NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Rivian is attempting to register my vehicle for me and I haven't received my title yet. I was concerned when I saw this on the MN DVS website 🤦‍♂️ Looks like I’m the proud owner of a $80,000 scooter 🤣
Ha, yep this is exactly how mine went as well. After my visit to my local title office when I look online I now see Rivian Automotive LLC. When you get the paper title you'll need to take it into your local title office and have them correct it. Corrections normally have a fee associated but they didn't charge me for it since it was a mistake that they made.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
For anyone who has self registered, would you mind providing a quick rundown of the process, guide interactions, and necessary paperwork to register yourself? I'm a FL resident (military) and living in MD. My current vehicles are registered in FL, so I'm anticipating some challenges with the process that I'm hoping to circumvent by self registering. Thanks in advance!
I can't speak for FL or MD processes or military considerations and what Rivian thinks they need to send you for your situation but...
- ~80 days into 90 day temp tag validity, Guide reached out to indicate challenges Rivian was having with NC remote T&R processing (notary requirements change they said). Guide suggested Rivian send paperwork for me to DIY. Guide was my only interface with Rivian T&R team through which DIY docs are sent. If guide hasn't reached out to you, reach out to them to request DIY if you think you'll need or want it.
- I received from Rivian CA 1) Certificate of Origin (COO) 2) Buying agreement reflecting Rivian not charging for title, reg and doc feeds. You should have gotten a new e-sign notification upon requesting DIY and indication from guide that a refund is in process 3) Illinois tax waiver. NC DMV didn't seem interested in this.
- I was able to download and fill out most docs before going to my local DMV. I needed to get my title app notarized for me and co-applicant (wife). Not sure if you will for FL
- Notarized COO but didn't need to, apparently
- Needed payment method to cover what could be many thousands in taxes, fees, etc. much of which will come back from the money you paid Rivian for them doing T&R
- Pretty painless with the doc pre-prep. Even my small town office treated Rivian T&R (no in-state entity, direct-to-consumer, etc.) like second nature. I was in/out in <10 minutes with a plate and received title in <2 weeks.

Good luck!

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Another step in the right direction today. This started 3/22 and has gone through t-plates (eventually expiring), back and forth conversations with guide and Rivian, new temp plates from PA, etc. Today I asked the inspection station if I could get it inspected with the pink slip. I now have an inspection sticker so I am actually getting close to wrapped up with paperwork.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
My guide just informed me it is anticipated to be finished with registration by August 15, my drive out expires August 11. She was kind enough to offer a rental so I can park my $80k illegal to drive truck.

The question is...anticipated to be finished by Aug 15, does that mean plates delivered, or paperwork done and plates in the mail?
Got a call from the Tag/Title office today (this is the first contact from them), she told me everything is processed, everything is ready they just did not receive any address in the envelope/packet from the third party for where they were supposed to send the plate so I can stop and pick up a tag, all I have to do is show ID at their office when I pick it up.

This is 2 weeks before tag expiration.

Last edited:

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
Rivian R1T R1S Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration 4EA13971-83BD-43C3-9DD4-7135A183D4E6

Finally legal and a week to spare before the temp permit expires! I did have Rivian do the registration for me in MN. It took a few emails to RJ (and he responded), but they eventually came through. Hopefully they are getting better at this…

Sponsored

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Received my title (UT) this week. Just under 2 months after delivery. Hopefully plates and registration will soon follow. .
I got an email last week saying I needed to get mine inspected. Did you have to do that too? If so where did you go?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I got an email last week saying I needed to get mine inspected. Did you have to do that too? If so where did you go?
Did not. I think it’s only required in certain counties in UT and I’m not in one of them.

Regardless, it looks like new vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements in UT.

https://dmv.utah.gov/register/inspections

Last edited:

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I got it today. The date on it is four months to the day. I am referring to finally getting my PA title !

wsgrunner

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I'm in California and I got my registration and plates 15 days after I took delivery of my R1T. Very efficient!

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Still waiting in Florida. They already have a rental reserved for me in anticipation of them not having me the tags before temp expires. :headbang:

Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
The folks that had Rivian send the paperwork to self register... did you have loans or were they paid off? I'm concerned that this only applies if you don't have a lien since Rivian is obligated to file the paperwork with the lien info.

When I took delivery I was told that they couldn't transfer vanity plate because I was going from a car to a truck. I've gone car > truck > car > truck > car before and never had an issue. I wondered if this was due to the Rivian being a "heavy truck" in Florida. I spoke to the local tax collector office and they said I should indeed be able to transfer the tag. My guide indicated they couldn't but after a little pushing, they were able to "amend the paperwork" to do the transfer instead of registration. Rivian had no issues transferring my friends for his small/light truck. Though like him they have to file the paperwork and who knows how long that's going to take. I hope I'm not in this debacle waiting for registration to get done.

Randomly I was looking at reviews for Vroom and they have a bunch of complaints about title and registration issues. I wonder if they're using the same company.
My guide and Rivian came through. It took a few weeks but I noticed on Monday that the FL DMV had the Rivian on my account with the correct, transferred plate. Today I got the registration from General Systems Solutions via FedEx. Not sure why they were telling me they couldn't transfer it but I hope they handle this properly without the back and forth for other folks in the future.

Lberryle

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica, Fiat Abarth
Occupation
Retired
I signed documents at delivery and even had 2 online notary sessions (one for me, one for wife) for title power of attorney.
45 days after delivery, no clue on status of getting tag, etc. Of course all Rivian will tell me is that it’s in the hands of my state DMV and should be fine.

I know state agencies in general are struggling to keep up now more than pre-pandemic. As of a couple of weeks ago, VIN doesn’t show as even pending in DMV systems. Is anyone else getting anxious about docs? Has Rivian been any assistance in expediting or getting status?
Signed online doc for limited power of attorney for General Systems Solutions on 27 June. Received registration, and title 27 July. FYI, they did end up transferring my existing plate, which I was told, at delivery, would be impossible. Luckily, I had not discarded it.

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Can't wait for my MN scooter to be titled as well. I just received the POA and title paperwork to sign on Monday and mail back to Rivian. Sure enough they had the make listed as "Riva". My tags expire tomorrow so I will be in a rental for the foreseeable future. I'll be curious how long I have to drive whatever shit box I end up with

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I took delivery just over two weeks ago in Wisconsin. Looks like both my registration and my plates are arriving today.

Unfortunately I was supposed to have a plate transfer, not new plates, so I’ll have to do that myself. Considering others’ stories, I’m pleasantly surprised at how fast this was though.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Did not. I think it’s only required in certain counties in UT and I’m not in one of them.

Regardless, it looks like new vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements in UT.

https://dmv.utah.gov/register/inspections
They are referencing this section

Vehicle/Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) Inspections
Inspections of identification numbers are required for all vehicles or vessels to be titled in Utah for the first time, unless the vehicle is new (MSO) and was acquired from an in-state dealer or in-state manufacturer. Safety inspection certificates are acceptable means of verification for your cars, trucks, and motorcycles providing that the VIN number is accurate on the safety inspection certificate.
Trailers, boats, off-highway vehicles, and snowmobiles require separate VIN or HIN inspections, which can be completed using a Form TC-661, Certificate of Inspection completed by a DMV employee, designated contractor, designated contractor, Utah peace officer or designated enforcement agency employee, licensed dealer, or a certified safety inspector. Note that this may be completed by a DMV employee at no extra charge.
Sponsored