Sponsored

TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian?

What has your experience been with the automatic tonneau cover?

• Had a problem, but seems to have resolved itself over time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have problems periodically, but can use "Lil'O Annie's" patented trick ;-) to get it to work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The seal on the end which deals it to the tailgate apparently has a gap on each side, so that will let a surprising amount of dust on gravel roads.
Yes, I was able to drive one last week and noticed the gap. Seemed like almost an inch on each side.
Sponsored

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hope I didn't just jinx myself by voting Perfect, no problems at all. 😄

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
Mine from day one wouldn't close completely. About an inch 1/2 before contacting tailgate. Service re-calibrated it. It now works most of the time but I do have the same issue from time to time. Gear tunnel has been great for just that, gear.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

From delivery, a week ago, mine would not open fully. It'd stop with the last panel sticking out about 4". I have a service appointment for next Monday. The order says they will replace the entire cover!

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
From delivery, a week ago, mine would not open fully. It'd stop with the last panel sticking out about 4". I have a service appointment for next Monday. The order says they will replace the entire cover!
Staples--Have you tried the little trick I mention in the "UPDATE" comment of my original post up top?? I got mine to retract fully around 3 times after it stuck, then it started to retract fully again like normal.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Staples--Have you tried the little trick I mention in the "UPDATE" comment of my original post up top?? I got mine to retract fully around 3 times after it stuck, then it started to retract fully again like normal.
I saw that update. I'll give it a try after I'm done with a couple tasks requiring the bed this weekend. I am hesitant because I don't want it to end up like @kylealden's did, with the panels all wedged at an angle.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So as of right now, according to the poll results- one out of three owners have had issues with the tonneau. I'd consider that an engineering fail... so much for all the employee owner beta testers putting the truck through it's paces for so many months before general release :(

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
The entire design of this thing baffles me. The sliding and stacking mechanism is space efficient when stowed, but seems like it will wear the coating off the individual blades incredibly fast and jam up with even modest dust /debris. A rolling tonneau would have reduced the size of the gear tunnel but been far more durable and reliable. Really want to see the manual cover soon.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Best thing about the powered tonneau at this point is... it's optional along with a choice of manual tonneau or none at all. I switched to "manual" tonneau as soon as it was available via the configurator. Not specifically for the $$ savings.. but to avoid issues since I'm 3hrs (NYC traffic) from the nearest SC.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Best thing about the powered tonneau at this point is... it's optional along with a choice of manual tonneau or none at all. I switched to "manual" tonneau as soon as it was available via the configurator. Not specifically for the $$ savings.. but to avoid issues since I'm 3hrs (NYC traffic) from the nearest SC.
I'm anxious to see how the manual works when it is actually delivered. Right now it looks like specifying a manual will hold up delivery.

As if someone like me with a relatively late order date risks eminent delivery!

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I don't understand the need for anything other than a manual tonneau especially given the outrageous pricing from Rivian. I have a normal, $1,000 "manual" on my F-150 and I have never once wished I could open or close it electronically.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I don't understand the need for anything other than a manual tonneau especially given the outrageous pricing from Rivian. I have a normal, $1,000 "manual" on my F-150 and I have never once wished I could open or close it electronically.
Look at it like power windows, power mirrors, power sunroof, power seats, power antenna, etc... it's just more convenient to press a button vs. manual labor. In theory it's a good idea... but it's proving harder to implement in the real world than design in a studio.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It sure would be helpful if there was ANY info whatsoever regarding availability of the manual or "no tonneau" options, as I would gladly choose either of those if we knew it would happen in the next few months. My Guide has says they have been given no information on either.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
It sure would be helpful if there was ANY info whatsoever regarding availability of the manual or "no tonneau" options, as I would gladly choose either of those if we knew it would happen in the next few months. My Guide has says they have been given no information on either.
Exactly. I bet aftermarket options will be better (and less expensive) too.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly. I bet aftermarket options will be better (and less expensive) too.
With the frunk and gear tunnel I'm not even sure I want an aftermarket solution. But for $750 I would get the manual version without hesitation if I thought I would still get a 2022 delivery. Especially since the manual version may seal better than the powered one to keep out dust/water.
Sponsored