Snow socks for the 20s.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I wonder if chains would be OK for 275/60 R20 tires. Same diameter as the stock 21" setup.
Sponsored

rivianjr

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition - Launch Green
Occupation
Tech guy
Clubs

In Washington State (sigh, its the law) I've purchased chains for an Audi A4 AWD, An Audi Q5 AWD, and a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium. With near-weekly winter trips to ski areas and destinations like Mt Rainier/Whistler/Nelson - I've used any of these chains exactly once - getting up my neighborhood entrance in my 4Runner in glare ice after a thaw-freeze cycle. I went with the snow socks, believe they might get used once during the time I own my R1S... in the meantime, if anyone is looking for once used chains...

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
wow, I've never seen those before. I can't imagine those would hold up well under the weight and torque of the R1T but someone in the comments claimed they used them on a Model X which is probably the closest comparison at the moment.

Tire chains are a pain to put on, but I'm at least used to using them. I'd probably stick with traditional chains over these.
the textile snow "chains" are rated for light trucks and they make a version for heavier trucks … they're going to suffer on asphalt, but on snow, they seem to last
Note that Rivian has some words to say about chains.
I've been running diamond pattern chains on the rears with no problems (no contact with the body, no software or stability control issues.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Bumping this up. @the long way downunder did you have a chance to try the socks out in snow?

I just ordered a pair just to have it as an emergency measure but would be nice to see how these perform in real life.
Nope. I know from the online videos these textile "chains" work. I ran my R1T around on dirt for a while just to be sure they clear the suspension and brake hardware.

Sponsored

tofsla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Dumb question: Front? Rear? Both?
Owners manual says rear, only on the 22s but doesn’t specify for the other sizes.

I guess for the 20s with snow socks or the 21s it’s up to user discretion??

1670379582202.png
Was thinking about this as well since I order one pair.

From other's experiences on the 20s it sounds like the main issue is tail sliding in regen, so it may be worth putting them on the rear?

Could be the reason they recommend this for 21/22s?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Was thinking about this as well since I order one pair.

From other's experiences on the 20s it sounds like the main issue is tail sliding in regen, so it may be worth putting them on the rear?

Could be the reason they recommend this for 21/22s?
Tail sliding is the reason I opted for chains (that, and they're cheaper than socks as a compliance measure for driving in the passes in WA). You can't steer into the skid when your front tires are planted and the rear are moving.

I have to back out of a driveway and then 3-point-turn to exit the complex, all of which occurs on a grade of 23% (13⁰ angle). I hope chains on the rear are enough for me. I'll be sure to post videos if I have to exit in dicey conditions.

tofsla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
You can't steer into the skid when your front tires are planted and the rear are moving.
Which is why I thought better traction on the rear tires would (a) make tail sliding less likely and (b) in case it started sliding due to regen a gentle acceleration will help it to get out of the skid and level out.

So hopefully auto socks will help with both.

I really don't have a lot of experience in winter driving, just had a few drives to Tahoe in the middle of a snow storm with chain control in my Mazda CX5 AWD on stock AS tires (with snow peak), which I must say handled remarkably for the conditions (I was also very careful with the gas pedal).

If R1Ts stock AT tires are anything near or better, I think I'd be fine. With just one concern that the truck is really heavy and going downhill may be tricky.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Tail sliding is the reason I opted for chains (that, and they're cheaper than socks as a compliance measure for driving in the passes in WA). You can't steer into the skid when your front tires are planted and the rear are moving.

I have to back out of a driveway and then 3-point-turn to exit the complex, all of which occurs on a grade of 23% (13⁰ angle). I hope chains on the rear are enough for me. I'll be sure to post videos if I have to exit in dicey conditions.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Having more traction at the front versus the rear, is a recipe for oversteer. If one is putting traction devices on only one end, I’d make it the rear.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Honda Ridgeline, 2019 Toyota Sienna
Just watched a bunch of videos, including DOT testing, and was surprised. Had never heard of them but may actually consider them if clearance is actually an issue. Have to use chains 2-3 times a winter to get unstuck at our cabin in the mountains.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

Which chain did you get? Socks seems a bit expensive and I need to keep one for compliance reason in WA. I have been going to Snoqualmie ski resort at least 10 times a year for last two years and never had to to use chains in my previous vehicle (with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires), I am guessing same would be with Rivian.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just watched a bunch of videos, including DOT testing, and was surprised. Had never heard of them but may actually consider them if clearance is actually an issue. Have to use chains 2-3 times a winter to get unstuck at our cabin in the mountains.
Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. IMG_20221209_062700

We had 12-15" of some pretty wet stuff on the ground at our cabin last weekend. After digging out the 4' berm created by the plow, we went into Off-road/Highest and barreled our way in no problem. Backing out, at an angle, the next day was surprisingly a breeze. 7500lbs packs the snow in pretty well.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Which chain did you get? Socks seems a bit expensive and I need to keep one for compliance reason in WA. I have been going to Snoqualmie ski resort at least 10 times a year for last two years and never had to to use chains in my previous vehicle (with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires), I am guessing same would be with Rivian.
I went for the low profile Peerless SZ468 SUPER Z-8 chains: https://peerlesschain.com/products/super-z8#19555

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs