Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Quad is range topping model where money and complexity are not the issues. If they were, we wouldn't be enjoying the McLaren inspired suspension we're having on our R1T/S. Nothing can beat the quad performance onroad. I don't think the quad will go any time soon.
I think ya'll just need to be prepared for quad going away; maybe short term, maybe long term. Although to "waste" that engineering for a 3 year product run would be a mistake from my perspective.
Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Also a 2024, yes?
1712153430769-5g.png

I really have to wonder if this means a C VIN could have started life as a PDM Max pack but could get reconfigured in software to a standard battery standard dual motor for a sale.
It's interesting that they don't specify battery in the 2025 VIN, but did before. And based on what we're seeing with standard packs seemingly with large batteries, I wonder if this is their innovation to use less parts to make more products.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's interesting that they don't specify battery in the 2025 VIN, but did before. And based on what we're seeing with standard packs seemingly with large batteries, I wonder if this is their innovation to use less parts to make more products.
Certainly feels that way. Same battery for all 2025 vehicles at SOP. I imagine when they introduce LFP that they'll add additional VIN codes in- unless they plan on using the vehicle trim to differentiate battery size.

OP
OP

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
That's a really good point. Another sign that the software-locked batteries are a thing.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Three enduros would be 900 hp. Quad would need to up its game.
It wouldn't work like that. An axle with two Enduros on it (I am using term axle loosely to define front or back and not that they are technically on same axle) would be two different Enduros than the current design. So likely each not as powerful.
3 Enduro's would actually be 1000hp(PDM=665hp) unless as R1Tom says it wouldn't work that way.

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
R2 and R3 are going to be Tri motor, it makes sense to standardize across the entire model lineup. I don't know if this will be good or bad for our Quad values though. :(

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

R2 and R3 are going to be Tri motor, it makes sense to standardize across the entire model lineup. I don't know if this will be good or bad for our Quad values though. :(
R2 and R3 will be available in Tri motor but also DM and SM. If they want to have a QM on R1 they certainly can and mix and match front and rear drive trains as they want to.

I suspect they will keep a QM as a differentiating feature to the competition if people keep wanting to pay a premium for it.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Certainly feels that way. Same battery for all 2025 vehicles at SOP. I imagine when they introduce LFP that they'll add additional VIN codes in- unless they plan on using the vehicle trim to differentiate battery size.
What’s “SOP”?
I mean, I know but I’m asking for any readers who might not.

If all vehicles had the same battery and were only software limited, the lower range ones would be incredible because they wouldn’t face nearly as much range degradation over time. No?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What’s “SOP”?
I mean, I know but I’m asking for any readers who might not.

If all vehicles had the same battery and were only software limited, the lower range ones would be incredible because they wouldn’t face nearly as much range degradation over time. No?
Start of Production.

For sure, lower range vehicles are a heck of a value. You also would get faster 0-100% charging since you're only using the middle of the battery. Likely still have regeneration even at 100% if the vehicle lets you "overcharge" the battery.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Buy 3 motors, get 1 free on your resale value.

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Mark my words…. Rivian will release a tri motor with more HP and faster rolling or whatever 0-60. Minds will meld.

RivianCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A car
Entry trim name gets changed to bringing back Explore?
My theory:
Entry --> Explore
Adventure --> Adventure
Premium --> Ascend

LM248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Looking at the low prices of Rivian demos they're selling and the softening used market more broadly -- and EV market in general with lower demand, discounts, price cuts, and factory layoffs -- it seems to tease a big price cut is pending with the 2025 and/or range across all models improves pretty substantially.

I don't think it teases out discontinuation of the quad, otherwise used quads would be see a surge in the used market, no?

Last edited:

LM248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I could see a -$10K base starting MSRP of $64,900 for the 2025 model year. That puts it in range with the all new Lexus GX, which starts at $64,250.
Sponsored