First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Given that I'm in Southern Ontario. I do drive a pickup today (Honda Ridgeline) and do switch to winter tires in the winter months (6 months of the year approx) because we go up to the cottage/cabin a bunch of times and drive on the frozen lake/ice fishing/etc... The winter tires do help significantly. Then I switch to All-Seasons for the remainder of the year.

Having said all that, I have never put All-Terrain tires on a truck (I've had a truck for the past 15 years). I love the look of them but was always told that it's not necessary for the amount of times I would use it (ie. Winter only). Plus in the summer months they will be noisy and I would wear down the tread of the AT tires.

Is it worth paying the extra $2,500 CAD to get All-Terrain ($4,800 for the all black rims which I love)? Or stick with the 21" All-Seasons and see how it performs in the winter and maybe get Winters?

Given the CAD pricing of the truck on the Rivian site is 15% higher than what the exchange rate suggests any savings would help.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hey folks

I did send an email to customer service asking a few questions related to this post. Questions and answers listed below. They reference the R1T owners guide, I have included that link below as well.

https://assets.rivian.com/k534zewng...b7870c554/r1t-owners-guide-en-us-20211122.pdf

2. Is there a sunglasses holder in the front for the driver?
There is no sunglass holder, but there is convenient under-seat storage where you can store such items. Please reference page 106 on the R1T Owner’s Guide to see a picture.

3. Tire pressure monitor is there one included. My 2015 Ram 1500 had tire pressure warning and could show each tire and its current pressure
Yes, tire pressure will be shown on the Driver Display. The vehicle is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with individual tire pressure display. Please reference page 154 on the Owner’s Guide.

4. Does the R1T utilize heat pumps for efficiency?
No, the R1T does not have a heat pump.

5. Garage door opener – is there one built into the R1T?
There is no garage door opener built in. However, with our Over the Air (OTA) system updates, that could be a possibility in the future. I agree, that would be a great feature.

6. Does the R1T offer cabin preconditioning via the mobile app? In the winter heat things up, in the summer cool things off?
Yes, you will be able to control the vehicle HVAC through the Rivian app. You can also set rules and schedule heating and cooling your vehicle depending on max convenience.
[3]

Rivian R1T R1S Winter/Snow/Ice performance asset

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Is it worth paying the extra $2,500 CAD to get All-Terrain ($4,800 for the all black rims which I love)? Or stick with the 21" All-Seasons and see how it performs in the winter and maybe get Winters?

IME, yes to the AT’s on your favorite rims which you can leave on year round. The AT’s are not as soft as say Blizzacks so the wear is better. I’ve run GY Duratracks, Firestone Destination AT’s, Coopers etc on trucks and SUVs in Colorado for years.

Alternatively run the 20” Pirelli scorpions and upgrade later to AT’s.

Rivian R1T R1S Winter/Snow/Ice performance B768924D-9438-4C6A-BE35-2786F93B3223

Last edited:
OP
OP
shkelton

shkelton

First Name
Jacek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Civic, 2009 Avanger
Thank you for that a screen shot - much appreciated. Glad to see things being added. What about trip information, overall performance stats?

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
IME, yes to the AT’s on your favorite rims which you can leave on year round. The AT’s are not as soft as say Blizzacks so the wear is better. I’ve run GY Duratracks, Firestone Destination AT’s, Coopers etc on trucks and SUVs in Colorado for years.

B768924D-9438-4C6A-BE35-2786F93B3223.jpeg
That truck looks sweet - that looks like my exact build. Hopefully it's mine they're getting ready - lol.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@stickyfingers, my wife has a ’16 Cayenne GTS and we switch her out of the bigger summer rims and performance tires to smaller 19” wheelset with proper winter sneakers for ski season. It’s a sled.

Cheaper to have a proper winter setup than to get in an accident.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Huh? I thought the 20" were the ATs? Were you thinking of the 21s" instead?
Sponsored