Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Me too! I hope they don't kill off the QM. From my perspective I love the torque vectoring without brake involvement.

Or maybe in the TM they will use wet clutches to vector torque with ability to 100% lock or 100% open to really make a superior off road system as well as on road.
Quad is getting deleted. They can save money and complexity with tri enduros, plus break up with Bosch.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Sorry to disappoint, but quad motor does NOT obviate the need for lockers and is easily proven off-road with the current quad setup. The obstacle in my profile pic saw two wheels flying and the truck refusing to move...even a single locker would've helped in that situation. A good tri-motor setup with a locker on the single-motor axle would likely go a long way in improving that situation, but we'll be able to tell once Tesla enables the lockers on the CyberTruck as a point of comparison. Quad motor shows its worth *on-road* only, not off-road. On-road they do some pretty amazing things with torque vectoring, but the same way it doesn't work well off-road in tricky situations it also presents a hazard on-road in off-camber situations on ice.
I met you at Sugarloaf Mt when you were going up to tackle that obstacle! I agree with you in it's current implementation, but do believe that a good motor control would prevent the odd behavior that you experienced. It should have enough power per wheel to move, but seems to be artificially limited by the traction control logic.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Quad is getting deleted. They can save money and complexity with tri enduros, plus break up with Bosch.
Quad is range topping model where money and complexity are not the issues. If they were, we wouldn't be enjoying the McLaren inspired suspension we're having on our R1T/S. Nothing can beat the quad performance onroad. I don't think the quad will go any time soon.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Quad is range topping model where money and complexity are not the issues. If they were, we wouldn't be enjoying the McLaren inspired suspension we're having on our R1T/S. Nothing can beat the quad performance onroad. I don't think the quad will go any time soon.
Three enduros would be 900 hp. Quad would need to up its game.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps break up with Bosch on the electric motor part of the businesss, but by all accounts they are using, and will continue to use, the Bosch EV brake controller system, and probably some other Bosch OEM parts.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Three enduros would be 900 hp. Quad would need to up its game.
It wouldn't work like that. An axle with two Enduros on it (I am using term axle loosely to define front or back and not that they are technically on same axle) would be two different Enduros than the current design. So likely each not as powerful.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I like the entry, adventure, premium trim lineup. One for the cost conscious, one that is similar to what we have today (with a few corners cut) and one for the more luxury oriented with updated audio, massaging seats, body color trim etc. Good step in the path to profitability

I do hope the QM remains as the flagship as that is uniquely Rivian

crow979

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT PE
I'm not sure there's a rule or even a guideline about model year beginning. I bought the very first 2020 Jeep Gladiator in northern Nevada on May 17, 2019. Not the first ever Gladiator, the first one sold in northern Nevada.
Actually, there are specific federal regulations on the model year issue... every model year has to include January 1, but there is some flexibility on when that model year starts or stops. It can last less than a calendar year or up to 729 days.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/85.2302
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/85.2304

The new motor configurations might actually be a trigger for a new model year, but I haven't read 85.2304 in that great of detail. It seems that if there is a significant production pause for retooling, everything coming off the line going forward after restart might actually be a 2025.

Big Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Audi S5
Occupation
I do legal things
odd: my vin is 7FCTGC … but it’s a PDM

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Actually, there are specific federal regulations on the model year issue... every model year has to include January 1, but there is some flexibility on when that model year starts or stops. It can last less than a calendar year or up to 729 days.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/85.2302
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/85.2304

The new motor configurations might actually be a trigger for a new model year, but I haven't read 85.2304 in that great of detail. It seems that if there is a significant production pause for retooling, everything coming off the line going forward after restart might actually be a 2025.
BMW and MINI often change model year designation in the spring, where most other legacy manufacturers change over in the fall. Wouldn't be unheard of if Rivian changed over early, but it does seem that both Rivian and Tesla have just been doing it on the calendar year.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

odd: my vin is 7FCTGC … but it’s a PDM
Also a 2024, yes?
Rivian R1T R1S Tri-Motor and Premium Trim added to R1 VIN database 1712153430769-5

I really have to wonder if this means a C VIN could have started life as a PDM Max pack but could get reconfigured in software to a standard battery standard dual motor for a sale.

Big Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Audi S5
Occupation
I do legal things
yes! … i didn’t realize the references changed per year… that makes deciphering VINs a bit confusing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

yes! … i didn’t realize the references changed per year… that makes deciphering VINs a bit confusing.
It can also change throughout the year. This is what it was at the start of 2024:

Rivian R1T R1S Tri-Motor and Premium Trim added to R1 VIN database 1712153857455-gw