R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
As others have already stated, best rodent preventer = hungry cat
Sponsored

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
I realize this doesn't help you, but we have two stray cats living in our garage. They have a nest but prefer the Rivian (and I'm sure help with any pests).

1710274715083-8x.jpg

1710274870339-q2.jpg

I do TNR in my community and after healing up from their surgery, these two decided they preferred the cushy indoor life. Of course occasionally I have to chase them down off the glass roof. Don't want to find one Kim Java'ing through it someday, haha. šŸ˜†

Good luck, let us know how it goes with the repairs!
From the other posters' cost to repair, if these cats get wind of this, they're going to charge you $6500 for services rendered, or a years supply of Friskies Caviar (Gilded Age Edition)

TR4

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T dual drive
Occupation
retired
I have had packrats move into a couple of my vehicles. With the first I took him to the pub at night and he went for a walk only to come back and find his ride had left. The second was a bit more tenacious and I had to resort to a live trap. Unfortunately, I kept catching passers by and not the inmate. Leaving the hood open and lots of bright lights eventually convinced him to move on.
Now I leave the lights on all night with a bright light under the vehicle. I haven't had any cable chews but the bulkhead insulation is a mess in the Kona ev. I hope the R1T does not become a target.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I had mice problems in my garage and took almost 6 months to get rid of them. Tried mouse traps with peanut butter and that got some of them. Tried the bucket type trap but that didnā€™t work. The glue traps worked for some. I used the ultra sonic gadgets and didnā€™t seem to help. I finally got the poison and it took awhile but finally no more mice. At first I thought the poison stopped working because I would see green droppings but they kept eating all the bait I put out. But finally one day I saw a bunch of flies and then no more mouse droppings. This is what used. Didnā€™t noticed any foul odor from the dead mice as they basically dried up. Or you could just get a cat.
JT Eaton 166004 709-PN Bait Block... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ICK5RG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sponsored

FlightDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have had squirrel damage to ICE vehicles and am also worried about wiring for my solar. I tried the Havahart trap and the critters just destroyed it.
Just ordered a larger Squirrelinator 2 on Amazon and can let you know how it works.
If humane live trapping does not work, I will fall back on delivering high speed lead poisoning.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

At my old house, I had rodents get into my X5 engine bay twice. It was a detached garage, and I had to battle for years trapping them.

We just moved into our brand new house this winter, and I keep telling myself they'll never get in here. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
From the other posters' cost to repair, if these cats get wind of this, they're going to charge you $6500 for services rendered, or a years supply of Friskies Caviar (Gilded Age Edition)
šŸ¤£šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸˆšŸˆā€ā¬›

fyton2v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS, FJ40, F150, MY
I've had this happen to my ICE vehicles a couple of times. Exorbitant costs at the dealer were eliminated with with soldering gun at home. Granted, it's easier if you can see the wire damage without ripping the whole vehicle apart. I'd imagine this wouldn't be too hard to do on an EV, assuming you could get to the wires involved without damaging things. There are a few more safety factors involved, but it wouldn't necessarily be a complex or dangerous thing to DIY. This will get fun and easier over time, I suppose. And DIY will be essential when we have millions of 10+ year-old EVs on the road. People will figure it out.

Kinda makes me wonder what ownership looks like in 2050 for the person with a classic R1S. Aftermarket replacements parts will probably be a thing. Now I'm curious how serviceable the skateboard platform is. Can you replace the batteries without lifting the body? Sorry, this is the wrong thread for that. Take care, all.

mountainman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
For those that have mice in their garages I learned something very valuable (that pest control companies won't tell you) from an exterminator with 25 years experience. Mice are voracious water drinkers. They HAVE to leave your garage/house/crawl space at minimum every 24 hours to drink. Spend all your time and energy blocking holes and they will magically disappear. For a garage, the key entry point are at the garage door edges. Buy some garage door bottom seal (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000052035?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1) and cut a small piece (ie 2 inches) to "square off" the ends at the bottom of the garage doors. I actually wrap mine in flexible wire mesh as the mice will eventually get desperate and chew through the rubber. I've also used The xcluder door sweep product (https://www.amazon.com/Xcluder-Low-...10696426&s=hi&sprefix=xclude,tools,256&sr=1-8) and cut a similar sized 2" piece if the mice are super aggressive. For holes, you can use rodent proof insulation spray to block access. I typically stuff steel wool in holes then cap it off with the insulation spray.

If you block all the access entry points, the mice will get desperate to get out so make sure you have traps set - otherwise they will die indoors in unknown locations.

JohnnyRocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Porsche 911 C4S, 2022 Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? 6D794D63586248794E46786962564F67684C31307A492D566B74546968336E7448686E507357382E4F473248506C7
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? 6B456A52327353426A46653351313666414F6F66774C497377336675316473364F4B53517867672E55314F7278773
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent attack...now what? IMG_2170

last July I had my R1T towed after receiving errors for the air suspension and collision warning system failures. After being towed, my garage Ring camera picked up motion (pic above). Iā€™ve never had a groundhog in my garage before, but he obviously didnā€™t like the Rivian.

Cleveland Service Center had it fixed in 3 days. Parts & Labor were $514. I got lucky the main harness was ok!
Sponsored

Last edited: