Sponsored

TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian?

What has your experience been with the automatic tonneau cover?

• Had a problem, but seems to have resolved itself over time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have problems periodically, but can use "Lil'O Annie's" patented trick ;-) to get it to work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I just had to update my poll response from “perfect” to “periodically broken” after about a month of ownership. 😞 I have a service ticket in for it- they’re going to do an inspection of it to determine the problem, but have warned me that parts to fix/replace it are backordered so the best they might be able to do is put it permanently in the open or closed position until the supply chains issues are resolved.
Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I'm anxious to see how the manual works when it is actually delivered. Right now it looks like specifying a manual will hold up delivery.

As if someone like me with a relatively late order date risks eminent delivery!
I've seen multiple posts now from people claiming their guides said no manual tonneaus any time soon. However, the guides are only have about 2% more info than CS, so take that with a grain of salt.

I've been playing with different configurations to see if my 8/2020 RIT can generate a guide contact. The one thing I can't bring myself to do is get the auto tonneau. I just know that thing is going to be breaking when I least want it too and then my wife will be asking why we got a vehicle with parts that don't work.

At this rate I truly believe this will be the order of deliveries from here on in order to maximize throughput:

1) Every single Large pack Adventure(and/or launch)/R1T order with auto tonneaus. This includes every order placed up to know.
2) Every manual / no tonneau Large Adventure R1T
3) Launch/Adventure R1S 2018/2019 orders
4) Everyone else R1S Launch/Adventure
5) Explore R1T
6) Max R1T (if it ever happens)

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

At this rate I truly believe this will be the order of deliveries from here on in order to maximize throughput:

1) Every single Large pack Adventure(and/or launch)/R1T order with auto tonneaus. This includes every order placed up to know.
2) Every manual / no tonneau Large Adventure R1T
3) Launch/Adventure R1S 2018/2019 orders
4) Everyone else R1S Launch/Adventure
5) Explore R1T
6) Max R1T (if it ever happens)
As much as I'd love for that to be true, that would require delivering thousands of R1Ts in the next month or so and I just don't see that happening. Even if it's just the Adventure R1Ts with auto tonneau and BM/FE I doubt they are able to deliver all current orders by start of Q4 2022.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

How hard would it be to make a diy manual cover that folds up into the gear tunnel? Then just leave the electric one always rolled up.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
With these early problems, are others not concerned in fall with leaves and helicopter seeds dropping leading into winter with freezing rain and snow pack. I think the failure rate in first year alone will be extremely high. To me it almost seems like a guaranteed problem although I still have it on my reservation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Had to go in a change my vote!! Now it's stuck and will not move!!! 😬 :( One panel is sideways and locking it up totally. Have have called service center twice about the issue. WAITING!!
Rivian R1T R1S TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian? 20220613_154258(1)_LI

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I can finally vote on this poll. Been opening and closing the cover every day, so far its been fine. Granted it sounds terrible when it opens and closes, and there is a loud popping sound when its almost done opening all the way. But haven't had any issues with it not opening or closing completely.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I can finally vote on this poll. Been opening and closing the cover every day, so far its been fine. Granted it sounds terrible when it opens and closes, and there is a loud popping sound when its almost done opening all the way. But haven't had any issues with it not opening or closing completely.
Hope it keeps working for you!! You haven't had yours long, though. Mine also had that loud popping noise.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
If an owner has to leave the tonneau cover open while waiting for repairs how water-tight is the spare area?

Has anyone been through a very hard, long rain storm with the tonneau cover open and then checked this area?

The covers keep failing and I've seen more than one instance of Rivian saying they could deliver a new vehicle, but ask if the prospective owner would accept a non-working tonneau that needs parts. Parts which they expect to have in "weeks".

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
If an owner has to leave the tonneau cover open while waiting for repairs how water-tight is the spare area?

Has anyone been through a very hard, long rain storm with the tonneau cover open and then checked this area?

The covers keep failing and I've seen more than one instance of Rivian saying they could deliver a new vehicle, but ask if the prospective owner would accept a non-working tonneau that needs parts. Parts which they expect to have in "weeks".
Good question, but I hope the trunk/spare is weathertight like the Ridgeline. No reason it doesn't have weatherstripping. Especially since the tonneau itself is not weathertight.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Good question, but I hope the trunk/spare is weathertight like the Ridgeline. No reason it doesn't have weatherstripping. Especially since the tonneau itself is not weathertight.
I think I've seen pictures that clearly show weather stripping. But given some of the issues we have seen, and the fact that the bed itself could act like a bathtub in a very heavy rain, will that weather stripping be effective?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The spare compartment is weather stripped and the bed has drain provisions.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Had a heavy rain come through Chicago this week. Tonneau closed, this was all the water right after it ended:
Rivian R1T R1S TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian? PXL_20220614_005141526

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's not intended to be completely water tight.
Sponsored