Attachments

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Hardwired only (likely to meet NEC requirements)

As a plug-in, it would not meet the requirement prohibiting adjustable amperages, and is not set up for tool free removal (also required).

They did comply with the requirement for restricted access to the amperage settings (dip switches in this case).

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting that they suggest 6 awg wire is sufficient for the full 60A circuit setting, I guess since it only pulls 48A that is ok? I was under the impression that a 60A circuit would need 4 awg wiring.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
How easy would it be to replace a Tesla Wall Charger (hardwired) with one of these guys? For someone who typically doesn't mess with electricity.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
How easy would it be to replace a Tesla Wall Charger (hardwired) with one of these guys? For someone who typically doesn't mess with electricity.
easy peezy as long as you know how to turn off your circuit breaker.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
easy peezy as long as you know how to turn off your circuit breaker.
Now THAT I can do! I read the guide (honestly, Rivian could publish just about any piece of information and I'd read it) and it looked.... very easy. Just wanted to make sure it was as easy as it looked. Thank you!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not difficult but if you are not familiar with doing electrical fixtures may not want to start here.

With the amount of amps being pulled if the wires are not seated and torqued properly they could generate excessive heat. You also have to look at the wires and breakers installed to ensure you set the dip switches for the proper draw.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Interesting that they suggest 6 awg wire is sufficient for the full 60A circuit setting, I guess since it only pulls 48A that is ok? I was under the impression that a 60A circuit would need 4 awg wiring.
6 awg is fine as long as it is 90° rated
If thinking of using NM-B (Romex), it is not OK as it requires using the 60° column/rating

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Not difficult but if you are not familiar with doing electrical fixtures may not want to start here.

With the amount of amps being pulled if the wires are not seated and torqued properly they could generate excessive heat. You also have to look at the wires and breakers installed to ensure you set the dip switches for the proper draw.
It's a 60A breaker so I believe I'd be leaving it at the default settings on the dip switches.

The torque part, I had planned on "okay, that feels tight enough" but your comment is making me think that is not going to cut it. My wife said "get whatever you need" ... until we saw the prices on those guys. Sheesh. No wonder I don't own one!

Thanks for your reply—very helpful.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I thought their charger was Nema 14-50 or Hardwired. These docs say hardwired only or am I wrong? That sucks

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I thought their charger was Nema 14-50 or Hardwired. These docs say hardwired only or am I wrong? That sucks
The portable one that comes with the vehicle will be plug and cord. The wall charger will be hardwire.

Amy

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 E-Tron Sportback
Like said before, do not start here. High Amps can be a major fire hazard if you don't tighten thing down and strip wires wrong.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
simply apply money - call an electrician!

Ssaehrig

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Durango SRT, 2013 GMC Acadia
Occupation
IT Executive
I am going with the higher capacity wire. No need to stress the wiring.
Sponsored