Sponsored

123Dallas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So assuming the charge rate and other battery performances are the same, is it worth $6K to go with the large pack? I know it’s based on use case, but is the 40ish miles worth an extra $6K? For those once in a while road trips, I think it’ll be nice but for daily, not really sure.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So assuming the charge rate and other battery performances are the same, is it worth $6K to go with the large pack? I know it’s based on use case, but is the 40ish miles worth an extra $6K? For those once in a while road trips, I think it’ll be nice but for daily, not really sure.
its worth it if you commute more 125 miles a day each way or more, if you have all terrain tires or you like to camp in your vehicle when overlanding.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
its worth it if you commute more 125 miles a day each way or more, if you have all terrain tires or you like to camp in your vehicle when overlanding.
Exactly if you are running AT’S and road tripping the Large pack is a must. Just from doing 3 camping trips now I would have been sweating it more with a smaller pack. Standard plus with 21’s is a no brainer though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
I’m one of the luckier one who was able to snatch a pre price hike LE with the $7500 tax credit. Same configuration today cost $98250. I always think to myself if, knocking on wood, I total my car, I will not be able to buy another R1S. I absolutely love the truck. Just last week a dual motor large pack cost ~$85k. This standard+ pack opens the door for me if I need to buy another R1S. Staying below $80k and getting the $3750 credit.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is VERY interesting. If Standard+ is an LFP battery pack (which I’m pretty sure is the case) the case for a dual performance just became a whole lot more clear. Or heck even a dual with a standard+ battery (to stay under 80K) and then upgrade the software to dual performance after purchase.

I know they’d talked about things and newer technologies in the works other than just the R2 and THIS must be part of it. Why would I go with a Model Y (or any of the competitors) when I can get a Rivian that does 4.5 sec 0-60, 315 miles of ACCURATE range, and 533 HP for 72K with the tax credit.

R2 will bring Rivian to the masses but one could argue that this new battery pack is their true ace in the hole.
Currently on a 2400 mile round trip for business with my Model Y and I can tell you that there is no way in hades that the MY will come close to the rated 300+ miles that Tesla advertises. 170 or so is pretty much the norm between charging. My R1T will easily beat that by 75-100 miles in similar driving conditions.

Sponsored

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Currently on a 2400 mile round trip for business with my Model Y and I can tell you that there is no way in hades that the MY will come close to the rated 300+ miles that Tesla advertises. 170 or so is pretty much the norm between charging. My R1T will easily beat that by 75-100 miles in similar driving conditions.
EXACTLY. the mileage estimates in Tesla’s are now becoming notorious for not reaching what they claim to. Which is exactly why I emphasized it. This new pricing/battery introduction AND the introduction of the R2 on March have me looking very closely at what Rivian is doing if I’m a Tesla owner.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Actually, the difference is not 40 miles. It is more like 24 miles because you charge the 80% and then you stop at 20%, so 24 miles is the only difference between the two battery packs.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Help, please. I notice that some of you have a Tesla Model Y, in addition to a RIVIAN. Which would you pick: the Rivian R1T or the Tesla Model Y? We are 77 and really ready to trade in the 2020 Model 3 we have had--lovely car but not all that comfortable and too tight for our aging bodies. We mostly just drive to town and back but will have a long road trip to the Midwest coming up this summer. I am really tempted by the new Rivian lower prices. We were just ready to order a new Y and trade in on our 3.
My wife has a model 3 and has been considering getting a Y
The Tesla superchargers are the biggest appeal and the step up into the rivian is definitely something to consider
We are waiting to see the new R2S reveal coming up the first week of March
Price - size - nacs - estimated delivery date are all unknowns at this time

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I would just add that the software battery unlock thingy didn't take pan out for Tesla as this huge revenue generator. At the end of the day, you are installing more material (cost) with a non zero chance of being able to charge the customer a premium for it later on. I really don't think Rivian can afford to waste batteries on a chance the revenue comes in later. They need those batteries to go into packs that are behind paid for right now.

Although the absurd premium of max pack at what accounts to a 1000% profit can offset any short term giveaways.
Has any manufacturer provided "on demand" or subscription pricing to unlocking mileage for a limited time? If there's some ability to add mileage using software, why not offer that for shorter time periods? Seems to me there are 2 consumer need states for needing more mileage (beyond just the run about town range):
1) People who have a long commute regularly (will want longer mileage all the time)
2) People who mostly drive about town (short distances) but every now and then take a long trip.

