First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

So did you buy 4, or just 2?
Just two. I will only use them on the rear tires in Off Road / Highest. If things get really dicey here I will get snow socks for the front as well.

My driveway is a 23% grade that requires backing out and performing a three point turn. I'll post a video if I ever have need to exit my driveway in the snow. It might wind up being reassuring, funny, puckering or scary - we'll see (or not, I hope).
Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Thanks! Just ordered this. Hard to swallow the $200 after tax, which most likely I'll never use, but better to be prepared.
Still cheaper than pulling even the smallest dent, I imagine. Definitely cheaper than a fine for having no chains in the passes.

feedairy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Tacoma, R1T preorder
1668761243008.png

Very quick to install (2 minutes) and remove (30 seconds)
I tested front and rear, no touching or rubbing.
I plan on fitting them again with the R1T in the air so I can check between the tire and suspension to be sure there's no risk of a snag (this textile would surely destroy anything it caught while moving.)
From what I've seen textile traction aids are very good in most types of snow, "ok" on ice, but suffer when used on mixed surfaces (snow on gravel.)
Can I ask where you bought yours? I can only find size 698 on amazon, but autosock recommends "AL69"

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
In Washington State (sigh, its the law) I've purchased chains for an Audi A4 AWD, An Audi Q5 AWD, and a Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium. With near-weekly winter trips to ski areas and destinations like Mt Rainier/Whistler/Nelson - I've used any of these chains exactly once - getting up my neighborhood entrance in my 4Runner in glare ice after a thaw-freeze cycle. I went with the snow socks, believe they might get used once during the time I own my R1S... in the meantime, if anyone is looking for once used chains...
+1 for the never used chains for sale. CA also requires 4wd to have chains onboard. Though I’ve never seen it enforced. I have sizes to fit a ‘93 Grand Cherokee, ‘09 Silverado and a ‘10 Outback.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
+1 for the never used chains for sale. CA also requires 4wd to have chains onboard. Though I’ve never seen it enforced. I have sizes to fit a ‘93 Grand Cherokee, ‘09 Silverado and a ‘10 Outback.
If the AWD/4WD vehicle doesn't have four M+S or snow tires.
I've also never been questioned even when I was in a rental SUV and noticed the tires had good siping and handled well on highway slush in a storm, but were not actually M+S. I just assumed stopping distances would be 10x longer. : )

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Except CA has never had an R3 condition – Caltrans invariably closes the road. : )
Having driven in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, Colorado … Caltrans is astonishingly incapable of keeping the roads clear during the few, brief heavy storms experienced from decade to decade …
Yep. In reality the three chain control levels in CA are: no controls, R2, and closed. Which makes it feel like a waste to buy a pair of snow socks that will never get used. In the end I suspect I will cave and buy a pair.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Yep. In reality the three chain control levels in CA are: no controls, R2, and closed. Which makes it feel like a waste to buy a pair of snow socks that will never get used. In the end I suspect I will cave and buy a pair.
I bought the socks because the tires were not confidence inspiring. : )
I haven't used them in snow, but I'm optimistic, they'll give the R1T confident steering and braking with less (or no) sideslip on the steep last mile climbing up to the winter money pit.
But socks and chains don't solve the tire problem above 30 mph.
I'm going to wait for Snow Mode and see what it does.
I'm a career software dev, so I'm optimistic about the Google approach, "solving hardware problems with software" but …

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Anybody want to rent out their tire socks??

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Anybody want to rent out their tire socks??
You're welcome to borrow them. I'm near zip 94062. I'll be back from Tahoe just before NYE (prob Fri morning.)
Sponsored