Sponsored

Rodent attack...now what?

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
So, this is a new one for us. Our R1S is 3 months old, and started throwing an error message about a week ago. The service center was puzzled at first but it turns out that some of the wiring was damaged by rodents. $3,500 and of course not covered by insurance. The worst part is that it could happen again and we feel helpless.

I am researching the different options online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this in general? ie sprays? some sort of electric "fence" around the car, ultrasounds etc?

We have a bunch of traps set in the garage of course.

Thanks
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So, this is a new one for us. Our R1S is 3 months old, and started throwing an error message about a week ago. The service center was puzzled at first but it turns out that some of the wiring was damaged by rodents. $3,500 and of course not covered by insurance. The worst part is that it could happen again and we feel helpless.

I am researching the different options online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this in general? ie sprays? some sort of electric "fence" around the car, ultrasounds etc?

Thanks
A buddy of mine put a couple of these in his garage, they seemed to work for him so I put a couple in my attic and have not had any rodents up there since.

Last edited:

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I park on the driveway and have had rodent damage in my Tundra. Now I have both of these on the driveway. One goes in the engine compartment, but I have it sitting on the pavement facing up, under the R1. The other is by the garage door. I installed the engine version in both of the previous vehicles and it completely stopped the rodent dropping/urine under the hood. Bought the R1 in June and no issues so far. Hopefully it is scaring them away.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVDMCKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCKBGY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'd definitely want a professional to come out.

one44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
That's horrible - I had heard of a similar issue with Tesla early on. Apparently some of the eco-friendly coatings applied were more attractive to rabbits and other types of animals. I was always afraid after delivery of my 3 since we used to have a huge rabbit population in the area (has since dwindled down due to our cat population).

I'm not sure if there's a solve other than putting the car in a garage.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I keep a sacrificial ICE vehicle in my driveway for the rodents

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I realize this doesn't help you, but we have two stray cats living in our garage. They have a nest but prefer the Rivian (and I'm sure help with any pests).

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? 1710274715083-8x

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? 1710274870339-q2

I do TNR in my community and after healing up from their surgery, these two decided they preferred the cushy indoor life. Of course occasionally I have to chase them down off the glass roof. Don't want to find one Kim Java'ing through it someday, haha. 😆

Good luck, let us know how it goes with the repairs!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Now what?

Rodent Attack 2 - The new wave

To make a good movie you do have to implement the various defenses mentioned in this thread.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sorry, that stinks. And it can get worse, as in if you don’t get rid of them, they will both eat wires again and leave your vehicle fouled with a permanent odor.

You must be aggressive, persistent, and assasin like. Bring the professional artillery. All the things. Stay vigilant. Bear down. Long ball.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I realize this doesn't help you, but we have two stray cats living in our garage. They have a nest but prefer the Rivian (and I'm sure help with any pests).

1710274715083-8x.jpg

1710274870339-q2.jpg

I do TNR in my community and after healing up from their surgery, these two decided they preferred the cushy indoor life. Of course occasionally I have to chase them down off the glass roof. Don't want to find one Kim Java'ing through it someday, haha. 😆

Good luck, let us know how it goes with the repairs!
Never had roden-on-vehicle violence. Does comprehensive insurance cover or is this an out-of-pocket thing?

Here's mine preparing my taxes. He does not roam outside where the truck is though (too many coyotes about). He was the first living thing to ride shotgun since delivery; expensive trip to the vet!

ps—show me yours and I'll show you mine? wrong forum?

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? IMG_9572
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? IMG_9573

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

Thanks
What company / type of policy do you have? This should be covered under your Comprehensive insurance. I've never heard of a rodent-specific exclusion. If you insurance company insists, have them point out in the policy where the exclusion is called out.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
A few drops of peppermint oil in a spray bottle mixed with water. Spray the undercarriage and wheel wells for the vehicle. I've heard this works very well to keep pests and rodents at bay.

Onyx

First Name
Onyx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 quad motor R12
Occupation
Autobody

Thanks
There is a little alarm machine that you can put in your vehicle that senses vibrations and starts flashing and sends off a sound that only mice can hear (people can't). And it keeps them from wanting to get in your vehicle and stay there. One of those could do magic. I've used one under the hood in my old Ford. You can find them on Amazon for a pretty good deal.

Onyx

First Name
Onyx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 quad motor R12
Occupation
Autobody
There is a little alarm machine that you can put in your vehicle that senses vibrations and starts flashing and sends off a sound that only mice can hear (people can't). And it keeps them from wanting to get in your vehicle and stay there. One of those could do magic. I've used one under the hood in my old Ford. You can find them on Amazon for a pretty good deal.
I do live in the mountains. If you have kids make sure they never leave food in the car and you clean it up If they do. 👍🏿
Sponsored