shkelton

First Name
Jacek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Civic, 2009 Avanger
Hello

I was wondering if there has been any data provided on performance/normal daily driving experience in cold weather. I’m assuming 20” Tires with off road package.

Things that come to my mind:
  • Because of the extreme weight stopping distance in snow/ice
  • How deep of snow can it handle? Slushy snow vs white powder
    what about a steep incline with snow or ice on the road
  • What kind of range hit when lets say it is 0 degrees outside? Running the heaters inside, heated seats? Comparable to running the AC?
  • How well does the defrost work for the front and rear windows
  • How well do the wipers work with snow and ice on the windshield? Strong wiper motors?
  • Are the side mirrors heated?
I’m coming from a 2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel big horn addition with aggressive all terrain 20” tires. I certainly needed more room to come to a complete stop when icy on the roads (assume regen breaking a big plus on this one). Always had to watch not to start-fish tailing – slow down put it in 4x4. Never had an issue going from stopped position in snowy/icy weather, even up our steep road. I could easily take 9/10” of snow. I have seen plenty of info on the R1T in dry conditions, summer, off road, ect. But not much on winter/cold weather.

Lastly any info on a remote start type function. I get that here is no “start to the engine” but in cold or even hot weather can you use the remote app on the phone to heat up the truck, get the seats and steering wheel nice and toasty – defrost the windows remotely before get to it? I suppose I can ask customer service on this one. The RAM was great, it would detect if cold or hot outside, when I would remote start the vehicle it would automatically warm up the steering wheel, and defrost the windows.

Perhaps there is a post with this kind of info already that I missed, if so could someone please provide a link that would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I haven't seen anything about snow/mud. performance. The tires are ATs, so they'll be somewhat limited on mud. As for snow, the tires are 3peak and snowflake rated. They should do pretty well but these Pirelli Scorpion ATs are new and no other vehicle uses them.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Regen will not help you stop on ice. The only thing that will help you stop better on ice is better tires.

given that you can set climate control to be always on, or remotely, defrosting the windshield shouldn’t be an issue. I was disappointed to find out it isn’t heated, but the rear window on R1T does have a defroster.

mirrors are heated as far as I know

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

If they would stop doing all the test drives in the southern latitudes you could get the answers to your questions pretty quickly. They are going "soft" for the winter!!!! ha ha

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think TFL will get their review truck on January. So we may get some performance in cold weather there.

Sponsored

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I get that here is no “start to the engine” but in cold or even hot weather can you use the remote app on the phone to heat up the truck, get the seats and steering wheel nice and toasty – defrost the windows remotely before get to it?
I keep my car in the garage, but it still does get pretty cold in the winter. It would be wonderful to be able to warm the truck up in the garage without gassing myself to death.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I keep my car in the garage, but it still does get pretty cold in the winter. It would be wonderful to be able to warm the truck up in the garage without gassing myself to death.
If it is not currently available I can guarantee it will be as an OTA update.

My Leaf has that and it makes no sense to not have it aside from the time crunch to get things out the door.

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
The weight distribution would also be beneficial. Since Pickups tend to be front heavy, I use 100 lbs. of sand in the back of my Titan. If the Rivian is more balanced, which it should be with that heavy battery in the middle and motors at the four wheels. Should be perfect in snow as long as you use the proper tires.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

More importantly, does the Rivian have Preconditioning??

My I-pace has Preconditioning which warms the car interior and battery to optimum while plugged in so you have a full charge before heading out.
My Caddy PHEV does the same, either heating or cooling the car by hitting the remote several minutes before getting in. It'll turn on the seat and steering wheel heaters as well, if I'm smart enough to set it up that way when exiting the car.

Fortunately, our temperate climate in Portland somewhat mitigates the need for either. For those who experience great extremes throughout the year, let's hope the Rivians deliver some preconditioning options to avoid freezin' or fryin'. ? / ?

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I haven't seen anything about snow/mud. performance. The tires are ATs, so they'll be somewhat limited on mud. As for snow, the tires are 3peak and snowflake rated. They should do pretty well but these Pirelli Scorpion ATs are new and no other vehicle uses them.
Actually the Scorpion ATs are not new. Have been around since 2016 and are very comparable to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or the Cooper Discoverer AT. R1T is using the Scorpion AT in 275/65 r20, which is a very common size for off-road or AT tire. Most AT tires in this size have a Light Truck or LT rating, which these Scorpions have, but there are some differing load speed variations out there. What's interesting is the Scorpion AT in this size (and most similar sizes) comes in LT 126S rating as well as 116H. The same tire sized down for 18" wheels comes in 124S and 116T.

