SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

With all the hype of the R2, R3, and R3X, the R1 seems to have faded into the background. I have also been noticing that the R1 dual motor seems to be the more desirable version of the R1. I am now beginning to wonder if quad motor Rivians will soon pass into history.

Brian
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I think the quad will certainly become less popular when people have a lower cost option and don't care about the extra performance. But I don't think they go away, just like the S variations. It would not surprise me to see an R1 Quad Enduro with 1000+ hp.

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
I’m guessing QM is going to be < 10% of sales going forward. There just aren’t many people willing to pay for that kind of performance. It’s going to be a low volume halo product. I like going fast, but the base dual motor is still plenty fast. They really need a cheaper RWD variant. That would sell well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I foresee a day in the future when you will see a number of Rivians out and about. Very few of these will be sporting the bright yellow brake calipers.

Brian

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I foresee a day in the future when you will see a number of Rivians out and about. Very few of these will be sporting the bright yellow brake calipers.

Brian
Didn’t the R3 have yellow calipers? I suppose they were hidden by the aero wheels so it could’ve been hard to notice. The R2 may get yellow calipers too?

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

And here I thought us early adopters were going to have something special. Shame on me.

Brian

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I think a quad enduro will happen. DM is enough for most of the public. For example, my FIL is looking at getting an R1S and he has no need for a quad. Even the non-performance version is plenty fast.

I love how fast my R1S is, but i rarely floor it.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
There is a limit to how much current the battery can output but there is no limit to how powerful you can make 1 motor. It should not be hard to max out the battery with 2 or 3 motors. Once you hit the battery's max output, adding more motors will do nothing to but increase weight and reduce the performance, unless you can use the fact that there is a motor at each corner to do tricks that you couldn't do with 2 or 3. Like the tank turn that we are never going to see in real life.

It doesn't seem like Rivian has figured out how to implement any features that couldn't be done just as well with 2 or 3 motors. If that continues to be the case, then there is no benefit to 4 smaller motors over 2 or 3 larger motors and it would make no sense for Rivian to continue with a quad.

Once 95% of Rivian's sales are coming from non-quad motor vehicles as will be the case once the R2 and R3 come out, they are not very likely to spend all that much R&D money trying to figure out how to make better use of a 4th motor that most of their offerings can't make use of.

So my prediction is that if Rivian hasn't come out with any compelling features that could only be implemented with a quad motor setup before the R2 and R3 hit their stride, the quad motor will be discontinued in favor of tri-motor version that outperforms the quad in every way.

How many of the quad motor lovers out there would pay more for the quad if it was both slower and had less range than the other configs?

Last edited:

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Brian
The day of seeing a number of Rivians is already here in some areas. I saw at least 25 yesterday driving around LA. And I think I’m being very conservative with that number.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I would imagine Rivian is working on a Quad motor but with the enduro engines since they are developed in house and seem to be more efficient. The Quad would remain a top of the line configuration but tri-motor would be fine too.

Some have stated that for off roading the dual with the differentials is better than quad but who knows.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It doesn't seem like Rivian has figured out how to implement any features that couldn't be done just as well with 2 or 3 motors.
True torque vectoring.
Sponsored