Consultant
Got the plate from DMV
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I just received my weighted plate and registration in the mail from Rivian. I was hoping to be able to transfer my old plate (its a personalized plate) to the Rivian but it is obviously not weighted. Any insight on transferring a non weighted plate to the Rivian? I'm at a loss for what I need to show up with / do in order to make it happen. It doesnt help that on the registration they list the R1T as weighing 9000#.
AFAIK, you can't. It's some weird limitation in the NC DMV system.

The weird part is that you CAN order a NEW personalized plate, which will be mailed to you without the "weighted" text... But for some reason they can't convert a previously-issued non-weighted plate to "weighted" in their system.

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
So why are you guys required to get weighted plates? Is the R1T heavier than the R1S?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So why are you guys required to get weighted plates? Is the R1T heavier than the R1S?
Weighted tag rule applies to "Truck" but not "SUV".

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

AFAIK, you can't. It's some weird limitation in the NC DMV system.

The weird part is that you CAN order a NEW personalized plate, which will be mailed to you without the "weighted" text... But for some reason they can't convert a previously-issued non-weighted plate to "weighted" in their system.
Interesting. I have an NC State plate, so I wonder if the same thing applies. It sounds like I just need to bring in every document I can think of and give it a shot and see what happens.

Sponsored

cliffy3400

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi all, perhaps a bit of an odd request but we have a R1S pre-order that's ready for delivery but prior to taking delivery my wife wants to at least sit in the vehicle. The challenge is with the SC being in Richmond there aren't any options to do so easily local to us. Is there a meet up in the area that happens or even someone that would be willing to meet up with us in the Raleigh area so that she would have a chance to sit in and get a feel for the vehicle? Also apologies if this isn't the correct thread, I can start a new one if more appropriate.

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

I just received my weighted plate in the mail with registration from Rivian. I went down to ATL SC on 5-2-23 to pickup my R1T (Raven) This means it took them 14 days to get everything to me. VERY happy I didn't have to deal with going to the DMV like others had to do.

Already working out of the truck and LOVE it.

Ken~

Rivian R1T R1S North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans Rave

Rivian R1T R1S North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans raven-2

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I just received my weighted plate in the mail with registration from Rivian. I went down to ATL SC on 5-2-23 to pickup my R1T (Raven) This means it took them 14 days to get everything to me. VERY happy I didn't have to deal with going to the DMV like others had to do.

Already working out of the truck and LOVE it.

Ken~

Raven.png

raven-2.png
Went to the DMV Monday to transfer my old plate over. I also received a weighted tag from Rivian in the mail about a week ago. Disappointed Rivian didn't transfer my plate considering that's what I indicated every step of the way when they asked about titling and registration. Oh well, a few minutes at the DMV and it was taken care of.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
A reminder about NC weighted plates. Yes, it applies to trucks and not SUVs as I understand it. They key is you should not just accept the GVW weight for an R1T if you plan on pulling a utility trailer, boat trailer, horse trailer, etc. You need to license additional “weight” as the combined weight of the truck and trailer is what you need. I have mine licensed for 15,000 pounds to cover my boat and truck. It’s extreme unlikely that I’ll be stopped as I don’t live far from the boat ramp, but the fines are large if you are weighed and do not have the plate weight to accommodate.

One last thing…when I researched this in 2015, it was my understanding that a camper trailer did not count for weight, but a boat trailer did, due to the camper industry having better lobbyists. You should do your own research and make your risk calculation.

-Joel

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
A reminder about NC weighted plates. Yes, it applies to trucks and not SUVs as I understand it. They key is you should not just accept the GVW weight for an R1T if you plan on pulling a utility trailer, boat trailer, horse trailer, etc. You need to license additional “weight” as the combined weight of the truck and trailer is what you need. I have mine licensed for 15,000 pounds to cover my boat and truck. It’s extreme unlikely that I’ll be stopped as I don’t live far from the boat ramp, but the fines are large if you are weighed and do not have the plate weight to accommodate.

One last thing…when I researched this in 2015, it was my understanding that a camper trailer did not count for weight, but a boat trailer did, due to the camper industry having better lobbyists. You should do your own research and make your risk calculation.

-Joel
Can you not just get a regular plate for the R1T? If not, how did you go about licensing additional weight? Does Rivian just automatically register the vehicle as weighted or are there restrictions in place? I tow a boat from Raleigh to Wilmington pretty frequently.

*edit* so after some googling it looks like I would be required to purchase a weighted tag since my boat/trailer combo comes in at 3000lbs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Can you not just get a regular plate for the R1T? If not, how did you go about licensing additional weight? Does Rivian just automatically register the vehicle as weighted or are there restrictions in place? I tow a boat from Raleigh to Wilmington pretty frequently.

*edit* so after some googling it looks like I would be required to purchase a weighted tag since my boat/trailer combo comes in at 3000lbs.
Looks like you got the answer! My boat (whaler 235 conquest)/motor/trailer/fuel/gear is about 7000 pounds, hence the 15,000 pounds. Sounds like you’d want 11,000 (unless you are shopping for a bigger boat 😜). The Rivian itself needs a weighted plate based on curb weight and capacity w/o a trailer…

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Looks like you got the answer! My boat (whaler 235 conquest)/motor/trailer/fuel/gear is about 7000 pounds, hence the 15,000 pounds. Sounds like you’d want 11,000 (unless you are shopping for a bigger boat 😜). The Rivian itself needs a weighted plate based on curb weight and capacity w/o a trailer…
…and I didn’t answer the “how” and that is tell the DMV person how much weight you need…

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

Trying to secure financing and my lender requires an NC Odometer disclosure statement since Rivian is out of state. Anyone else encounter that and able to get Rivian to sign it? My guide was at a loss and said she would get back to me

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

I went through BofA online and had zero issues. Just had to upload the Purchase Agreement from Rivian which will show 100 miles for the ODO. This is typical for most car purchases I have done. The Purchase Agreement should have everything you need to secure a loan. I do know BofA online didn't have Rivian as an option for a dealer, so I just had to manually input it, but still no issues.

Thanks,

Ken~

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Trying to secure financing and my lender requires an NC Odometer disclosure statement since Rivian is out of state. Anyone else encounter that and able to get Rivian to sign it? My guide was at a loss and said she would get back to me
South Eastern only required the purchase agreement because it has all pertinent information. Including the odometer reading if I remember correctly.
Sponsored