R1T 12v batteries dead

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Thank you, sorry to hear about a week of pain for a software glitch. This is actually sounding familiar to what they had diagnosed on mine back in late Jan. At the time I did a reset and went away. AT next SC visit, they told me it was a software bug...
As for the work they did this time, see below. Both 12v replaced, picking it up in Brooklyn tomorrow. Funny as as I have been to Brooklyn 4 times in 6 months vs 0 in the past 10 years :mad:

Concern:- Customer states that his vehicle is unresponsive.
Cause:- vehicle was unresponsive due to vehicle experienced dead 12v, removed 12v batteries &replaced with new battery Due to vehicle having 12V alert concern last service visit.
Approved the one-time goodwill 12V replacement.
Correction/Remedy:- 12V Batteries Other Labor (0.5 hours)

Error message from Jan for reference

Rivian R1T R1S R1T 12v batteries dead R1T - 1
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thank you, sorry to hear about a week of pain for a software glitch. This is actually sounding familiar to what they had diagnosed on mine back in late Jan. At the time I did a reset and went away. AT next SC visit, they told me it was a software bug...
As for the work they did this time, see below. Both 12v replaced, picking it up in Brooklyn tomorrow. Funny as as I have been to Brooklyn 4 times in 6 months vs 0 in the past 10 years :mad:

Concern:- Customer states that his vehicle is unresponsive.
Cause:- vehicle was unresponsive due to vehicle experienced dead 12v, removed 12v batteries &replaced with new battery Due to vehicle having 12V alert concern last service visit.
Approved the one-time goodwill 12V replacement.
Correction/Remedy:- 12V Batteries Other Labor (0.5 hours)
One time goodwill.....these people crack me up!

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
It's amazing they are saying "one time". If it happens again in a few months they better replace it again for free. There's clearly some bug. Hopefully it's solvable with software.

I don't think we are getting the full picture from Rivian. Too many people having this in too short a window. I'm so nervous to take the car long distance right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
It is a great truck but you do have to make allowance for them being a new company and you doing some beta testing. I was pretty relaxed about it but if it is your only vehicle, clearly not so good.
I am not too worried about the one time goodwill as such, if it does happen again, given the number of occurrences here (would be a repeat for me too and fully documented) I would expect them to cover. Had no major issue for 6 months prior to this but few small items which they have fixed. I am just glad it happened at home.
Certainly wouldn't prevent me from buying the truck.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It is a great truck but you do have to make allowance for them being a new company and you doing some beta testing. I was pretty relaxed about it but if it is your only vehicle, clearly not so good.
I am not too worried about the one time goodwill as such, if it does happen again, given the number of occurrences here (would be a repeat for me too and fully documented) I would expect them to cover. Had no major issue for 6 months prior to this but few small items which they have fixed. I am just glad it happened at home.
Certainly wouldn't prevent me from buying the truck.
But just look at the damage they do to themselves by not running their service side of the business with awareness that these types of words hurt their sales efforts. So stupid.....and arrogant. Or just stupid...not sure which....

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Agree they need to improve on the service side. They might be overwhelmed by the ramp up given the 1+ month lead-time to get an appointment. Not the customer problem but given deliveries and teething issues...
You raise an item on the app, they call you but nothing gets decided until it gets to SC which you can not reach to directly, only via transfer from main number. Maddening.
Roadside assistance has no access to service logs either...
And I picked up the truck in Brooklyn yesterday, it was filthy, granted it snowed the day before but by 11am, one expects a quick wash as basic service. No SA in sight, just a mechanic dropping the truck in front...They also let my truck sit there from Mon PM to Friday...
They have only 2 SAs in Brooklyn covering the trial-state area.
Lot of room for improvement in basic car servicing

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
The "one time goodwill" is a deliberate campaign Rivian is deploying in their messaging to customers. My most recent service call required a hauler to the Service Center. The service rep was responsive, professional, and courteous: "We're sorry for your experience and we'll take care of it". About an hour after hanging up, he called me back and said he needed to let me know that Rivian was paying for the hauler as a "one time goodwill" gesture but that I may have to pay for the hauling charges for future service calls. It was obvious that someone in his chain of command had reviewed the situation and instructed him to give me this "notice".

...appears they are trying to manage future expectations as they look to cut costs.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Will it lower the risk if your charging while receiving an OTA?
I would think it would.. as it at least "should" help keep the 12V batts charged.

Seeing all the issues w/the last update.. I'm going to charge to 70% (my usual limit) and keep the truck plugged in then apply the next update.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The "one time goodwill" is a deliberate campaign Rivian is deploying in their messaging to customers. My most recent service call required a hauler to the Service Center. The service rep was responsive, professional, and courteous: "We're sorry for your experience and we'll take care of it". About an hour after hanging up, he called me back and said he needed to let me know that Rivian was paying for the hauler as a "one time goodwill" gesture but that I may have to pay for the hauling charges for future service calls. It was obvious that someone in his chain of command had reviewed the situation and instructed him to give me this "notice".

...appears they are trying to manage future expectations as they look to cut costs.
Tesla uses the same verbiage "goodwill" when they cover something under warranty even when it's clearly a warranty issue and well within the warranty coverage period/mileage limitations.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This whole dead 12V battery issue could have been and can be avoided if Rivian simply used or going forward switches to 12V Li-Ion batts for it's primary batteries. Automotive 12V Li-Ion batts have a built-in BMS with a software and hardware disconnect once total voltage drops below a certain level, but that level is way above the level that damage the cells/battery so all you need to do is recharge it and you're golden again with no need to replace the battery because it was discharged. It's called "battery protection".. maybe Rivian can look it up on Youtube :rolleyes:

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Add me to the list! Bricked last night and had to get it towed. SC called this morning and believe its the 12v battery. Same symptoms as already stated here.

Just updated to the lates software in the morning. Coincidence!?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Tesla uses the same verbiage "goodwill" when they cover something under warranty even when it's clearly a warranty issue and well within the warranty coverage period/mileage limitations.
But do they add the additionally aggressive "one time" to their verbiage? That is a particularly aggressive wording to me.
Sponsored