Sponsored

camping123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Jeep
Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered what exactly is in that powered tonneau cover space on the manual/no tonneau versions. How much or little of the hardware is there and how difficult is the space to access?

No surprise, all the hardware is gone. I didn't check to see if any of the wiring for the motor or open/close button was still present. But I was surprised to see how easy it was to access the empty cavity. Just 8 plastic covers and bolts to remove the back panel in the bed and you can gain access to the space.

It's not a huge amount of space and I'm guessing that water could run through there, but it would be handy to store some tools or recovery gear. I'm thinking of making a new panel to go here out of wood or plastic with a hinged door and tumbler lock. The stock panel dimensions are roughly 48.25" x 17.5" and it sticks out about 1.5" at the bottom which I may not try to copy.

Looking to get some feedback from the community on any other ideas or suggestions for using the space.

Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space IMG_1975

Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space IMG_1971

Corner of the space with the one way flaps into the cabin. Lifting the flaps you can see the foam cushioning of the rear seats. Too bad the rear seat backs don't fold. That would be convenient access.

Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space IMG_1973

Part number info for the plastic bed panel. If I could source another panel, I'd cut one of those up instead of making one out of plastic or wood.

Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.46.48 AM
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Looks like there's plenty of room for a 3rd party to make a manual sliding tonneau cover. Would just require a little strap or paracord handle to pull it out of storage and cover the bed.
I'd like to see someone make a vinyl rolling cover (like window blinds) that could mount into that space and leverage the existing channels. I understand that it's not as "secure" as the hard panels but I'm not sure why Rivian didn't just go that route in the first place.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Part number info for the plastic bed panel. If I could source another panel, I'd cut one of those up instead of making one out of plastic or wood.
You can order through service as a retail sale.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thatā€™s a decent amount of space for something, whether itā€™s an aftermarket tonneau or storage.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nice work opening that up for a look.

Notably, the Max Tracks recovery boards are 45"x13" and would fit nicely perhaps along with a tow strap, shackles, shovel.

Not sure a rolling tonneau would fit given the circular diameter requirements, but agree that would be ideal. Retrax rolling tonneau spiral canister is roughly 11" square at the profile, which theoretically could be smaller with the Rivian shorter bed needs.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If I could source another panel, I'd cut one of those up instead of making one out of plastic or wood.

How about a junkyard scrap pull?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

This photo makes me sad... Taking delivery shortly and I really wish I could have gotten the powered tonneau cause I can already hear my wife's nagging voice about the likely clunky manual option. Probably better than the "it's jammed" naggy voice tho...

OP
OP

camping123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Jeep
Notably, the Max Tracks recovery boards are 45"x13" and would fit nicely perhaps along with a tow strap, shackles, shovel.
I forgot to measure the dimensions when it was open, but the height and width of the cavity is around 7-8". Not enough for max tracks, but enough for other recovery gear.

You can order through service as a retail sale.
I'll try contacting service and see what they say. I fear what the cost might be.

How about a junkyard scrap pull?
This would be ideal. I know there's a few scrapped trucks out there. Just difficult tracking them down.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered what exactly is in that powered tonneau cover space on the manual/no tonneau versions. How much or little of the hardware is there and how difficult is the space to access? No surprise, all the hardware is gone. I didn't check to see if any of the wiring for the motor or open/close button was still present. But I was surprised to see how easy it was to access the empty cavity. Just 8 plastic covers and bolts to remove the back panel in the bed and you can gain access to the space. It's not a huge amount of space and I'm guessing that water could run through there, but it would be handy to store some tools or recovery gear. I'm thinking of making a new panel to go here out of wood or plastic with a hinged door and tumbler lock. The stock panel dimensions are roughly 48.25" x 17.5" and it sticks out about 1.5" at the bottom which I may not try to copy. Looking to get some feedback from the community on any other ideas or suggestions for using the space.

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Corner of the space with the one way flaps into the cabin. Lifting the flaps you can see the foam cushioning of the rear seats. Too bad the rear seat backs don't fold. That would be convenient access.
View attachment 45616

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.46.48 AM.png
Thanks for doing this and sharing. Iā€™d like to use this area for storage and donā€™t care about a tonneau. To do this it would be preferable to access the area from the top rather than the back.

Did you happen to explore the potential to remove the top cover? I noticed a bracket attaching it. I wonder if that bracket could be replaced or modified with a hInge.
Rivian R1T R1S Reclaiming empty powered tonneau cover space 8994A60D-8A21-4476-81D1-E6D5D8AF0E34

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

OP
OP

camping123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Jeep
Thanks for doing this and sharing. Iā€™d like to use this area for storage and donā€™t care about a tonneau. To do this it would be preferable to access the area from the top rather than the back.

Did you happen to explore the potential to remove the top cover? I noticed a bracket attaching it. I wonder if that bracket could be replaced or modified with a hInge.
I didn't explore how to access it from the top. It looks like it would be quite a bit more involved. There's at least a metal plate and the top plastic trim piece. There are some more pics and video of the top pieces removed in this thread https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/diy-tonneau-repairs-anyone-try-to-do-this-yet.6208/page-6. That is for the powered tonneau cover, but I think it would be similar enough in terms of plastic clips and overlapping trim pieces.

Also just as a side note, it appears that the empty space extends underneath the back glass a little bit. So if you accessed it from the top, the opening would be narrower and you might risk damaging the glass if you're taking things in and out of there all the time.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Hopefully Rivian will eventually come up with a factory hatch solution that will give us access. Would make a perfect storage spot for soft recovery gear (no old school metal shackles or metal hooks).

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Some smart person will come up with something useful for this space and I'm prepared to hand over my $ if they do. It seems such a shame to have this dead space for now given the good ideas I've heard here.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered what exactly is in that powered tonneau cover space on the manual/no tonneau versions. How much or little of the hardware is there and how difficult is the space to access?

No surprise, all the hardware is gone. I didn't check to see if any of the wiring for the motor or open/close button was still present. But I was surprised to see how easy it was to access the empty cavity. Just 8 plastic covers and bolts to remove the back panel in the bed and you can gain access to the space.

It's not a huge amount of space and I'm guessing that water could run through there, but it would be handy to store some tools or recovery gear. I'm thinking of making a new panel to go here out of wood or plastic with a hinged door and tumbler lock. The stock panel dimensions are roughly 48.25" x 17.5" and it sticks out about 1.5" at the bottom which I may not try to copy.

Looking to get some feedback from the community on any other ideas or suggestions for using the space.

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.46.48 AM.png
McGrubber!!!!