Sponsored

TONNEAU ISSUES / TROUBLES POLL - Headaches for Us and Rivian?

What has your experience been with the automatic tonneau cover?

• Had a problem, but seems to have resolved itself over time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have problems periodically, but can use "Lil'O Annie's" patented trick ;-) to get it to work.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Had a heavy rain come through Chicago this week. Tonneau closed, this was all the water right after it ended:
PXL_20220614_005141526.jpg
I always cringe when I see the water coming out around the bed outlets on my truck, there is just something that doesnt sit well inside me with this...water...electricity.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Seeing these problems just isn't good. I suspect there is dust or other debris getting into the tonneau cover container and causing it to drag on one side. The more I see of this thing, the more I think I should pull it from my order.

I wonder if DiamondBack plans to make a tonneau for the R1T.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Seeing these problems just isn't good. I suspect there is dust or other debris getting into the tonneau cover container and causing it to drag on one side. The more I see of this thing, the more I think I should pull it from my order.

I wonder if DiamondBack plans to make a tonneau for the R1T.
Someone here or on reddit said they reached out to a few tonneau manufactures and the general reply was that they had no plans...

I'd buy a DiamondBack the second they are available.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Someone here or on reddit said they reached out to a few tonneau manufactures and the general reply was that they had no plans...

I'd buy a DiamondBack the second they are available.
Yea, I've got a high opinion of them. It's understandable that none are considering it yet. The R1T is still too scarce to bother and, of course, most of them are coming with a tonneau cover.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The spare compartment is weather stripped and the bed has drain provisions.
And the question is of course, "Are they effective?" Has anyone actually been in a downpour witht he tonneau open and then checked?

Sponsored

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Mine from day one wouldn't close completely. About an inch 1/2 before contacting tailgate. Service re-calibrated it. It now works most of the time but I do have the same issue from time to time. Gear tunnel has been great for just that, gear.
I know how to get it closed when that happens

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
I know how to get it closed when that happens
Do tell!!! I've recently submitted my 3rd service ticket as it just keeps happening. There isn't a recalibrate note on my infotainment screen when I operate from inside the truck. Service advisor tried that one on over the phone.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Problem on mine is directly correlated to having been out in the sun and allowed to get pretty hot. When it gets to the third slat that would begin going into the storage compartment, it hangs on that one. If I give it just a little help, it makes it past it, but you can definitely see where the housing is flexing to accommodate that piece. I really think tolerances were just too tight on that opening.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

And the question is of course, "Are they effective?" Has anyone actually been in a downpour witht he tonneau open and then checked?
šŸ¤” I do have a hose....

Sponsored

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Add me to the list upon delivery with a bad tonneau cover. It only opens maybe 10% of the way. We opened a service ticket while still at the SC to get it replaced. I was told they're backordered, not surprising!

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
For the no problems at all group I think the follow up question should be how often theyā€™ve cycled it

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

The suggestion I got at delivery was to ā€œkeep it cleanā€. That could mean a lot of different things. Sure, Iā€™d sweep off things like dead branches, acorns, whatever first. But how medieval are they expecting? Dirt/ dust? Bird poop? Do I have to quick detail the thing every time before I open it? Thatā€™s not ā€œAdventure Gradeā€ IMHO.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Add me to the list upon delivery with a bad tonneau cover. It only opens maybe 10% of the way. We opened a service ticket while still at the SC to get it replaced. I was told they're backordered, not surprising!
I would VERY happily take possession of a truck without a tonneau (or preferably with a manual) if that helps Rivian out with their powered tonneau backorder situation :D

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Rivians achilles heal.
Well that a customer communications