The 116H rated tire in 275/65 r20 shows a manufacturer compatibility code of "RIV". The 18" wheel counterpart in 116T rating is a factory option on the Ford Expedition and shows Ford and Jeep in the compatibility list. I don't think Rivian commissioned the tire special for the R1T/S, but what I find interesting is the 116H is rated for up to 130MPH where 116T is rated for 118MPH and the size used by the R1T is the only one in the Scorpion AT series that has an H speed rating. The 275/65 r20s are in the system as available from what I can see on our distributor access portal, there's nothing to indicate that it's special order. In fact, regional warehouse is showing 3 in stock. For the same in 124S rating, there's 19 in stock. > 20 in stock for the 275/65 r18 116T Scorpion ATs...

Of course, 3 available is not a full set or reliable quantity. They may not actually be available, could be staged at the distributor for Rivian... Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to say that the Scorpion AT have been around a bit and are reasonably well rated AT tires. They're about as aggressive as one would want to get if they still drive most of the time on paved roads and want to keep road noise and roll resistance minimized. FWIW, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W come in 275/65 r20 with a 118U rating. I'd definitely consider those for the R1T if I needed tires and couldn't get the Scorpions. I'm wondering if Rivian will qualify any other tire options?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Actually the Scorpion ATs are not new. Have been around since 2016 and are very comparable to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W or the Cooper Discoverer AT. R1T is using the Scorpion AT in 275/65 r20, which is a very common size for off-road or AT tire. Most AT tires in this size have a Light Truck or LT rating, which these Scorpions have, but there are some differing load speed variations out there. What's interesting is the Scorpion AT in this size (and most similar sizes) comes in LT 126S rating as well as 116H. The same tire sized down for 18" wheels comes in 124S and 116T.

The 116H rated tire in 275/65 r20 shows a manufacturer compatibility code of "RIV". The 18" wheel counterpart in 116T rating is a factory option on the Ford Expedition and shows Ford and Jeep in the compatibility list. I don't think Rivian commissioned the tire special for the R1T/S, but what I find interesting is the 116H is rated for up to 130MPH where 116T is rated for 118MPH and the size used by the R1T is the only one in the Scorpion AT series that has an H speed rating. The 275/65 r20s are in the system as available from what I can see on our distributor access portal, there's nothing to indicate that it's special order. In fact, regional warehouse is showing 3 in stock. For the same in 124S rating, there's 19 in stock. > 20 in stock for the 275/65 r18 116T Scorpion ATs...

Of course, 3 available is not a full set or reliable quantity. They may not actually be available, could be staged at the distributor for Rivian... Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to say that the Scorpion AT have been around a bit and are reasonably well rated AT tires. They're about as aggressive as one would want to get if they still drive most of the time on paved roads and want to keep road noise and roll resistance minimized. FWIW, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W come in 275/65 r20 with a 118U rating. I'd definitely consider those for the R1T if I needed tires and couldn't get the Scorpions. I'm wondering if Rivian will qualify any other tire options?
I swear, I read somewhere Pirelli had made this tire specifically for the Rivian. My mistake.

IF it's comparable to the Falken AT3W, then it should be outstanding on snow and in the wet. I had those tires on my Wrangler and it practically walked through heavy snow and never gave me a problem in rain. Now I've got Falken MTs and I'm curious to see how they behave in heavy snow. I'll find out this weekend when we FINALLY get snow in Denver..

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I swear, I read somewhere Pirelli had made this tire specifically for the Rivian. My mistake.
They did. And while the Scorpion AT tire is not new per se, this specific variant is.

Three tires built specifically for your Rivian
The quad-motor drive in the R1T and R1S is designed to deliver outstanding performance. But the tires you choose also play an important role in the handling, range and off-road capabilities of your Rivian. We partnered with Pirelli to develop and tune three tires specifically for our vehicles and their unique capabilities. While each one is optimized for a specific driving experience, all three offer strong all-around performance and range.

