First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
its worth it if you commute more 125 miles a day each way or more, if you have all terrain tires or you like to camp in your vehicle when overlanding.
If you commute more than 125 miles a day each way (4 hours / day), I'd save the $6,000 to be part of a downpayment on a house closer to where you work.
Sponsored

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Clubs

I spoke to my guide about changing my large to standard+ and was told that standards (including std+), won't be configurable until the summer.

It's odd (or maybe a wise marketing strategy) that on Day 1 of the announcement there were a handful of std+ in the shop but now they're no longer producing anymore. Allows Rivian to market a lower entry point but continue to push sales of the larger batteries.

The summer timeframe also may mean only LFP for std+, but that's me speculating, based on the LFP rollout anticipated later this year.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I spoke to my guide about changing my large to standard+ and was told that standards (including std+), won't be configurable until the summer.

It's odd (or maybe a wise marketing strategy) that on Day 1 of the announcement there were a handful of std+ in the shop but now they're no longer producing anymore. Allows Rivian to market a lower entry point but continue to push sales of the larger batteries.

The summer timeframe also may mean only LFP for std+, but that's me speculating, based on the LFP rollout anticipated later this year.
Yeah, standard+ is now gone from the configurator. that is pretty annoying.

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

If you commute more than 125 miles a day each way (4 hours / day), I'd save the $6,000 to be part of a downpayment on a house closer to where you work.
I know fire fighters that do ~200 mile commutes. To each their own.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Also, You're comparing top trim EV9 with bottom trim R1S. Capabilities maybe similar but in reality, EV9 buyers off roading amounts essentially mall parking lots and kids sports field access. For those, the middle trimmed EV9s prices are significantly lower for EV9.
To my surprise someone had an EV9 at the EV takeover at KOH, they had upgraded the tires but as far as I could tell it did fine. At least better than the Cybertrucks :CWL:

dsmking

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y (Rivian soon)
Yeah, standard+ is now gone from the configurator. that is pretty annoying.
What's even more annoying is that my order now says that I configured a Large battery dual motor when I had not selected a configuration because the Standard battery was not available last fall. And since they don't have the Standard batteries in the order configurator I can not adjust the configuration.

I've informed them but I'm hoping that they don't build a car for me that I would never buy.

OP
OP

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X

No way the Standard+ is a LFP battery

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I'd love to...LOVE to.

My current (6 year old) house cost me $380k and I have a 3.5% mortgage.

I talked to the builder to re-build THIS SAME EXACT HOUSE closer to work. With housing inflation, it'd cost me $965k (BEST case on a crappier piece of land right off of a major roadway) today (no exaggeration, and I even CUT options out of it). And at ~7% mortgage?

Impossible. That 6k/year is not even CLOSE to an achievable delta.

141 miles/day it is. Justified the truck though :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
I'd love to...LOVE to.

My current (6 year old) house cost me $380k and I have a 3.5% mortgage.

I talked to the builder to re-build THIS SAME EXACT HOUSE closer to work. With housing inflation, it'd cost me $965k (BEST case on a crappier piece of land right off of a major roadway) today (no exaggeration, and I even CUT options out of it). And at ~7% mortgage?

Impossible. That 6k/year is not even CLOSE to an achievable delta.

141 miles/day it is. Justified the truck though :)
About getting a Tesla 3 LFP for commuting then. It'll consume less than half what the Rivian uses, and the LFP batteries will last longer. In the long run, would be cheaper

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

About getting a Tesla 3 LFP for commuting then. It'll consume less than half what the Rivian uses, and the LFP batteries will last longer. In the long run, would be cheaper
I appreciate the advice. You're not wrong, insofar as there are more economical options (heck, a Prius? Maybe just a more economical Civic or some such), but mine has a few practical requirements (and a couple of non-practical wants).

Requirements Including: I'm an Engineer, and I haul things related to work, back and forth from suppliers and vendors. I need a truck for that. (I was using my wife's Forester and a 5x8 utility trailer previously--not economical...and very limited on its towing weight ratings)

I preferred a vehicle that 1- needs very little maintenance (changing my oil every couple of months was a bummer) 2- needs less time at the pumps (always a least 10-12 minutes to pull off an exit, get to the pumps, pump and return to my trip home--the less time I need to do that, the better, so plugging something in = 100% improvement). and 3- needs to last (time will tell on the last one, but hedging on that 175k mile/8 year warranty...).

Rivian checks all of my boxes AND comes in at less than half the difference I'd pay in a mortgage by moving....so. THAT is what I meant by "justified the truck.' My current mortgage + truck payment <= 60% new mortgage payment :)

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Sometimes you just need to send it. Costs be damned. I didn't start electric to save the environment. I just wanted to go fast.
Sponsored