Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Pretty sure one of the 10k people will take them to court for a buy back. Some people would buy a different vehicle without the power tonneau cover, even if that is an R1S.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Lol... my Model Y was made just after the "Home Depot Molding" builds. It had zero defects from day one and never needed to go back to the SC, and the same for out current Model 3 which will celebrate it's 2nd birthday in March. Laugh at Tesla all you want, but my personal experience with two of their vehicles having zero defects and neither ever had to visit the SC afterword speaks for itself.
those are very recent builds so they shouldnā€™t have issues. I drove a 2014 Model S for 8 years. It had 4 broken door handles replaced, 2 motor replacements, 2 MCUs, several interior trim replacements and an all glass roof with a reoccurring water leak that was never really fixed right. I loved the car despite all that, but the build quality in the first few years was atrocious. Rivian is light years ahead in their first year compared too my third model year Tesla.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
All kidding aside, I honestly couldn't see this stumping Tesla for very long....
it's been less than 2 months since the tonneau email ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Was at a World Cup party today and met a Rivian engineer and was told flat out they will never make another truck with powered cover.

Iā€™d be happy if they just sent me a manual cover once that exist.
How on Earth did this hearsay turn into 5 pages of comments?

Rivian outsourced the tonneau to BOS. They'll renovate the design with lessons learned:
  1. more durable working materials
  2. synchronizing mechanism to control gear mesh
  3. controller logic to soft-start when a panel is tilted during engagement
  4. suspension to prevent the stacking noise
  5. leaf spring helper
  6. stack lock-out support (when the vehicle is moving with the cover partially open)
I'd suggest making the stack removable. It needs only two fasteners to hold it in place (it's weight and positioning would be fixed tabs in the cab body) and a power/control electrical connector which could be engaged as the stack cassette is dropped into place. The fasteners could be electrically actuated like the gear cable locks in the bed.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

How on Earth did this hearsay turn into 5 pages of comments?

Rivian outsourced the tonneau to BOS. They'll renovate the design with lessons learned:
  1. more durable working materials
  2. synchronizing mechanism to control gear mesh
  3. controller logic to soft-start when a panel is tilted during engagement
  4. suspension to prevent the stacking noise
  5. leaf spring helper
  6. stack lock-out support (when the vehicle is moving with the cover partially open)
I'd suggest making the stack removable. It needs only two fasteners to hold it in place (it's weight and positioning would be fixed tabs in the cab body) and a power/control electrical connector which could be engaged as the stack cassette is dropped into place. The fasteners could be electrically actuated like the gear cable locks in the bed.
The engineerā€™s comments are no more hearsay than your comments. Instead of blindly trusting what people say, letā€™s look at the evidence of what we have seen from Rivian so far:

Rivian knew itā€™s powered tonneau cover design was flawed before it ever delivered the first unit to a customer. We know this because many pre-production vehicles doing press circuits had broken tonneau covers, and many of the journalists who drove these pre-production vehicles were not allowed to use the covers. Once vehicles began delivering to customers, reports of malfunctioning covers began immediately circulating the forums and Reddit. Eventually, the Service Centers halted repairs on the tonneau covers and Rivian stopped producing new vehicles with the defective covers.

In the roughly two years from pre-production tonneau failures to our current status of abandoning the powered tonneau covers all together, the only solution that Rivian has produced is one email saying that the defective tonneau covers will be fixed sometime in the future. They didnā€™t give a timeline for this solution, and couldnā€™t even show a mock-up of the alternative manual cover option. They also didnā€™t provide a timeline for the manual cover solution ā€” heck, they didnā€™t even give a description of what it will look like or how it will work. Their email update told us next to nothing. This was especially egregious because there are currently no third party tonneau cover options. The current lack of ANY tonneau covers for the R1T effectively cripples the functionality of the truck for current and near-term future buyers; as well as everyone who currently has a broken tonneau cover.

I am a huge fan of Rivian. I think they make incredible vehicles. What they have accomplished with their first two vehicles is nothing short of amazing. But based on everything we have seen thus far, I think the safe money is on Rivian abandoning the powered tonneau solution. I truly hope I am wrong about this. I want Rivian to succeed and think everyone who was lucky enough to receive a R1T deserves a tonneau cover that works. I just think itā€™s a large leap of faith to expect Rivian to remedy this issue based on everything we have seen from them thus far. Additionally, just as with the Ford F-150 Lightning, we are trending in the wrong direction when it comes to new hardware features as production continues to ramp.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The engineerā€™s comments are no more hearsay than your comments. Instead of blindly trusting what people say, letā€™s look at the evidence of what we have seen from Rivian so far:

Rivian knew itā€™s powered tonneau cover design was flawed before it ever delivered the first unit to a customer. We know this because many pre-production vehicles doing press circuits had broken tonneau covers, and many of the journalists who drove these pre-production vehicles were not allowed to use the covers. Once vehicles began delivering to customers, reports of malfunctioning covers began immediately circulating the forums and Reddit. Eventually, the Service Centers halted repairs on the tonneau covers and Rivian stopped producing new vehicles with the defective covers.

In the roughly two years from pre-production tonneau failures to our current status of abandoning the powered tonneau covers all together, the only solution that Rivian has produced is one email saying that the defective tonneau covers will be fixed sometime in the future. They didnā€™t give a timeline for this solution, and couldnā€™t even show a mock-up of the alternative manual cover option. They also didnā€™t provide a timeline for the manual cover solution ā€” heck, they didnā€™t even give a description of what it will look like or how it will work. Their email update told us next to nothing. This was especially egregious because there are currently no third party tonneau cover options. The current lack of ANY tonneau covers for the R1T effectively cripples the functionality of the truck for current and near-term future buyers; as well as everyone who currently has a broken tonneau cover.

