Sponsored

Anyone else have a disappointing delivery experience?

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

They need to seriously improve on the delivery process. Picking up at the Miami SC was a big disappointment. I went to pick up my R1S this last Friday and it had all kinds of marks, scratches, water spots you name it. Of course tons of gaps everywhere. Horrible quality control and the SC delivering the car in that condition seemed unreal to me. I didn’t leave with the vehicle as I refused to accept the car in that condition.

I offered them the chance to make things right because I believe in Rivian and it’s future. I told the SC lead that next time I come back if the vehicle isn’t at the condition it should be at pickup that I’m moving on from Rivian. Guide didn’t reach out the next day I had to reach out myself which felt really strange. The guide said it would take over a week to get the car where it needs to be. I told them both they are tarnishing the Rivian brand name and that these types of experiences are going to scare potential customers. They both agreed they dropped the ball here and admitted that the company is not where it needs to be in the delivery process but are doing everything in their power to improve.

Here’s a few pictures of the issues I encountered.

Update: I can’t believe the responses I’m reading on here… it’s really sad tbh. Everyone ganging up on me because I’m sharing my experience on delivery is just disappointing to say the least. As someone else mentioned on here there’s definitely too much drinking of the koolaid going on.

If you’re trying to push people away from this brand you’re doing a really good job at it. Like the saying goes “Thinking is difficult that’s why some people judge”

Bottom line this isn’t a cheap vehicle by any means no one should have to settle for an unfinished product or a product with defects. Just because some are content doesn’t mean others should be.

“In either case like @AlanP mentioned I definitely got my moneys worth on this post. Great to hear the different experiences and insights from others. Of course we are subject to hear more complaints than praises that’s just human nature but overall the consensus has been everyone loves the vehicles just understands SC’s need a lot of work to get where they need to be.”

UPDATE 12/4: After waiting 2 weeks after my first unsuccessful delivery experience I finally went in to take delivery of my second vehicle with a 29,000 VIN number (supposedly was one of the latest straight from the plant). The service center representative was atleast courteous enough to warn me ahead of time that the vehicle was not in the best condition. I thought he was exaggerating but when I saw the vehicle I knew why he had warned me I wouldn’t take delivery in its current state. There was a huge gap in the front bumper panel and so many bad misaligned panels. There were scratches on that metal car frame part that attaches from hood to roof that just made the gloss seem like a distraction. I think the worst part was the lack of communication from the guides as I received 2 text messages total and that took me going to the SC to receive because before that they were complete ghosts.

While I understand others have had a pleasant experience with their deliveries and Rivian as a whole what I’ve experienced is far from a pleasant one. I don’t understand how they think treating customers this way and delivering vehicles in these conditions is ok. They are clearly trying to pump out as many vehicles as they can and while they claim to be up to par with “delivery standards”, it’s clearly obvious they are rushing their QC. Right now the demand is high because the backlog of R1S orders but once those dry out and word of mouth spreads I believe that will be the coffin for this company. I have followed this company from day 1 IPO and have defended them any chance I got but they lost me as a supporter after what I just witnessed. They had a chance to make things right and instead they failed miserably. To everyone else who’s had a pleasant experience you’re very lucky and I wish you the best. As for me Rivian is not for me and I wish them all the luck in the world they’re going to need it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is why Rivian is not calling themselves a luxury brand. Some people have unrealistic expecations because of the cost of the vehicle.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
They need to seriously improve on the delivery process. Picking up at the Miami SC was a big disappointment. I went to pick up my R1S this last Friday and it had all kinds of marks, scratches, water spots you name it. Of course tons of gaps everywhere. Horrible quality control and the SC delivering the car to me in that condition was complete disrespect in my opinion. I didn’t leave with the vehicle as I refused to accept the car in that condition.

I offered them the chance to make things right. I told the SC lead that next time I come back if the vehicle isn’t at the condition it should be at pickup that I’m moving on from Rivian. Guide didn’t reach out the next day I had to reach out myself which felt really strange. The guide said it would take over a week to get the car where it needs to be. I told them both they are tarnishing the Rivian brand name and that these types of experiences are going to scare potential customers.

I'd say from reading many posts on deliveries and of course having my own in March, the delivery experience has not been great for many if looking at it in terms of finding QC issues. The experience was great if you look at it by not having to go to a dealership, being greeted by polite service center works. We are currently in the Rivian ramp up phase, we have been for over a year. These QC issues will continue until the ramp up is over and they reach a steady state and work out all their kinks. I would say we are at least a year out from that.

