Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
@emoore is saying they might be manufacturing Standard/Standard+ batteries with the same exact cells and modules that go into a Large pack, but by installing *fewer* modules overall. Think of a loaf of bread that's 20 slices -- a large pack of bread. Remove 8 slices. Same bread, you just get 4 less sandwiches out of a loaf. That's a standard pack of bread.

My analogy falls apart when it comes to software locking the Standard vs Standard+, but I'm assuming that's just a capacity limitation to prevent excess wear and tear. Logically, I'm assuming a Standard+ battery can be charged to the full usable pack capacity when it's at 100%, whereas a Standard battery will be capped to 70% of the full usable pack capacity, and report it as "100%" in the UI.

edit: assuming the above is true, and the Standard battery is just a capacity-limited Standard+ battery, then yes it may be technically possible for Rivian to unlock that with a one-time purchase down the road. TBD whether that's actually the case here or not.
For now, I think the standard pack and standard+ pack being the same physically makes sense because:

1. We know that Rivian will replace the standard pack with LFP later this year. In the short run where Standard pack is NCA chemistry, I don’t think it makes a lot of logistical sense to have a different process from the Standard+; doing so probably introduces more complexities than it’s worth

2. Owners of standard pack can be told they can charge to a 100% level today or tomorrow when LFP is introduced. So, the messaging to Standard pack owners is the same. (It would be confusing to tell some Standard pack owners to only charge to 70% daily and others 100% later on)

3. I don’t think the NCA chemistry standard pack would ever be software unlocked to allow Standard+. This is primarily to allow #2 to hold true. A “100%” NCA chemistry standard pack would really be charging to max 85% capacity (of the Standard+ pack)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Assuming that range rating for standard+ and large pack use the same methodology/derating coefficient, it should be about a 120KWh battery. $6k price reduction for less than $2500 reduction in battery cost seems odd. I am wondering if they're playing games with the EPA range like they did with max pack.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

R1S has off-road capability, seats 7 people with 0-60 in 4.5 seconds capability and has 315 miles of range.

I have plenty of tech and luxury in Rivian to keep me busy and satisfied.

Kia is toast and that's why folks are getting $10,000 off MSRP. Kia can see the writing on the wall.
first of all not sure why one has to be toast for the other to be successful. not everyone wants offroad capability. 90% of R1S owners are never going to use the offroad capability. if you've seen them on the road today, 80% of the drivers are soccer moms. if you wanna compare the two at the same price point the EV9 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and their long range model does 300 miles. and the EV9 has way lower price points with quite a few pieces of tech thats better than the Rivian in the places that matter for day to day use and road tripping. id still take the R1S but its pretty far fetched to assume Kia is toast.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Speculation is that Rivian is taking modules out of the existing large/max packs for the standard batteries. They are still NCM and the LFP standard still isn't being introduced yet.
seems like its a way for them to get to lower price points faster as the LFP packs will take time to supply and integrate into the production line. to me its an indicator that there may indeed be a demand shortage on the R1 line.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

first of all not sure why one has to be toast for the other to be successful. not everyone wants offroad capability. 90% of R1S owners are never going to use the offroad capability. if you've seen them on the road today, 80% of the drivers are soccer moms. if you wanna compare the two at the same price point the EV9 does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and their long range model does 300 miles. and the EV9 has way lower price points with quite a few pieces of tech thats better than the Rivian in the places that matter for day to day use and road tripping. id still take the R1S but its pretty far fetched to assume Kia is toast.
This EV9 barely came out and they’re already taking $10,000 off the sticker price

Rivian is available for $74,900 -$7,500
Leasing incentive = $67,400.

Toast on Arrival

Consumer reports most and least loved car brands based on Consumer Reports' owner satisfaction survey ranked Rivian at the top #1. In the same report Kia is #21.

