Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I would bet It’s 12v too. Unfortunately (or fortunately) seems to be the biggest fail point in EVs.
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I would bet It’s 12v too. Unfortunately (or fortunately) seems to be the biggest fail point in EVs.
although batteries fail all the time, a 12V battery is not a complicated piece and this one is new. There are other pieces interacting with the battery that could have failed and I think that is a more likely case here. Can't wait to see what the technicians find out.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
although batteries fail all the time, a 12V battery is not a complicated piece and this one is new. There are other pieces interacting with the battery that could have failed and I think that is a more likely case here. Can't wait to see what the technicians find out.
This ^^^^^

Something is draining it and it’s not recharging. Then it goes DOA. I seriously doubt it’s a defective battery.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
This ^^^^^

Something is draining it and it’s not recharging. Then it goes DOA. I seriously doubt it’s a defective battery.
Yes, fully draining a 12V lead acid or AGM battery pretty much kills the cells. 12v batteries don’t typically have a high failure rate so root cause is something causing the truck to stay awake.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Yes, fully draining a 12V lead acid or AGM battery pretty much kills the cells. 12v batteries don’t typically have a high failure rate so root cause is something causing the truck to stay awake.
from my dead on entry thread
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1t-dead-on-entry.5313/page-2#post-146056
Software that tells the module for high voltage to trickle the 12v didn’t - according to service center. Was already on latest software. They said engineers were aware and think they have it identified, so hopefully it’s making the next sprint. So, it could happen again. Still love the truck. It’s great! Early adopter issues, so some of that is to be expected. But they took care of it.

Sponsored

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
If it does turn out to be the 12V I can say that this happened to my Model 3 after about 3 weeks. I think Telsa uses a 12V lithium Ion battery now, but I just wish they would use a DC-DC converter and get rid of the thing entirely, which I think is the plan IIRC. They had to tow my Model 3 to the Telsa service center to replace it, which I thought was odd.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
12V battery problems are not that unusual in ICE vehicles. My 2020 Navigator has gone through 3 batteries. The last time they finally found the parasitic drain that was causing the problem.

The 12V is an anachronism in an EV, as Spiffster notes there needs to be a better solution.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think @SANZC02 wrote about a likely cause earlier here.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
If it does turn out to be the 12V I can say that this happened to my Model 3 after about 3 weeks. I think Telsa uses a 12V lithium Ion battery now, but I just wish they would use a DC-DC converter and get rid of the thing entirely, which I think is the plan IIRC. They had to tow my Model 3 to the Telsa service center to replace it, which I thought was odd.
EVs need a low voltage system for safety so the main battery can be disconnected. Certainly every EV maker would understands that a DC to DC converter replacing the 12v battery would have advantages.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Car & Driver on this topic

We asked Hyundai's EV engineers why the 12-volt battery persists, and Ryan Miller, manager of electrified powertrain development, responded. "All the ECUs in the vehicle are powered from the low voltage, as well as the power relays that separate power from the high-voltage battery pack and the rest of the high-voltage network in the car," he said. "That separation allows us to safely disconnect the high voltage from the low voltage when the vehicle is not being driven or in the event of a crash." You don't want first responders to contend with door locks powered by Doc Brown's Mr. Fusion.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I mean I’m sure there’s something software causing it, that was the literal point of my post.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
My Tesla M3 locked me out in the middle of no where, needed to be flatbedded to the nearest service center and Tesla told me it was the 12V battery

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
12V battery problems are not that unusual in ICE vehicles. My 2020 Navigator has gone through 3 batteries. The last time they finally found the parasitic drain that was causing the problem.

The 12V is an anachronism in an EV, as Spiffster notes there needs to be a better solution.
It's about cost savings - especially for the "legacy" OEMs. Even for a new company, most aspects of the power supply design for a module can effectively be copied and pasted. Derivative designs with known performance characteristics and reliability. This in turn has the possibility of reduced development/test costs, depending on what gets negotiated between the supplier and OEM. This even applies to new OEMs looking to leverage existing product to fill a need.

There's been plenty of discussion about 24V or 48V electrical subsystems, but it hasn't really taken hold for many reasons. The problem is mixed fleets (ICE/hybrid/BEV) combined with the desire to leverage massive volumes of shared electronics across the entire fleet. Simple economies of scale.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

EVs need a low voltage system for safety so the main battery can be disconnected. Certainly every EV maker would understands that a DC to DC converter replacing the 12v battery would have advantages.
Yes but you can use the DC/DC converter for normal operations and use the 12V battery as a backup when the high voltage system is cut.
Sponsored