As you indicate, most (??) people will pay up front for what they need most, and thus will select the Standard pack version. But Rivian could extract more value (at a higher margin) when people took a long trip by providing Standard+ for a limited time (think $ per day, or a subscription model - x days per month).

Has anyone tried that?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m one of the luckier one who was able to snatch a pre price hike LE with the $7500 tax credit. Same configuration today cost $98250. I always think to myself if, knocking on wood, I total my car, I will not be able to buy another R1S. I absolutely love the truck. Just last week a dual motor large pack cost ~$85k. This standard+ pack opens the door for me if I need to buy another R1S. Staying below $80k and getting the $3750 credit.
Exact same situation with me. I'd 100% go for the standard plus pack with 21" wheels and be near the same cost and range as my current quad large.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

This EV9 barely came out and they’re already taking $10,000 off the sticker price

Rivian is available for $74,900 -$7,500
Leasing incentive = $67,400.

Toast on Arrival

Consumer reports most and least loved car brands based on Consumer Reports' owner satisfaction survey ranked Rivian at the top #1. In the same report Kia is #21.

TOA
https://www.consumerreports.org/car.../most-and-least-liked-car-brands-a1291429338/

IMG_7717.png

IMG_7718.png

IMG_7719.jpeg
Just to clarify, Rivian is only eligible (today anyway) for $3,750, not $7,500.

Also, You're comparing top trim EV9 with bottom trim R1S. Capabilities maybe similar but in reality, EV9 buyers off roading amounts essentially mall parking lots and kids sports field access. For those, the middle trimmed EV9s prices are significantly lower for EV9.

In the first month of sales for EV9, it outsold EV6 and where I am in OC, CA, I'm seeing several EV9s on the roads often already.

I'd bet that those that are looking for EV mini vans/wagons, and those that want something more than RAV4 hybrid are the likely buyers.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Seems clear the standard pack is the 105kW/h and the Standard plus is 120kW/h while the large stays at 135kW/h. So it is a $3000 price drop or you get $1.5-2k worth of extra batteries for the original starting price (post March 2022).

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

the EV9 has way lower price points with quite a few pieces of tech thats better than the Rivian in the places that matter for day to day use and road tripping. id still take the R1S but its pretty far fetched to assume Kia is toast.
Just wondering, what are these pieces of tech where EV9 is better? I've been with a friend on a Genesis electric SUV which probably has very similar tech and the only thing I wish I had on my R1S was the blind spot camera that displays when you switch lanes and then goes away. What else would you say it's better?

For Road Tripping for families what else does the Kia have that is better? I can think of better access to the third row, maybe captain chairs and their reclining/swiveling seats. (but are those seats available in the US)? Anything else?

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Has any manufacturer provided "on demand" or subscription pricing to unlocking mileage for a limited time? If there's some ability to add mileage using software, why not offer that for shorter time periods? Seems to me there are 2 consumer need states for needing more mileage (beyond just the run about town range):
1) People who have a long commute regularly (will want longer mileage all the time)
2) People who mostly drive about town (short distances) but every now and then take a long trip.

As you indicate, most (??) people will pay up front for what they need most, and thus will select the Standard pack version. But Rivian could extract more value (at a higher margin) when people took a long trip by providing Standard+ for a limited time (think $ per day, or a subscription model - x days per month).

Has anyone tried that?
Interesting idea. Say I'm on a trip and I want an extra 50 miles of range. Am I willing to pay $50 for a week to get it? Maybe......

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Just wondering, what are these pieces of tech where EV9 is better? I've been with a friend on a Genesis electric SUV which probably has very similar tech and the only thing I wish I had on my R1S was the blind spot camera that displays when you switch lanes and then goes away. What else would you say it's better?

For Road Tripping for families what else does the Kia have that is better? I can think of better access to the third row, maybe captain chairs and their reclining/swiveling seats. (but are those seats available in the US)? Anything else?
of course not saying Rivian doesnt have amazing tech but Kia has more lean towards family, day to day use and road tripping vs Rivian more for adventures, off trail.

has faster charging (better charging curve), bi-directional charging, power folding 2nd and 3rd row, captain chair second row, massaging/lounge chairs, more cup holders, better driver assistance tech, AA/CP support, digital review mirror, roof/door shades, remote park (gimmicky), auto rear liftgate

for family road trips its better because its more efficient and smaller battery means you'll charger faster and less often and some of the stuff i listed above.
Sponsored