Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just went out for the first time since doing the update. PaaK is hugely improved IMO. Rivian needs to stop right there. It’s pretty much perfect at this point.
Nah, it's too sensitive and the truck wakes too much unnecessarily.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
Out of curiosity, how did you quantify the 80%?
It is my internal happiness quotient. Nothing more or less. No more looking foolish waiting.

I was surprised how different it acted. If that comes at the expense of vampire drain so be it (at least for me).

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
Works much better, but still hit or miss when approaching from the back. It locked on me a few times when I was standing at the tailgate. Still needs improvement, but yes it’s much better.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This wouldn’t surprise me because I noticed today that my truck acknowledges my presence (taillight flash when it first detects me phone) much further away than I’ve noticed before.

With that said, I haven’t had any issues at home with my attached garage. I’m just happy to have the improvements because I was having a lot of trouble after upgrading to the newest iPhone.
Yup...went out tonight and walking back to the truck the lights flashed (it woke up) probably 150-200 ft away. Caught me off guard because it seemed much further away than it should've woken up.

And yes, for the most part in the garage it seems okay, but at work it's constantly waking up or locking/unlocking. At least at home I can now do the Lock Only mode. Maybe we'll get the ability to define more "home" locations at some point.

Reactions: Leo

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

now if they could only fix the responsiveness of the key fob.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Well my FOB has been doing pretty well with proximity unlocking for a while now. Phone hasn't been a functional PAAK since I was forced to "upgrade" to a Pixel 7A by Rivian/Android. Just installed the update last night, and the app immediately told me it now needs to be paired with the truck to use as a key......again. Been through that pair/unpair, uninstall/reinstall cycle too many times to count. Every time it's the same thing. Have to put it in and out of airplane mode for the truck to see it as a PAAK. I'll probably go through the pair/unpair a few more times today and see, but if this update didn't fix it then guess it's time to finally bug them with a trouble ticket. Truthfully, the FOB works so good though, not actually having a PAAK hasn't bothered me nearly as much as just knowing it doesn't work.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I can confirm that my PAAK delays went away and the R1T did not have a single issue with PAAK after the latest OTA.

I also do not have a problem with closing charging port after L2 charging is finished (as I had before - it was not working unless I wake the car),

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
So the forums will just oscillate indefinitely between whining over vampire drain and PAAK. Swell. Make it fun and time the drain around and through October—when Gary turns into a vampire.

Last edited:
OP
OP

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
After thinking about it, I wish you could set it so the phone unlocks car at home if the signal is very strong only (like you walk up to the drivers door intentionally). To me, that would be the best.

Also I just comically realized that a locked truck means the charging cable is also locked on. I pulled and pulled and became concerned and then realized that I turned off the PaaK unlock at home so it was locked and I had to manually lock.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Opal (R1T) does not yet have the 42.1 update. She has always been very fickle when it comes to her reaction to the PAAK. SuEllyn and I both have Samsung Note 20 phones. Sometimes Opal will open when we enter the garage from the house. Other times we have to walk right up and almost touch her before she reacts. We are hoping that 42.1 will make her more consistent.

Brian

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
After thinking about it, I wish you could set it so the phone unlocks car at home if the signal is very strong only (like you walk up to the drivers door intentionally). To me, that would be the best.

Also I just comically realized that a locked truck means the charging cable is also locked on. I pulled and pulled and became concerned and then realized that I turned off the PaaK unlock at home so it was locked and I had to manually lock.
If the charge has completed, it will automatically unlock the cable as well. Even if the truck is locked.

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

PAAK seems better.

I use Apple music. Doesn't seem to link up as well. Previously, once PAAK was working, I could push the left steering wheel knob and my music would pick up where I left off. Even a day later.

Now, PAAK works better, but music seem to require I hit play on the media screen or on my phone.

1st world problems

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
I also feel PAAK is more responsive on this latest update. Occasionally I still have to take out my phone and click the home key, but it unlocks almost instantaneously (probably just needed to wait a couple more seconds).

However, one downside is I do see there is significantly higher phone battery drain now. Not sure it's related to this update. I checked the 7-day daily battery history, and it used to be around 1.5-2% until the update, and is now showing 5-7.5%.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Honestly, I would be happier if it didn't unlock at all, and I had to actually touch to door, or even knock on the window to initiate the unlock. I had to turn off auto lock at home because I'm constantly walking past the car when it's in the drive way and I'm working in the garage. And then when we go inside for the night it inevitably stays unlocked.

Yes, the car locking when I walk away from it is a somewhat nice feature (tough I still check every time I walk away), but I don't want it to auto unlock just because I walked up to it. At the same time I definitely don't want to have to bring out my phone or key. This is something every other car brand has figured out in the door handle, so let's just Keep It Simple Stupid, and not try to be like Tesla and be overly flashy if it's not needed.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I see that in the latest update you can set it to only Auto Lock at home. That's great news! Now if only it would unlock from the door handle or knocking on the window, some sort of input from me without actually taking my phone/key out. (Progress!)
Sponsored