Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I told them not to wash my truck...we will see how it looks when I get it back...

How long was your truck in for?
They picked it up Saturday and returned it Friday so ~1 week.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Those stories really make me sad. Having issues is one thing, but not being able to fix them or making things worse is a real concern to me.

I'd hate to waste time by filling a service ticket after ticket.
To be clear that was a new service issue, different from why it was in. I certainly hope it was a coincidence that it popped up right after they finished service.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
Fix / update by @bael who had the same issue:

Link: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...attery-trickle-issue-needs-software-fix.5313/

Got the truck back.
The module that tells the truck it’s going to sleep and the high voltage should trickle the 12v doesn’t always tell it. It’s being worked on, hopefully the next software update contains the fix.
12v batteries got replaced because of it.
Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again before another update.

Original post:

This morning I got into the truck and both screens were in night mode even though it was daytime. When I attempted to shift into drive multiple warnings popped up. Service airbags, a red truck icon with an exclamation point and others. Was in a hurry so I left. Came back about an hour later and same warnings were on.

Called Rivian service and they started asking questions and I sent them pictures of the screen. We attempted a full reboot (left steering wheel button and hazard flasher button). When I attempted to shift into drive even more warnings popped up including the tortoise. Service advisor said let it go to sleep and he'll get tech support. After 45 minutes the screens wouldn't come on. Just got off the phone with Rivian again after being unable to unlock the doors. They will get back to me. Not great. Had the truck about 5 weeks. Loved it otherwise...
Just had the exact same issue along with a coolant leak also only had it 4 weeks and love the truck otherwise. Orlando service center replaced the 12 v system and now just waiting on a coolant hose that should arrive in 2 days. I feel your pain. At least the seat recall didn’t affect me so that’s a small win.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
I had my 12v battery die on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 during the first month of ownership. I went the go to work one morning and the car was bricked. No power to anything. The tow driver that towed it to Tesla knew about the 12v battery issues and connected his jump box to the 12v port on the front bumper. The car woke up immediately. Tesla replaced the battery with a different type and no issues thereafter. After that episode I have always carried a fully charged jump box in my trunk in my EV’s, just in case.
Also experiencing this issue currently with my truck as it’s in service. What jump box would you recommend to a fellow Floridian?

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Also experiencing this issue currently with my truck as it’s in service. What jump box would you recommend to a fellow Floridian?
Check out NOCO Boost X Had to use mine a few times. Mine works great.

Sponsored

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I bought mine on Amazon 3 years ago, not offered anymore. This one is similar:

jtalley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Executive
I had the 12v battery die on my truck on Friday. Mobile unit came out and looked at it yesterday, confirmed 5v on 1 battery, 0v on the other. They are going to tow it to the Service Center tomorrow. I wonder if it is worth trying to trickle charge the battery so at least I can get the doors open.

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I had the 12v battery die on my truck on Friday. Mobile unit came out and looked at it yesterday, confirmed 5v on 1 battery, 0v on the other. They are going to tow it to the Service Center tomorrow. I wonder if it is worth trying to trickle charge the battery so at least I can get the doors open.
My Tesla 3 was bricked and just connecting a 12v square battery to the leads powered up the vehicle. We were able to open doors and roll up windows for the tow.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
That old argument “You Should Have Known What We Didn’t Know. And Now That We Do Know, We Know You Should Have Known Better “
Lol isn't this the truth? "We know you shouldn't have drained the HV battery or the 12V would call it quits, and you should know that too."
Even my 6 year old VW GTI will not let the 12V get low enough to not start. All power systems (steering, aircon, radio) will enter a low voltage mode which tells you the battery is about to go. A feature I love because every other car I owned would just not start one morning.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
My Tesla 3 was bricked and just connecting a 12v square battery to the leads powered up the vehicle. We were able to open doors and roll up windows for the tow.
Had a similar thing happen to my 2015 Model S when it stopped charging the 12V battery (we later found out due to a loose cable in the wiring harness). At the time, all we knew is nothing would turn on.

We thought it wasn't able to drive, so we hired a tow company. They came, but weren't sure they could get it out of the garage. We decided to try jumping it just in case, and amazingly it turned on and let us drive it (with the jump box still hooked up) onto the trailer.

Talking to my ranger the other day, he informed me that if you can get the interconnect to release, the vehicle should remain safe to drive until you shut it down. I'm still not sure I would have been comfortable driving it 1.5 hours to the SC (and then having to get home later), but it's good to know for the next time something similar happens.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Less than 24 hours (total) the truck is now fixed. Software issue (supposedly only a few trucks) that doesn't allow the 12 volt battery to get a charge (mentioned by others in this thread). They replaced both the 12 volt batteries, calibrated my windows and detailed my truck (it was filthy). Excellent service, really the best and the Bellevue lot is full of Rivians waiting to be delivered. No R1S yet but they did have an Amazon electric delivery van that I could only see at a distance. Here's one of the batteries they replaced. Love the truck even more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
PXL_20220514_002057037.jpg
That's a petite looking battery 🔋

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

For those of us who venture far from pavement and cell service, it may make sense to keep a fully charged compact jump battery with us if we are locking the vehicle. I could see getting annoyed with myself if I got back to the truck after a hike only to find that I couldn’t unlock it because of a low 12V battery while knowing there was a jump battery unreachable inside.
Is there a manual back up way to access frunk? Tunnel in case there's no power?

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Is there a manual back up way to access frunk? Tunnel in case there's no power?
Edit: I just saw that you asked about the gear tunnel as well, I'm guessing no on this one. However, you can jump the 12V battery from behind the trailer hitch cover, so you probably would rarely be in a situation where you can't get in the vehicle at all that isn't catastrophic.

Yep, it's in the tow opertaor's guide (maybe the manual as well):

Rivian R1T R1S Truck is bricked! Update FIXED!   [12v battery trickle module software issue] Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 2.59.37 PM

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Edit: I just saw that you asked about the gear tunnel as well, I'm guessing no on this one. However, you can jump the 12V battery from behind the trailer hitch cover, so you probably would rarely be in a situation where you can't get in the vehicle at all that isn't catastrophic.

Yep, it's in the tow opertaor's guide (maybe the manual as well):

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 2.59.37 PM.png
Much obliged
Sponsored