Sponsored

Reverse and Drive are backwards.....

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
some other whiner
That really had me laughing … calling yourself a whiner.

i kind of get how it could feel … push forward to drive and pull down/back to reverse. I think that feeling might come from the fact that on most automatic transmissions you would pull down/back to go into reverse.

But my head tells me all kinds of things that others don't seem to hear as well.
You aren’t totally alone in that.

Good luck with your truck. Enjoy the heck out of this wonderful vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
My only gripe about parking is it should creep in reverse. That's one upside to an ICE car.
OMG, this! I've talked to many people about OPD and they all love it. However, the one universal "but..." is the reverse creeping. That's a hard one for muscle memory and another part of why I almost smashed the BMW bumper last night.
Something else somewhat related just occurred to me when I went into the store an hour ago. What happens if I park and but forget to hit Park. So, I get out of the car when it's on Hold. Pretty sure the answer is that the truck overcomes my stupidity. I just haven't seen this addressed before.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What happens if I park and but forget to hit Park. So, I get out of the car when it's on Hold. Pretty sure the answer is that the truck overcomes my stupidity. I just haven't seen this addressed before.
You get a nastygram on the driver display and it goes into park.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Just picked up my R1T on Tuesday. Lovin' it.
However, I can't seem to get my head wrapped around Drive being DOWN and Reverse being UP. That's so un-intuitive to me! I parallel parked it last night for the 1st time and came 1/2" away (not exaggerating) from smashing into the BMW behind me because, as you always are, I was "rushed" trying to get in the spot and not hold up traffic. I instinctively pushed up to go forward and....
Yes, I get why they did it. It's the same order as automatics have been for years. From the top P R N D manuals. But having not had a stalk on the tree for gears in decades, it doesn't translate for me. I also know if they would have done it "my way", some other whiner would come on here and complain about the opposite.
Not really complaining actually. Just remarking that it's another thing I need to adapt to. And there are already so many on this technological marvel....
This is how it was on ICE with automatic transmission and the gear shifter on the steering wheel. Reverse was up. Same is with the gear shifter between the driver and the passenger: the reverse gear is moving the gear shifter forward.

OP
OP

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
You get a nastygram on the driver display and it goes into park.
Well now I just wanna see what the Nastygram looks like. Hopefully it doesn't make me wait long, standing by the window watching after I've thrown my phone/ fob far away into the yard

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Whether this was part of Rivian's thinking or not, this goes waaaay back to three on the tree. Reverse is up, forward/1st is down.

Yes, I drove one of them in my early teens.

Rivian R1T R1S Reverse and Drive are backwards..... 1699563944531

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well now I just wanna see what the Nastygram looks like. Hopefully it doesn't make me wait long, standing by the window watching after I've thrown my phone/ fob far away into the yard
If you are unbelted, it happens as soon as you open the door.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is how it was on ICE with automatic transmission and the gear shifter on the steering wheel. Reverse was up. Same is with the gear shifter between the driver and the passenger: the reverse gear is moving the gear shifter forward.
These are both true from drive position but not from park. With car in park reverse is the first click down on the column and first click to the rear on the floor.

OP
OP

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
Yes, I think that's why whomever started EV shifting went this direction. To mimic an automatic where it goes R-N-D top to bottom.
However, I think of it like every other moving vehicle with a lever for a throttle - forward to go, well forward and the opposite for backward. I take that boat or plane throttle and invert it in my mind and thus forward becomes up.
Again. this is all a muse. I'll forget I even had that instinct within a couple weeks. Hopefully....

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Just wait a month or two when you’ve become used to the Rivian and you go back to a ICE vehicle for the first time in a while… THAT will freak you out. I nearly crashed instantly pulling out of the parking lot when Rivian gave me a Toyota Camry rental while they fixed my truck.

It’s taken a bit of adjusting, but now I LOVE driving the Rivian, that I find excuses to use it for something (wallet hates me). I suspect you’ll find that happy place very soon. Enjoy the ride!

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
You'll notice immediately when you go to open the door if you didn't put it in park. You have to double pull the handle to get out.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Well now I just wanna see what the Nastygram looks like.
You mean this? This is all it does if you open the door (double pull) when not in park:

Rivian R1T R1S Reverse and Drive are backwards..... 1699569791853

Rivian R1T R1S Reverse and Drive are backwards..... 1699569806558

Afraid it's not really all that exciting, LOL. 😆

Edit: I guess it could be more exciting if your door sensor wasn't working. Or like those old videos of people using Tesla AutoPilot and climbing out the window with the car moving, haha.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
BMW i3 agrees with the OP... you push the top of the lever forward to go forward and pull it back to go back. Of course this is not an UP/DOWN type device as found in the Rivian or Tesla's.

Rivian R1T R1S Reverse and Drive are backwards..... 1699571452719

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
Just picked up my R1T on Tuesday. Lovin' it.
However, I can't seem to get my head wrapped around Drive being DOWN and Reverse being UP. That's so un-intuitive to me! I parallel parked it last night for the 1st time and came 1/2" away (not exaggerating) from smashing into the BMW behind me because, as you always are, I was "rushed" trying to get in the spot and not hold up traffic. I instinctively pushed up to go forward and....
Yes, I get why they did it. It's the same order as automatics have been for years. From the top P R N D manuals. But having not had a stalk on the tree for gears in decades, it doesn't translate for me. I also know if they would have done it "my way", some other whiner would come on here and complain about the opposite.
Not really complaining actually. Just remarking that it's another thing I need to adapt to. And there are already so many on this technological marvel....
It’s a learning curve, yes I found it different from other vehicles driven in the past (ICE cars & trucks )

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Yeah there were a few things like this that took me a few days to get used to (one pedal driving and high brake regen, coming from driving stick shifts all my life) - though not this specifically, as it is the correct way same as every car going back decades to my dad's 70's Caprice Classic station wagon with stalk shifter.

Now I'm not only used to just about everything and find any excuse to go drive (over 8k miles in 3.5 months!), I prefer it to anything else.

I had a Volvo C40 Recharge rental for two weeks when my truck was in the shop. While it wasn't a terrible car by any means, it made me appreciate so many things about the Rivian even more. Going back to my truck it took me 10 minutes to say "this is one thousand times better than the Volvo", and really mean it.

You'll be good after a week or so and never went to go back.
Sponsored