What you will likely get more frustrated by now is the long wait times for service to fix QC issues. I have no idea when that will start to resolve as deliveries are far exceeding service capacity, with what seems to be limited investment in opening new service centers.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Meh. These seem like pretty minor issues. I get wanting your new car to be perfect but the diva attitude (“make this perfect for me or lose me as a customer”) is a bit much. I had a few minor issues at delivery but just noted them and they were easily fixed at my first service appointment.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Mine was worse in many ways. I took delivery and they fixed it all during the next available service visit.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I would say mine was significantly better but did have a few spots that needed service center correction.

But my delivery experience was awesome. Couldn't have been happier with the delivery team at Rivian.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
After going through the whole panel gap issues, then vehicle getting damaged further during the service visit, I think Rivian needs to do a better job at the manufacturing level. The SC should not have to waste so much time and money with these issues. If Rivian did that, the SC could concentrate more on fixing scuffs, and paint imperfections that just happen during transport. In our case, everything has been fixed to our satisfaction, and service staff have always taken care of us. Since Rivian appears to be getting a lot of customers that bought an R1 as their most expensive vehicle purchase ever (me included) and an equal number coming from luxury brands, they have the tough task of making everyone happy. Not easy...

R1TCntrlMaIzzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
I too rejected the delivery of my first R1T. I did make some comments about the whole experience to all involved, though not similar to what you may have. I then waited to be matched with another "T" and am happy so far.

Not everyone is willing to take delivery, then make an appointment. Like I was not, and that is each individuals choice.

Is Rivian marketing the vehicle(s) as a luxury? No. Do many people consider it to be a luxury item? Yes.

Of course posting to a public forum opens you up to a wide variety of replies. So, "enjoy"..

Edit: Yes, the delivery process should be improved. Especially when the SC team does not see areas that are clearly marked, until brought to their attention. But first and more importantly, the build and Q.C. at the plant must improve.

Last edited:

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I have almost all of those issues in the exact same spots as OP.
I’ve been driving my R1T happily every day without a single complaint since delivery.
I did ask for some of them to be fixed (ie the gaps that seems to ultimately cause rain water related issues).

Yeah … the level of expectation the general public has in cars at this point is … diva like… to say the least.

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
This is why Rivian is not calling themselves a luxury brand. Some people have unrealistic expecations because of the cost of the vehicle.
IMO, this is baloney. My $26,000 Subaru Forester looked great when we picked it up. My Rivian delivery experience was similarly bad. Driver side lower door seal fell off when they opened the door, inside passenger A pillar trip was obviously out, to many panel misalignments to count, and, oh yea, tonneau cover already broken. I should have sent them home with it, but I had sold my F150 the day before. If you don't want cross shopped with Land Rover, BMW and Mercedes don't ask $90-100,000 for your vehicle. No way in hell the "adventure demand" can cover the Normal plant's 175,000 annual assembly capacity. Rivian knows they need to do better.

It isn't unrealistic to expect your vehicle to be properly prepped when you pick it up.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

IMO, this is baloney.
A siginficant portion of the value of an R1 is the battery and the powertrain. I'm not, and would never, excuse Rivian of actual damage to the vehicle prior to delivery, but assembling vehicles so they "have 10 micron precision" like Tesla's goal is absolutely a fools errand.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
They need to seriously improve on the delivery process. Picking up at the Miami SC was a big disappointment. I went to pick up my R1S this last Friday and it had all kinds of marks, scratches, water spots you name it. Of course tons of gaps everywhere. Horrible quality control and the SC delivering the car to me in that condition was complete disrespect in my opinion. I didn’t leave with the vehicle as I refused to accept the car in that condition.

I offered them the chance to make things right. I told the SC lead that next time I come back if the vehicle isn’t at the condition it should be at pickup that I’m moving on from Rivian. Guide didn’t reach out the next day I had to reach out myself which felt really strange. The guide said it would take over a week to get the car where it needs to be. I told them both they are tarnishing the Rivian brand name and that these types of experiences are going to scare potential customers.

LOL. Holy shit man….I’d kill for just those incredibly nit picky ticky tack issues.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No way in hell the "adventure demand" can cover the Normal plant's 175,000 annual assembly capacity.
This is why I can't take some of these rants seriously.

The total annual production capacity of the Normal plant for R1 vehicles is currently 65k. It is not, and has never been, and is not ever planned to be, 175k. Rivian will be reconfiguring the Normal plant in 2024 to increase the R1 capacity to 85k.

If you don't know that, then how in hell can you know better than Rivian what the "adventure demand" is?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I can't believe there were water spots on a vehicle that was parked outside. Rivian is doomed.
Sponsored