Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

As a stock owner I hope this is true. Rip off the band aid and move on. The powered cover was an ambitious pipe dream in the first place, which is why no other OEM has ever done it.

Of course this would anger many of the early adopters, but the reality is that there’s no solution that would avoid this.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

As a stock owner I hope this is true. Rip off the band aid and move on. The powered cover was an ambitious pipe dream in the first place, which is why no other OEM has ever done it.

Of course this would anger many of the early adopters, but the reality is that there’s no solution that would avoid this.
Yea, I've got a lot of stock myself and I own an R1T with the power tonneau. So I'm torn. It's a great feature IMO. That said, a rumor is a rumor is a rumor until it isn't.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Until someone with a name says it, I would chalk this up as a rumor. Which may eventually come true. The engineer may believe it himself, but he could be one engineer in a very large company, without knowledge of what solutions are being looked at.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
It's been clear for a while that they weren't going to make them anymore. Never make something that is essentially an accessory part of the base configuration. It's not worth the trouble.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The R1T with a powered tonneau cover will be the unicorn that everyone is looking for in 20-30 years lol. Matching numbers? ✔ Powered tonneau cover? ✔ 12V outlet in the Frunk? ✔ Wood trim? ✔
Ha - I have all that on my truck and I can assure you nobody is going to pay for an old EV truck in 20 years.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

when value for shareholders drives engineering decisions you get…. Well, PG&E 🫠

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Ha - I have all that on my truck and I can assure you nobody is going to pay for an old EV truck in 20 years.
we’ll, at least not with a new battery included:like:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
we’ll, at least not with a new battery included:like:
Not even with a new battery. Would you want an iPhone 1 with a new battery?

The only 1st generation EV that's worth anything is the Tesla Roadster for some collectors. Maybe a Rimac... Nobody wants a 2012 Model S and nobody is going to want a 2022 R1T even if it has a tiny launch edition badge on it.

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
What's kinda crazy to me is how this is still so hard for them to fix. We all see what the problem is, the slats get jammed in the rails once they go slightly askew. Just throw some wheels on the edges into the runners, or make it so the slats are actually firmly connected to each other and just fold over one another. Either of those seems to me like they'd fix the problem at least to a point where it'd be better than where it is now. I've still never had a functional tonneau since getting my truck in August. It was stuck shut for a month, then took in for service, where they replaced the whole unit but kept it open for me. The very first time I tried to close it, it jammed. Next time I saw service, it was a mobile tech and he just ripped out the slats so my cover would be open again (per my request)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What's kinda crazy to me is how this is still so hard for them to fix. We all see what the problem is, the slats get jammed in the rails once they go slightly askew. Just throw some wheels on the edges into the runners, or make it so the slats are actually firmly connected to each other and just fold over one another. Either of those seems to me like they'd fix the problem at least to a point where it'd be better than where it is now. I've still never had a functional tonneau since getting my truck in August. It was stuck shut for a month, then took in for service, where they replaced the whole unit but kept it open for me. The very first time I tried to close it, it jammed. Next time I saw service, it was a mobile tech and he just ripped out the slats so my cover would be open again (per my request)
There is no room for them to fold over each other. That would be a radically different design.

Adding wheels would require new slates to be designed so they could accommodate the wheels on the edges and it wouldn't prevent them from getting jammed if each side moved at a different speed.

They are not going to waste money completely redesigning this part. They will discontinue it and move on.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

when value for shareholders drives engineering decisions you get…. Well, PG&E 🫠
It’s ironic that you say that in response to my post, because guess where I work? If PG&E’s problems were that simple, they’d be resolved. It’s a tangled mess that’s intertwined with the state government, which we don’t want to get sidetracked about here.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s ironic that you say that in response to my post, because guess where I work? If PG&E’s problems were that simple, they’d be resolved. It’s a tangled mess that’s intertwined with the state government, which we don’t want to get sidetracked about here.
😬😬😬😬

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
There is no room for them to fold over each other. That would be a radically different design.

Adding wheels would require new slates to be designed so they could accommodate the wheels on the edges and it wouldn't prevent them from getting jammed if each side moved at a different speed.

They are not going to waste money completely redesigning this part. They will discontinue it and move on.
well ya, both ideas would require redesigns, which is what they're aiming to do, anyway. But hey, I'm not an engineer (although I majored as one for a whole three semesters back in college haha)
Sponsored