TOA
https://www.consumerreports.org/car.../most-and-least-liked-car-brands-a1291429338/

Rivian R1T R1S Standard and Standard+ battery packs introduced; R1T and R1S base prices dropped (2/8/24) IMG_7717

Rivian R1T R1S Standard and Standard+ battery packs introduced; R1T and R1S base prices dropped (2/8/24) IMG_7718

Rivian R1T R1S Standard and Standard+ battery packs introduced; R1T and R1S base prices dropped (2/8/24) IMG_7719

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Interesting. Wonder if it's just software locked.
I can't imagine Rivian at this point would ship something they charge $3100 extra for "for free" as a software lock…. I would imagine it's Max Pack's chemistry in Standard Pack's form factor, since it's the same ratio Standard to S+ as it is Large to Max. (116% difference.)

Personally, I just think it's nuts that the *STANDARD* pack dual-motor on 21" wheels+road tires gets almost the same range as the quad motor *LARGE* pack on 20"+AT. (270 miles Standard Dual Road vs. 274 miles Quad Large All-Terrain.)

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

When is the new R1 refresh rumored to reach consumers hands? What is the new R1 electric architecture in comparison to today’s?

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

SO what is everyone thinking of the lowering of prices indictor of new "Standard" battery. Overall, it lowers the supposed price for my config 10,000. We were getting ready to drop the pin on a trade in for a new Model Y---Now I am not so sure. Thoughts?

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Help, please. I notice that some of you have a Tesla Model Y, in addition to a RIVIAN. Which would you pick: the Rivian R1T or the Tesla Model Y? We are 77 and really ready to trade in the 2020 Model 3 we have had--lovely car but not all that comfortable and too tight for our aging bodies. We mostly just drive to town and back but will have a long road trip to the Midwest coming up this summer. I am really tempted by the new Rivian lower prices. We were just ready to order a new Y and trade in on our 3.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Help, please. I notice that some of you have a Tesla Model Y, in addition to a RIVIAN. Which would you pick: the Rivian R1T or the Tesla Model Y? We are 77 and really ready to trade in the 2020 Model 3 we have had--lovely car but not all that comfortable and too tight for our aging bodies. We mostly just drive to town and back but will have a long road trip to the Midwest coming up this summer. I am really tempted by the new Rivian lower prices. We were just ready to order a new Y and trade in on our 3.
Rivian all day long unless you really really love depreciation. Rivian has more capability and will hold value better.

#Yolo

skip the soap bar looking model Y and pick-up the BRICK HOUSE.

Rivian R1T R1S Standard and Standard+ battery packs introduced; R1T and R1S base prices dropped (2/8/24) IMG_7341

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
(I traded my '23 MY for a '23 R1T)

Did you consider that on R1 you have a very high step to get into the cabin compared to a MY which is super easy to get in/out heightwise?

If your body is aging I would definitely make a test drive with an R1 before pulling the trigger to avoid a possible nasty surprise.
If you are planning to use a running board (aftermarket) then Rivian is a much better car overall but alas more expensive.

Citrinite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I drive an R1T and it's a great vehicle. However, it can be rather high off the ground (which may or may not present a challenge for you). I'd recommend that you go for a test drive and as long as you don't have any issues getting in and out of the vehicle, the R1S is great. It's very spacious, quiet, and comfortable. However, you may find the model Y to be easier to get in and out of since it's lower to the ground.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I would just add that the software battery unlock thingy didn't take pan out for Tesla as this huge revenue generator. At the end of the day, you are installing more material (cost) with a non zero chance of being able to charge the customer a premium for it later on. I really don't think Rivian can afford to waste batteries on a chance the revenue comes in later. They need those batteries to go into packs that are behind paid for right now.

Although the absurd premium of max pack at what accounts to a 1000% profit can offset any short term giveaways.

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
Whatever else people think, two months ago, you couldn't find an R1T under $80,750. Now, accounting for the tax credit, you can get one for $66,000. That's an incredible price change, and surely should unlock a big new market if Rivian has a way of finding them and marketing to them.
Sponsored