First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
They are referencing this section

Vehicle/Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) Inspections
Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time, unless the vehicle is new (MSO) and was acquired from an in-state dealer or in-state manufacturer. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks, and motorcycles providing that the VIN number is accurate on the safety inspection certificate.
Trailers, boats, off-highway vehicles, and snowmobiles require separate VIN or HIN inspections, which can be completed using a Form TC-661, Certificate of Inspection completed by a DMV employee, designated contractor, designated contractor, Utah peace officer or designated enforcement agency employee, licensed dealer, or a certified safety inspector. Note that this may be completed by a DMV employee at no extra charge.
At my local DMV, they literally walk out to the parking lot and check the ViN. That wasnā€™t needed for my Rivian. Everything was just sent to me. Title arrived first, then plates and registration a few days later.

FYI for folks in UT who donā€™t like the default plate style that Rivian sends, you can take them to your local DMV office and swap them out for $12.
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I am finally done. I got the permanent registration card today. It came from PennDOT by way of NY through FedEx. Not the most seamless, efficient way to get things done. But it is done.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My Guide is being as helpful as he can, but system not set up well for special circumstancesā€¦..registration will be in FL, living in MD. FL drivers license with MD address.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Got both my Georgia Title (usps) and plate/reg (fedex) today.

Took delivery last week of June with temp tags expiring end of September.

I know a number of people have had issues, temps expiring etc and some are concerned as a result.

Just wanted to share that I got mine with no issues and plenty of time to spare.

Ymmv.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Welp, I'm also in the list of folks that are temporarily screwed on state registration. My temporary Illinois registration lapsed last week and now Rivian is telling me not to expect the PA ones until August 29th.

It's clear that they didn't even bother filing with the state until nearly 60 days after I purchased my truck. I also feel that 29th date is complete bullshit thrown out just to make me go away and buy them time.

I'm debating requesting for them to either cover any payments while the vehicle has to sit or provide an equivalent Rivian loaner. I'm also debating on filing a complaint with the PA and/or IL state AG. (PA requires paperwork to be sent within 20 days of purchase)

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Welp, I'm also in the list of folks that are temporarily screwed on state registration. My temporary Illinois registration lapsed last week and now Rivian is telling me not to expect the PA ones until August 29th.

It's clear that they didn't even bother filing with the state until nearly 60 days after I purchased my truck. I also feel that 29th date is complete bullshit thrown out just to make me go away and buy them time.

I'm debating requesting for them to either cover any payments while the vehicle has to sit or provide an equivalent Rivian loaner. I'm also debating on filing a complaint with the PA and/or IL state AG. (PA requires paperwork to be sent within 20 days of purchase)
Very similar to my experience and I hate to hear that some are still having experiencing this kind of a runaround.

Overall, it does sound like things are headed in the right direction.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Overall, it does sound like things are headed in the right direction.
If you mean they appear to be changing the sheets after defecating in the bed, sure, I guess you might say that.

From my perspective, the situation is not right. It's not right for me and not right for the dozens or hundreds of other folks that Rivian has done this to. It's an incompetent, sloppy, stupid, shitfest.

jafar

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Portland vehicle purchased new from Rivian on May 20th, 2022. Paid for use tax on June 17th. I did a plate transfer when I purchased the vehicle but none of that has been processed by DMV. My guide said that on their end, it shows sent out on August 1st to Oregon DMV who are about 6-8 weeks behind.
In other words, it took Rivian 2 months to process a title transfer when they refused to allow me to do T&R on my own (vehicle fully paid off) and now, my temps are expired and it will probably take another month for DMV to process my paperwork šŸ˜

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

My temporary Illinois registration lapsed last week and now Rivian is telling me not to expect the PA ones until August 29th.
When did you purchase your truck? Just trying to extrapolate when I might get mine. My temp tag expires 14 Sep (got the truck middle of June).

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
When did you purchase your truck? Just trying to extrapolate when I might get mine. My temp tag expires 14 Sep (got the truck middle of June).
Delivered May 12.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I asked my guide for an update & he confirmed that there was ā€œa brief hold-up with the DMVā€, but ā€œwas told that it will be processed S00Nā€ (0ā€™s substituted by me for the lulz).

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

I am still waiting on my registration too. Temp tags expired on 8/16. Rivian told me today that the DMV has it, they just don't know they have it. When asked for tracking information, they cannot provide it because registration is handled by a 3rd party that Rivian has no control over.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Has anyone in WA succeeded in transferring plates from their trade in? Or does Rivian always submit paperwork to acquire new plates?
Sponsored

Last edited: