Sponsored

canikony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Tesla Model Y Performance
What's kinda crazy to me is how this is still so hard for them to fix. We all see what the problem is, the slats get jammed in the rails once they go slightly askew. Just throw some wheels on the edges into the runners, or make it so the slats are actually firmly connected to each other and just fold over one another. Either of those seems to me like they'd fix the problem at least to a point where it'd be better than where it is now. I've still never had a functional tonneau since getting my truck in August. It was stuck shut for a month, then took in for service, where they replaced the whole unit but kept it open for me. The very first time I tried to close it, it jammed. Next time I saw service, it was a mobile tech and he just ripped out the slats so my cover would be open again (per my request)
My guess is the issue is with the packaging of the fixes and the cost.

Either way, I'm holding off on my purchase until there is clarity one way or the other regarding the PTC. I was asked to confirm back in November but told them I want to wait.
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
this forum is a regular sewing circle. until rivian says otherwise i'll take whatever a "engineer" at a world cup party says with an extreme grain of salt.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it not feasible to remove the motor and just let it be a manual push and pull? I'm guessing they have already tested Munro's suggestion of another motor on the other side. Munro suspected the pulling from one corner caused binding when the panels stopped traveling on the same gear spindle.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Maybe sub the job out to Tesla for the fix?

Tesla Engineers > Rivian Engineers šŸ˜ž

All kidding aside, I honestly couldn't see this stumping Tesla for very long....

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
Spoke to my Guide today about some specifics on my Jan Delivery. She said MANUAL tonneau should be ready to ship Apr-May, and that the ver 2 electric is in redesign, but would not even speculate as to when.

Sponsored

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6
Iā€™m not questioning OP or the authenticity about what was said. Iā€™m guessing Rivian engineers are like every other profession and are not immune to hyperbole. ā€œRivian will never make another truck with a power tonneauā€ is a better conversation piece than ā€œwho knows when Rivian will ever put a power tonneau on another truck.ā€ I donā€™t think anyone knows whether this person was an engineer working on the tonneau or any other part of the R1T. For all we know he heard from someone who heard it from an employee who was twice removed from the original source. Letā€™s just call this as the engineer at the party probably doesnā€™t know for sure because the brass at Rivian probably doesnā€™t know for sure and leave it at that.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Maybe sub the job out to Tesla for the fix?

Tesla Engineers > Rivian Engineers šŸ˜ž

All kidding aside, I honestly couldn't see this stumping Tesla for very long....
Ha - I don't think anyone wants Tesla build quality in their Rivian. Tesla will sell you a car with wood trim from Home Depot holding the cooling system together.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

No offense to the OP, but I'm not going to get my feathers ruffled based on something somebody claiming to work for Rivian said at a party somewhere....

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Was at a World Cup party today and met a Rivian engineer
No offense to the OP, but I'm not going to get my feathers ruffled based on something somebody claiming to work for Rivian said at a party somewhere....
Was the "Rivian engineer" wearing a puffy orange vest, blue shorts, and a green headband? Trust me, that guy's word is as reliable as his recording abilities.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Was at a World Cup party today and met a Rivian engineer and was told flat out they will never make another truck with powered cover.

Iā€™d be happy if they just sent me a manual cover once that exist.
Further question, was this engineer Argentinian or French? This is a factor

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Ha - I don't think anyone wants Tesla build quality in their Rivian. Tesla will sell you a car with wood trim from Home Depot holding the cooling system together.
Lol... my Model Y was made just after the "Home Depot Molding" builds. It had zero defects from day one and never needed to go back to the SC, and the same for our current Model 3 which will celebrate it's 2nd birthday in March. Laugh at Tesla all you want, but my personal experience with two of their vehicles having zero defects and neither ever had to visit the SC afterword speaks for itself.

Last edited:

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

Lol... my Model Y was made just after the "Home Depot Molding" builds. It had zero defects from day one and never needed to go back to the SC, and the same for out current Model 3 which will celebrate it's 2nd birthday in March. Laugh at Tesla all you want, but my personal experience with two of their vehicles having zero defects and neither ever had to visit the SC afterword speaks for itself.
probably about as useful of an anecdote as any of the horror stories, but all the people I know with Teslas have been happy with them. I think the interiors are a weak point but they get the job done.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ha - I have all that on my truck and I can assure you nobody is going to pay for an old EV truck in 20 years.
I donā€™t knowā€¦I regret not buying a 2001 EV Ford Ranger last year when I saw it. I didnā€™t know much about it, but it wouldā€™ve made for a very fun truck to own and tinker with.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
If they pull the rug on a tonneau redesign all together, I think a full refund plus additional compensation is in order, in addition to a manual option. Some may have opted for the truck specifically for the powered tonneau and should it be completely removed, that will leave said some very unsettled.
Absolutely. If I had known the tonneau and camp kitchen were dead, I would have unquestionably gone with the R1S instead.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I donā€™t knowā€¦I regret not buying a 2001 EV Ford Ranger last year when I saw it. I didnā€™t know much about it, but it wouldā€™ve made for a very fun truck to own and tinker with.
pretty decent range on those things!
Sponsored