Sponsored

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Was at a World Cup party today and met a Rivian engineer and was told flat out they will never make another truck with powered cover.

I’d be happy if they just sent me a manual cover once that exists.
Sponsored

Last edited:

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Was at a World Cup party today and met a rivian engineer and was told flat out they will never make another truck with powered cover.

I’d be happy if they just sent me a manual cover once that exist.
Did he have anything else to say? dual motors? Max pack? Etc.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Was at a World Cup party today and met a rivian engineer and was told flat out they will never make another truck with powered cover.

I’d be happy if they just sent me a manual cover once that exist.
Are they still planning a fix for the existing powered tonneaus or are they just giving us a manual cover and partial refund?

If they are still planning a fix, seems odd they wouldn’t make it available as a future option. I imagine that’s a lot of R&D for a relatively small number of trucks.

Hopefully they have a plan for the space where the powered tonneaus are stored otherwise it’s wasted space.

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Yeah I have my doubts for a fix, too. At this point I’m fine with a manual as a replacement as well as a partial refund
If they pull the rug on a tonneau redesign all together, I think a full refund plus additional compensation is in order, in addition to a manual option. Some may have opted for the truck specifically for the powered tonneau and should it be completely removed, that will leave said some very unsettled.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
additional compensation is in order
world peace, a living wage for all, an end to homelessness via supportive housing are all more likely than that.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Once they actually make that determination I’m sure someone else will figure out how to fix it. Munroe even had a few suggestions too. Even ones that don’t require two motors.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would caution everyone to not hit the panic button. This is anecdotal and there is quite a bit left unsaid with that comment from the engineer. Does that only apply to future orders? Does it mean they will be disabling current powered tonneaus and issuing refunds?

If they do apply this to current trucks, IMHO Rivian owes you nothing more than a refund and removal of your tonneau.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would caution everyone to not hit the panic button. This is anecdotal and there is quite a bit left unsaid with that comment from the engineer. Does that only apply to future orders? Does it mean they will be disabling current powered tonneaus and issuing refunds?

If they do apply this to current trucks, IMHO Rivian owes you nothing more than a refund and removal of your tonneau.
I never fall for these "Trust me bro" posts, but a lot do. I've still been using my cover with minor snow and ice on it, and haven't had it break yet. If it does, I'll take everything apart to fix it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I never fall for these "Trust me bro" posts, but a lot do. I've still been using my cover with minor snow and ice on it, and haven't had it break yet. If it does, I'll take everything apart to fix it.
No one would ever exaggerate anything at a party or wedding or class reunion would they? 🤔

Rivian R1T R1S RIP - Powered Tonneau ?? (says Rivian engineer) 1671459938069

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No one would ever exaggerate anything at a party or wedding or class reunion would they? 🤔
I wasn't there so I'd rather take it as "Rivian won't be able to figure out how to actually make working covers" versus having actual insider knowledge that "Rivian won't be making more, period".

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

1671459938069.png
He’s a ’PHONY’ that hat comes right off.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wasn't there so I'd rather take it as "Rivian won't be able to figure out how to actually make working covers" versus having actual insider knowledge that "Rivian won't be making more, period".
I agree 100%.
Sponsored