20" All-Terrain
Size: 275/65R20 116H

Our 20" All-Terrains are your go-anywhere, do-anything tires. Designed to handle everything from rock crawling to dirt trails, these tires are great in everyday situations but really shine when the asphalt ends and the road gets rough. We offer two designs for the 20" wheel, both of which are forged and machined for a superior strength-to-weight ratio. The first is available in anthracite and is covered in a scratch- and chip-resistant clearcoat. The second comes in two finishes: a lighter one with same durable high-gloss clearcoat, and a darker version with a tinted clearcoat. Both designs feature a yellow accent.

21" Road
Size: 275/55R21 116H XL

Thanks to their ultra-low rolling resistance, the 21" all-season Road tires included with the R1T and R1S will help you optimize range year-round. The aluminum alloy wheels are created using a special tilt-casting process that ensures strength and uniformity, while clip-in aerodynamic covers help reduce drag and still allow for brake cooling. Each wheel is finished in high-gloss black, machine polished and then covered in a durable clearcoat that adds an extra level of scratch and corrosion resistance.

22" Sport
Size: 275/50R22 115H XL

For those looking to take full advantage of their Rivian’s performance in the spring, summer and fall months, the 22" Sport tires provide great traction for on-road handling. This tire’s unique compound provides solid grip on wet and dry road surfaces that enhances acceleration, braking and cornering capabilities. The 22" Sport wheel uses the same tilt-casting process as our 21" Road wheels. The wheels also come in a lighter, high-gloss version with black pockets and a darker option that uses a tinted clearcoat, both featuring the contrasting yellow accent.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Looking through Pirelli tire specs and old catalog info, it seems that they had the Scorpion AT in 275/65-20 118T just as they have the 275/65-18 116T. But that 118T rated tire for the 20" wheel is no longer available. Was there for 2020, not there in the 2021 list... It has been replaced by the same with the 116H rating that Rivian is using. So if Rivian has commissioned the new 116H rated tire, and it seems they have, Pirelli doesn't seem to see a reason to make it and the 118T rated one in the same size.

It seems Pirelli has dropped other similarly rated models in favor of the 116H and 115H rated tires for the 21" and 22" options Rivian is using as well.

So not new tires specifically, but they have definitely got Pirelli to offer up Rivian-specified ratings for their desired sizes. I wonder if Pirelli had to change any actual specs or formulation for these tires or if they were able to test and rate them to qualify for the desired ratings?

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The tires are custom versions of existing tires, in the case of the 20":

PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN: THE OFF-ROAD TIRE
Pirelli’s 275/65R20 off-road tire, the Scorpion All Terrain Plus, was also specifically developed for the R1T and R1S with electric adventure in mind.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is Pirelli's On-/Off- Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for drivers of pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs who want a balanced blend of on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is designed with a focus on optimizing durability, traction and wear resistance, in addition to providing snow traction: it gained indeed the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
The Scorpion All Terrain Plus is molded into a symmetric, high-void pattern. This pattern is designed to provide smooth and quiet on-road operation along with aggressive looks and confident off-road traction. Deep grooves and independent tread blocks help provide the clawing action needed to find grip in loose terrain, and conical stone ejectors resist punctures by forcing small rocks from the tread.
In this case, the challenge to create a dedicated version of these tires for Rivian has been to match their low rolling resistance targets with the off-road applications of the Scorpion All Terrain.
To achieve this result, Pirelli’s engineers designed a dedicated mold in order to reduce the weight of the tire, adding then a special compound for light trucks that made the tires more resistant to cuts and lacerations.

https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/pirelli-tires-tailor-made-for-rivian

Looking through Pirelli tire specs and old catalog info, it seems that they had the Scorpion AT in 275/65-20 118T just as they have the 275/65-18 116T. But that 118T rated tire for the 20" wheel is no longer available. Was there for 2020, not there in the 2021 list... It has been replaced by the same with the 116H rating that Rivian is using. So if Rivian has commissioned the new 116H rated tire, and it seems they have, Pirelli doesn't seem to see a reason to make it and the 118T rated one in the same size.

It seems Pirelli has dropped other similarly rated models in favor of the 116H and 115H rated tires for the 21" and 22" options Rivian is using as well.

So not new tires specifically, but they have definitely got Pirelli to offer up Rivian-specified ratings for their desired sizes. I wonder if Pirelli had to change any actual specs or formulation for these tires or if they were able to test and rate them to qualify for the desired ratings?
Sponsored