First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I understand how the R1T charging cable assembly could be damaged... but don't understand how this could then damage the Rivian Service Center's charging cable. Before we throw out all the Lectron adapters out there, I have to wonder if something else going on with this vehicle. Or was the fit between your charging cable and the connector not solid and caused a problem?

Sorry for your experience but glad to hear Rivian was responsive!
Sounds like the vehicle's charge port was damaged, so when the SC plugged the truck in to their equipment, the damaged charge port on the vehicle then damaged the SC equipment. Makes sense.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model YP, Rivian R1T (Limestone, 20" AT)
The issue is that the Lectron adaptor damaged the charging port and cable assembly in the truck and because the port was damaged, it then damaged the SC charging cable when they had it plugged in at the shop. The SC concern was that it's like "herpies" in that it starts a chain of events and spreads. The loaner R1T I have is now starting to have issues too, so we have stopped charging it (as per SC) and I'm supposed to get my R1T back today, but now I can't charge it on the Tesla WC with the Lectron adaptor for fear of damaging the truck again.

23R1TFGFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y; Rivian R1T; Vespa GTS
Clubs

Hmmm. This is concerning as this is the exact setup I use as well (Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector with Lectron adapter) as the wife drives a Model Y so the Tesla box is better for her. To date, I’ve had no issues charging the R1T but am now on notice and questioning how best to proceed…. OP: do you know which Lectron adapter you were using? Watching this thread….

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I am using the small one piece adapter claims it’s rated for 48 amps

I am ok with my adapter getting to 100 and even 110 degrees F on a warm day. Typically electrical components exceeding 120F need to be carefully examined and watched. Should never get to the point you cannot touch and leave your hand on the device due to temperature

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have the 48amp Lectron adapter from Tesla to J1772

Been using since December and no issues. I separate the adapter from the Tesla connector occasionally and no over heating of the connections visually noted

I note when charging for 5 hours or more the connector where it attached to Tesla charge cable handle gets to 100F. (Via optical thermometer) Thats when it is 80+ degrees in the garage.

Working OK for me but I am considering installing a Tesla wall connector Gen 3 with the J1772 connector built onto the cable and not using an adapter
Same for me...11 months into it, charging twice a week. (But I only charge at 40amps...(OP left out what they used for rate)). Never had a glitch, burp, or bump........I'm happy with mine. Also Lectron sells 2 or 3 diff versions of their adapter - what version did you have OP? Details matter..

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I see I'm not to only one using the TeslaTap..

I use the regular one, not the Mini, and it's UL Listed, made in the USA and rated for 40amps continuous current. I used it for over a year charging my i3 at 32amps and never any issue with it at all. Once I took delivery of my R1T in Dec I didn't want to share our tesla Wall Charger between three cars, so I re-installed my JuiceBox Pro with the J1772 connector. I no longer use the TeslaTap, but it was 100% rock solid build quality.

pickupman2022

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Fleet Support

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

You can get the Tesla Gen 3 WC with either plug. I have the J1772 version.
https://shop.tesla.com/category/charging#charging.at-home
@Stack I also am using the Tesla charger linked above w/ the J1772 cable. If you really want to have the best of everything, I would suggest installing a new/separate Tesla charger w/ the J1772. Then you could link both the Tesla chargers (assuming you are currently using a Tesla charger) to load share so you and your wife could both plug in at the end of the day and not have to worry about remembering to unplug one car when it is charged and plug in the other one.
It would not create any more load on your electrical system because the chargers would not charge simultaneously, but would only charge one at a time.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
I would reach out to Lectron and inquire with them since Rivian seems to be blaming Lectron. I would be curious if other EV’s using the Lectron adapter are experiencing the adaptor “damaging” their vehicle charge ports.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I have communicated with Lectron about adapter ratings and if the device is UL rated as there are no labels on the adapter. They are not much help

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I have had my R1T for almost six months and have been charging it using my Tesla Wall Charger with a Lectron Adapter. Life has been great until a few weeks ago when I started to get charging errors and the truck wouldn't charge. My Rivian Service Center (Kansas City) have been working on my truck and even sent a technician to my house (45 minutes away) to inspect my charging set-up. Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T! When they plugged in my truck at the SC, it fried their charging cable as a result of the bad port. Rivian is fixing the truck under warranty, but will not fix it again if I continue to use this adaptor. The Service Team has been FANTASTIC and we have been working together to figure this out, they are easily the best service I have had out of any cars I have ever owned.

Now the dilemma - buy a Rivian wall charger (might be quickest option) or sell the R1T and get another Tesla? I also have a Tesla Model Y, so if anyone has a Rivian charger with adapter charging a Tesla, I'd like to know if that works and what kind of charging speeds you get? Making the switch of chargers might work if I can get the Tesla charged effectively, but getting an electrician seems to be the short pole in the tent and there are some issues with wiring two chargers in my house that could make this venture pretty pricey, but not being able to get an electrician is the real issue at this time.

I love my R1T and the SC is awesome here in KC, but my wife and I both drive about 90 miles a day each, so charging is a must to make the EVs usable. I would appreciate anyones experience with using a Rivian wall charger on their Tesla, so we can figure out how to move forward.
So is the issue that you need to charge a Tesla and a Rivian with a single EVSE? If so, I would opt to replace your Tesla Wall Charger with a Tesla J1772 Wall Charger and use the Tesla J1772 adapter with your Tesla.

Or, even better, add a Tesla J1772 Wall Charger so that now you have two EVSEs, one for each car. LMK if you want to go this route, there are plenty of options for load sharing, etc.

What generation is you Tesla Wall Charger?

And of of curiosity, what specific model of Lectron adapter did you use, the 40A or 48A version? And what amperage charge rate were you charging at?

In the meantime, you can use the Rivian portable charger with a 120V receptacle to charge your Rivian. Just leave it plugged in all the time.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The Tesla does have an adapter and this is would probably be the easiest, but not sure what the charging speeds would be. The Tesla WC will do 44 mph on the Model Y and with two EVs, we definitely need the best charging we can get. I'll definitely look into the Emporia. Thanks!
I have the Emporia charger and charge our Model S with it with with no issues. Have the Tesla adapter that came with the car and also a Lectron J1772 to Tesla adapter that I have used. I will say that I have free Tesla Supercharging though so do not charge at home very often.

I have the 48 amp Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter as well and used it a couple of times for the R1S when I was on a trip but do not regularly use it just keep it as a backup in a pinch.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The friction? Like it's physically hard to push into the truck? Or are you thinking the electrical resistance?
It's not unheard of for pins on cheaper adapters and chargers to not be sized properly or to have materials that cause deformation when used. Copper can only bend so far before the bend becomes permanent.