Sponsored

TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian?

What has your experience been with the automatic tonneau cover?

• Had a problem, but seems to have resolved itself over time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have problems periodically, but can use "Lil'O Annie's" patented trick ;-) to get it to work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So with almost 100 voters so far... about 33% have had issues w/the tonneau!

This sucks for Rivian because with no current redesign available they are still pumping out trucks every day that will have a 1 in 3 failure rate and continue to make unnecessary work for the already busy SC's going forward.
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Did anyone that removed the tonneau option completely, no powered or manual, get a delivery date?

With all the troubles that so many owners have with the powered version, I’d think they would welcome shipping that option right now! Or of course, the manual option.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ that would be the logical thing to do... .so of course they will hold off building "no tonneau" vehicles forever :mad:

When Tesla needed a quick fix for a A/C component mount on the MY... they literally bought corner molding strips from Home Depot to use as the strap protector till they could start producing their own part.

Let's see if Rivian is as resourceful as Tesla when needed... all they have to do is make a cover strip where the slats retract into.

Is there a Home Depot or Lowes in/near Normal? 😆

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Is it wrong of me to do a cross sign and say a prayer every time my tonneau cover successfully opens and closes? LOL. As I remember at the first drive event, they make a lot of unpleasant noises when opening and closing and I just feel this sense of appreciation each time it makes it all the way open or closed, constantly fearing, "the next time will be the last time it works". I sure hope they come up with a fix for it soon.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Did anyone that removed the tonneau option completely, no powered or manual, get a delivery date?

With all the troubles that so many owners have with the powered version, I’d think they would welcome shipping that option right now! Or of course, the manual option.
Alas. The way to get my VIN was to accept the Automatic Tonneau option (had no Tonneau selected originally).

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Got ours Friday. Worked twice while the delivery person was here, then tried to show a neighbor once he left, and it only opens one slat width then stops and the lights flash. It stops as soon as the first seam contacts the strip by the rear of the cab. It can at least close, which for our near term needs is better. Already submitted a service request and heard from customer service that they are working on a service plan, but no other details.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I tried the reset procedure, and as expected it didn't work (and didn't finish the reset). The good thing to that, at least to me is that it disabled the outside button so now when everyone tries it nothing happens and the loud popping noise doesn't continue to happen and cause any further damage.

I did notice that my panels all seem to stick up toward the forward edge. I assume that is because it is being pushed back to the tailgate as hard as it is, but they don't flatten as it tries to move, which is what seems to be what gets caught.
Rivian R1T R1S TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian? 20220628_004649159_iOS

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Mine are similar (overlap on one side), but wasn't sure if that is normal. I have seen some pictures that look flush.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
I found mine to get stuck when it's been parked in texas sun.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
My cover stopped working today. "reset" reports success but in normal operation either stops short or "detects an object" and reverses open 1/4 of the way.

Have a SC appt scheduled for July where they will do a replacement. I am curious if it will be a newer revision, but as long as it works I don't care.

I will say that all of my interaction with support/guides has been very pleasant. That goes a long way for me and I hope they can keep up their CS spirits as volume increases and customers naturally start to become numbers.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's a bit unfortunate they didn't just send an email letting owners know there was an issue with the cover earlier on. I remember one of the press events prior to launch, the covers disabled. It was obvious to many here that was a sign of an issue. Instead of then (or even now) coming out and saying there's a relatively minor problem that will impact a portion of customers to be addressed in the future, they're passing this work off to customer service and the service centers.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Changed my vote because my cover stopped having issues and has been 100% reliable.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Tonneau opens with outside button or from inside touch panel, but does not retract fully... About 4" still sticks out.

This will cause an error message if opened from touch panel and the touch panel will not close it.

It closes fine with the outside button. Seal is fine.

It was like this at delivery last week, Rivian says they know about the issue, it requires a complete tonneau replacement, and that replacements are in short supply.

OK with me for the moment, it is a very minor inconvenience.

Of course it is quite ironic that the only way to get a quick delivery date is to add the 'deleted from standard configuration" power tonneau cover back on to the build, but it is also one of the most problematic components....
Sponsored