I am a huge fan of Rivian. I think they make incredible vehicles. What they have accomplished with their first two vehicles is nothing short of amazing. But based on everything we have seen thus far, I think the safe money is on Rivian abandoning the powered tonneau solution. I truly hope I am wrong about this. I want Rivian to succeed and think everyone who was lucky enough to receive a R1T deserves a tonneau cover that works. I just think itā€™s a large leap of faith to expect Rivian to remedy this issue based on everything we have seen from them thus far. Additionally, just as with the Ford F-150 Lightning, we are trending in the wrong direction when it comes to new hardware features as production continues to ramp.
check the definition of hearsay

I've bullet-pointed the problem-solution, not asserted any facts from a third party or privileged knowledge of corporate history or decisions. Nor have I indulged in hyperbole of "never" or "crippled" ... the big 3 pickups and most of their smaller and larger models in the USA are sold without a bed cover ... it's an accessory.

Last month the furore was about Snow Mode, and this month, Snow Mode arrived as a software update. Rivian is clearly listening, but the tonneau isn't a software fix. I'm guessing BOS is contractually obligated to fix every unit sold and furnish Rivian with a fully functional product. I'm also guessing that process started during initial production in late '21 as the deficiencies of the tonneau became apparent.

It's only the misgivings surrounding Rivian's inexplicable failures in delivering on promised features, functions and equipment that gives rise to exaggerated speculation.

Last edited:

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Think a Hyundai Santa Cruz-style tonneau would fit in the space available? I would be totally happy with that system.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Think a Hyundai Santa Cruz-style tonneau would fit in the space available? I would be totally happy with that system.
The Peragon cover looks like it would have a packing density similar to the existing slat system.

Interestingly, I heard about Peragon because Youtube served me an ad when I was watching the Munro Live video on the powered Tonneau. Nail on head ad algorithm.

https://www.peragon.com/

31ectr0nicB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
For those of us who have working tonneau covers, anyone have a maintenance regime that will allow us to keep them working as they should?
-Teflon or dry lube spray locations
-cleaning x/week
-etc

Sponsored

Rivla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla/Rivian/Volvo
For those of us who have working tonneau covers, anyone have a maintenance regime that will allow us to keep them working as they should?
-Teflon or dry lube spray locations
-cleaning x/week
-etc
Any word on this? Iā€™d love a list of best practices from those who have successfully managed to keep the powered tonneau covers working!

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The Peragon cover looks like it would have a packing density similar to the existing slat system.

Interestingly, I heard about Peragon because Youtube served me an ad when I was watching the Munro Live video on the powered Tonneau. Nail on head ad algorithm.

https://www.peragon.com/
Wow that looks great - thy would be awesome if the Rivian manual tonneau will be able to partially retract like that without having to completely separate out a part. If not, hopefully peragon supports the R1T at some point

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Any word on this? Iā€™d love a list of best practices from those who have successfully managed to keep the powered tonneau covers working!
POWERED TONNEAU BEST PRACTICES:

1. DON'T USE IT.

2. If you must use it, make a sacrifice to your God(s) of choice BEFORE even thinking about using it. Virgins and shots of bourbon have shown the most success. Tennessee whiskey results in crooked tonneau, ask @Lil'O Annie

3. Spray dry lube along the rails, all over the inside of the tonneau housing, a couple shots in your eyeball by mistake, and a little on your favorite pants(!) at least once a month when it's open.

4. Slightly push (opening) or pull (closing) on the tonneau WITH TWO HANDS EQUALLY to take strain off the motor.

5. Thank @RJScaringe every time it works šŸ˜šāœŒ

Rivla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla/Rivian/Volvo
POWERED TONNEAU BEST PRACTICES:

1. DON'T USE IT.

2. If you must use it, make a sacrifice to your God(s) of choice BEFORE even thinking about using it. Virgins and shots of bourbon have shown the most success. Tennessee whiskey results in crooked tonneau, ask @Lil'O Annie

3. Spray dry lube along the rails, all over the inside of the tonneau housing, a couple shots in your eyeball by mistake, and a little on your favorite pants(!) at least once a month when it's open.

4. Slightly push (opening) or pull (closing) on the tonneau WITH TWO HANDS EQUALLY to take strain off the motor.

5. Thank @RJScaringe every time it works šŸ˜šāœŒ
Hahaha but damn, really?? Is this pretty much the case for everyone with the PTC or is it the yelp review phenomenon at play?

Iā€™ve tried to get as knowledgeable as possible about it, and I expect to have to lube it regularly and always keep it debris-free, but are they all really this shaky? I was hoping to get lucky and get a good oneā€¦but sounds like thereā€™s no such thing?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hahaha but damn, really?? Is this pretty much the case for everyone with the PTC or is it the yelp review phenomenon at play?

Iā€™ve tried to get as knowledgeable as possible about it, and I expect to have to lube it regularly and always keep it debris-free, but are they all really this shaky? I was hoping to get lucky and get a good oneā€¦but sounds like thereā€™s no such thing?
I legitimately do 3 and 4. I got a ton of evergreen needles in there accidently once last fall and screamed like a little girl, but it's been fine. Just go easy on it, minimize use, and ain't no party like a dry lube party 'cause a dry lube party is
mandatory.
Sponsored