Sponsored

People who've had issues with R1S - did you buy from the shop?

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
I have a friend who bought a Quad from the shop and another that he knows who did similar. One had issues with software that didn't go away with a 'hard reset' another had some noise issues from the dash (I think). I don't know what vins they have but they picked it up in late spring/summer this year.

Is that the norm though for shop? I know there's more than one reason for shop inventory but wondered if people have generally seen such correlation. Maybe there's a different QC process they have or something.

I recently got shop access but I'm happy to wait a few months anyway. Likely going for a DM Performance with Full battery pack.

Thanks for your inputs!

PS: Gearing up for a purchase, I have a few questions for the forum. Coming soon...
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It is normal for Rivian. Here is my experience:
  1. Assume you are going to have to bring the vehicle in for post-delivery service issues.
  2. As soon as the first issue reveals itself, put in a service request and get scheduled.
  3. Assuming it is minor (probably will be) your service schedule will be 30+ days out.
  4. Keep a list of service issues as you discover them and call Rivian to add on the new issues as they arise.
  5. By the time your service date comes up you will have found all the post-delivery gremlins and they can fix those in one (long) service visit.
I do not think it has anything to do with shop vs direct order.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
I did buy from the shop but no real issues. Nothing unlike I've had with almost every other vehicle I've bought. It was all little things. Dented speaker grill, bass rattle, window trim, etc.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
100% there are rejected vehicles in the shop (not all) that are then passed on to the next individual who may not balk at a few issues here and there.

Sponsored

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Selected an R1S Quad from the shop. At the risk of jinxing things, ~2.5 months and ~1,200mi later, no significant issues. Had one interior trim piece defect addressed with mobile service last month.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Vehicles in the shop are sold as new vehicles, not used rejects. There are likely some that were rejected purchases for various reasons. They’re all warrantied so no real concerns. It’s standard practice (for Rivian) to steer buyers to the shop to help Rivian scale their production and delivery.

Riv_Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S from the shop. About 4 months and ~3k miles in and no issues. Knock on wood. . .

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
If you drive past any car dealership (because you'd never really want to stop by) you'll see rows and rows of vehicles in the lots. The R1 Shop really isn't much different - except it's online.

Typically it's more efficient to run production in batches than eaches so if they have 12 orders for a config and run a hypothetical minimum batch size of 20 that implies that the other 8 vehicles may head to the shop or be offered up to those in line with similar configs by Guides.

Are some rejects? I'm sure. But there are also rejected deliveries in dealer lots across America as there have been for decades.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Bought ours from the shop and it's never been back to Rivian.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Got my R1S from the shop. Zero issues. Have about 2500 miles on it.

[Knocks on wood]

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Likely no correlation. I wouldn't be concerned at all of a shop truck vs a built to spec truck.

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Same here, switched to Shop when Rivian confirmed my Compass Yellow pre-ordered with Forest Green interior was not gonna happen & picked one with black interior. No major issues yet. No trips to SC & it's almost 4 months old with 7.2k miles young. I Luv my 'Tarkus' :clap:
Rivian R1T R1S People who've had issues with R1S - did you buy from the shop? 20231119_111730

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
R1T was purchased via an order and it had a numbers of issues (failed battery pack, failed rear drive unit plus a few minor issues.). Service was awesome and resolved everything then the truck was solid.

R1S was purchased through the shop 14 months after the R1T. Zero issues in the 4 months I owned it. Fit and finish were perfect compared to the truck.
Sponsored