First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Thanks for posting that. I was compiling the same information but you presented it very succinctly and clearly.

Another way to look at this:

- Dual motor adds 17 to 26 miles of rated range over Quad Motor
- Max pack adds 35 to 50 miles of rated range across Dual Motor tire configurations
- Dual motor + Max Pack adds 57 to 72 miles over Quad Motor Large Pack

- The following have roughly equal approximate 330 miles of range:

Dual motor + Max Pack + 20" AT @ $78,800 base (pre 3/1 pricing)
Quad Motor + Large Pack + 21" Road @ $71,500 base (pre 3/1 pricing)

Is it just me, or is that essentially $7300 for
- off road tires
- arguably - at least in some situations - worse off-road capability with dual vs. quad motors (although the road tires might make this a push)
- 1.5 seconds slower 0 to 60 acceleration
Yea this doesn't make any sense for anybody to purchase IMO. Save the $7300, get the objectively better motor config (quad) and if you really want off road tires buy a set of used / aftermarket 20s as a second set.

The only configuration in dual motor / max pack that makes sense is 21" road tires, but even then from 330 miles to 400 miles really isn't going to make much of a difference on trips since you'll never (ideally) run the battery below 10-15% anyway.
Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
It is definitely underwhelming. And still no info about charging. I think it’s a safe assumption this would not be 800v so how long does it take to charge the bigger battery? It’s still entirely possible it makes more sense time-wise to go with the smaller battery and make more stops.
What they really need is a heat pump but I get the sense Rivian isn't going to be updating anything that adds cost for the next year or so. I don't think we will see new features outside of software but likely more things removed or removed from the base price that you have to add a la carte. Hope I'm wrong.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It is definitely underwhelming. And still no info about charging. I think it’s a safe assumption this would not be 800v so how long does it take to charge the bigger battery? It’s still entirely possible it makes more sense time-wise to go with the smaller battery and make more stops.
Max Pack should mean similar charge rate for the first half of the pack, but potentially less thermal throttling than Large pack since you're spreading the heat out into more cells. Should mean a slightly higher charge curve (15-20%ish?) for the rest of the pack. It definitely will still have an advantage in a 400V system.

For me, I don't think it's going to be a big enough change to want to trade my current truck in since I don't have a price advantaged order left, so I'm probably going to end up passing when my number is drawn. I'll wait for 800V and even more range. I'd definitely consider upgrading before 800V if they release a quad enduro that drops the 0-60 time by 0.5s or more from my quad bosch though.

Last edited:

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
400 miles for 77k (pre-March 1) is pretty amazing value.

Sure, it “only” has 600 HP and probably takes 4 seconds to go 0-60, but take a step back and think about how fast that is. Just 5-6 years ago, that would have been practically unbelievable. It’s slower than the fastest truck ever made, but it’s not slow. I’d be very tempted to go with that option over my quad motor if I had the choice.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Waited two years to discover that max pack adds 35 miles of range. Rivian sucks.
It's not 35 miles. If you don't like it don't buy it. Yes we all wish it was more but the writing was on the wall when it seemed like the weren't going to be able to add that extra battery module.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was able to log in and check it out. Surprised and a bit disappointed to see 335 mi estimated range with the performance dual motor max pack and off road tires.
That was more or less expected. Max pack was originally supposed to be 180 kWh or 45 kWh over Large pack, but most of us have speculated that it would only be 30 kWh more (165 kWh) due to packaging constraints. At that point only about 60 miles should be expected with the 20s and if you look at the original 270 miles that was claimed, that's where you land is about 60 additional miles of range. I was a max packer from the start and decided the revised specs and dual-motor wasn't worth it and got my Quad+Large last week.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Max Pack should mean similar charge rate for the first half of the pack, but potentially less thermal throttling than Large pack since you're spreading the heat out into more cells. Should mean a slightly higher charge curve (15-20%ish?) for the rest of the pack. It definitely will still have an advantage in a 400V system.

For me, I don't think it's going to be a big enough change to want to trade my current truck in since I don't have a price advantaged order left, so I'm probably going to end up passing when my number is drawn. I'll wait for 800V and even more range. I'd definitely consider upgrading before 800V if they release a quad enduro that drops the 0-60 time by 0.5s or more from my quad bosch though.
Interesting. So you think charging speed will still be steady until it hits the 80-85% range? I will still be curious to see real world reviews of this. I remember quite a few early deliveries had pretty slow charging until a couple updates happened.

I agree it doesn’t seem like a big enough upgrade at that price to trade in or buy another. I would wait to see what gen 2 has to offer.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting. So you think charging speed will still be steady until it hits the 80-85% range? I will still be curious to see real world reviews of this. I remember quite a few early deliveries had pretty slow charging until a couple updates happened.

I agree it doesn’t seem like a big enough upgrade at that price to trade in or buy another. I would wait to see what gen 2 has to offer.
Should be capable of taking the full 500A all the way to 50 some percent, but the rate at which it falls off from there should mean still taking 15-20% more energy as the rate goes down.

It's also entirely possible that they might open up more than 500A if a station can support it, but I wouldn't expect that at all.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y

There are regular indications of a thermal design problem in existing packs. The time to improve that issue would be when the pack would be with whatever changes are needed for max pack.

I'm sure Rivian would like to go to 800V. They would also like to sell the camp kitchen> but clearly they have little capacity for change.

I have to wonder with max pack if Rivian is simply going with slightly higher power density cells and reducing the buffer.

Adding two modules is a 22% improvement. (2/9)

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The range estimates for 20” and 22” seem to be very conservative. We know from testing going from 21” to 22” is 5% or less loss but they have a 10% loss in the estimated range from 400 to 360. Likewise there’s a 16.25% from 21” to 20” from 400 to 335.

I did notice the range for 20” wheels was decreased on the large pack quad motor too down to 274 from 289.

This only seems like a bad deal when comparing to the quad R1T. Compared to anything else on the market it’s still the best bargain.

Last edited:

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler
I was able to log in and check it out. Surprised and a bit disappointed to see 335 mi estimated range with the performance dual motor max pack and off road tires.
Now I am even more glad I didn't wait!..only 30 miles from what I get.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
I did notice the range for 20” wheels was decreased on the large pack quad motor too down to 274 from 289.
Does anyone know why this is?? Are they purposely downgrading range or making changes to pack size, etc?

Last edited:

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
According to the Configurator on 4/5/23

300 miles - Dual Motor - 20” - LARGE PACK
350 miles - Dual Motor - 21” - LARGE PACK
320 miles - Dual Motor - 22” - LARGE PACK

335 miles - Dual Motor - 20” - MAX PACK
400 miles - Dual Motor - 21” - MAX PACK
360 miles - Dual Motor - 22” - MAX PACK

Currently Shipping
274 miles - Quad Motor - 20” - LARGE PACK
328 miles - Quad Motor - 21” - LARGE PACK
303 miles - Quad Motor - 22” - LARGE PACK
What is not mentioned by Rivian is if there's a Conserve Mode on the dual motor configurations. If they decide not to have that mechanical disconnect on the output shaft of the motors for the dual motor configuration then the difference in range between max and large packs is very small when you are in conserve mode on quad motors.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, I believe it was RJ himself in an interview who confirmed no 800V architecture in any R1 models 😞
Sponsored