heard any indication that Rivian is working on this. have any owners found a way around it in the settings or any other tricks to minimize the loss?
My truck is going to service tomorrow, but if I get it back over the weekend I am going to take some internal measurements of power usage. I'm assuming they just don't have enough of the hardware going into sleep mode.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
My truck is going to service tomorrow, but if I get it back over the weekend I am going to take some internal measurements of power usage. I'm assuming they just don't have enough of the hardware going into sleep mode.
Looking forward to see what you find out.

In the mean time, I think if enough owners put a service request in for this, it may get the attention it deserves. An inefficient vehicle needs to be better at preserving the power it has , not worse.

OP
OP

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister

1038 Miles Driven
648 KWh out of charger

1.6 miles per KWh

1038 Miles driven

Take away vampire losses:

1038 Miles Driven
498 KWh used

2.08 miles per KWh, with charging losses, which I would be happier with.

and

1038 Miles Driven
438 KWh used

2.39 miles per KWh or 299 miles on a full charge.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

what drive modes did you use? you have the 20 AT? do you use climate control every time you drive? flat roads or hilly?

OP
OP

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Asside from trying out conserve and sport mode briefly during the month I have had it in All-Purpose 99% of the time. I have AT Tires, mostly flat just a few rolling hills, I use the heater about 50% of the time. Mostly just in the morning not the afternoon.

Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Its hard to drive these truck "conservatively" so as I get more used to it (and don't let my wife drive it) my watts per mile should go up closer to what thedole is seeing.

Charging at home is practically free for me with all the solar and time of use. So the only time I really care about mileage is longer trips where I don't want to wait to charge.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Well I might be spending more $$ paying for electricity for the truck to sit than for me actually driving the truck. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Hopefully they get this fixed in a timely manner through OTA.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Well I might be spending more $$ paying for electricity for the truck to sit than for me actually driving the truck. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Hopefully they get this fixed in a timely manner through OTA.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. They better get it fixed or they are going to loose customers. The truck is getting more expensive all the time.

Reactions: Max

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Thats exactly what I was thinking. They better get it fixed or they are going to loose customers. The truck is getting more expensive all the time.
For the month of April so far I’ve only had ~150kWh pass through my EVSE for my XC40 Recharge. That includes miles driven and any loss from sitting.

So the Rivian burning 200-300kWh literally just sitting there will be more than I used in my current vehicle driving/sitting this month.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
If you're concerned about paying a few bucks for electricity then this truck is probably not for you. F150, Silverado, RAM ICE owners probably don't ask how much it costs for gas
The concern is paying bucks for electricity that are way above what it should be. Just because the truck is expensive doesn't mean people are willing to fork out money for electricity use that shouldn't be happening. If someone in a Silverado or F150 are only getting 4 mph when they should be getting 10 they would be asking questions. Throwing money out the door is a big deal
Sponsored