Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. 1668761243008

Very quick to install (2 minutes) and remove (30 seconds)
I tested front and rear, no touching or rubbing.
I plan on fitting them again with the R1T in the air so I can check between the tire and suspension to be sure there's no risk of a snag (this textile would surely destroy anything it caught while moving.)
From what I've seen textile traction aids are very good in most types of snow, "ok" on ice, but suffer when used on mixed surfaces (snow on gravel.)

tofsla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Bumping this up. @the long way downunder did you have a chance to try the socks out in snow?

I just ordered a pair just to have it as an emergency measure but would be nice to see how these perform in real life.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
wow, I've never seen those before. I can't imagine those would hold up well under the weight and torque of the R1T but someone in the comments claimed they used them on a Model X which is probably the closest comparison at the moment.

Tire chains are a pain to put on, but I'm at least used to using them. I'd probably stick with traditional chains over these.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
wow, I've never seen those before. I can't imagine those would hold up well under the weight and torque of the R1T but someone in the comments claimed they used them on a Model X which is probably the closest comparison at the moment.

Tire chains are a pain to put on, but I'm at least used to using them. I'd probably stick with traditional chains over these.
Not enough clearance for chains on the OEM AT tires

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Rivian specifically says not to use chains.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Ah right, I remember a discussion about that in a previous post on the AT tires, but I still don't quite understand why.
@crashmtb mentioned it earlier: clearance.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Ah right, I remember a discussion about that in a previous post on the AT tires, but I still don't quite understand why.
The chains might snag dangling bits like the brake line. It may not be as much of a problem in higher suspension modes. I bought some low profile chains but I will only use them on the rear tires, mostly since the exit to my driveway is a steep downhill drop. It'll also be good to have the chains in case I take a trip through the passes on a dry day, since patrols can still cite you for not having chains (or socks) ready to install if needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The chains might snag dangling bits like the brake line. It may not be as much of a problem in higher suspension modes. I bought some low profile chains but I will only use them on the rear tires, mostly since the exit to my driveway is a steep downhill drop. It'll also be good to have the chains in case I take a trip through the passes on a dry day, since patrols can still cite you for not having chains (or socks) ready to install if needed.
yeah I was thinking I'd only ever use them in a real emergency and I'd put the truck in a higher suspension setting, but I'm sure this will be done by many others before me so I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

yeah I was thinking I'd only ever use them in a real emergency and I'd put the truck in a higher suspension setting, but I'm sure this will be done by many others before me so I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you.
But, but! I was looking forward to hearing how it works for you!

Honestly I hope I never have to install the chains.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think a lot is going to depend on which chains you choose to try. I know Rivian says no but if people are successfully using a 35ā€ tire there should be enough room for a low profile chain of some kind.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Dumb question: Front? Rear? Both?
Owners manual says rear, only on the 22s but doesnā€™t specify for the other sizes.

I guess for the 20s with snow socks or the 21s itā€™s up to user discretion??

Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. 1670379582202
Sponsored