Sponsored

North Carolina (Raleigh) Rivian Fans

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Should have also mentioned the title fee in addition to the tax. I paid that to both Rivian and DOT, but again Rivian says they will reimburse. I have no doubt that they will, but they do tend to move at a glacial pace. Prior to your delivery, Rivian will send you a sales contract with all of the costs broken out. Had I known that DOT would also collect the tax and title fee, I would have complained to Rivian when I got my contract. I’m confident it will not be an issue for you because it only creates more work for Rivian if they have to reimburse you. I read somewhere that someone in NC said that the DOT wanted the Certificate of Origin notarized by Rivian. It was not required by DOT when I went. I was expecting the worst, but other than coming out $3K poorer, my visit went very smoothly.

No issues with ownership so far. The truck is amazing and I still look forward to driving it each day. Great driving truck and the tech is amazing.
Hate to say it, but just got my tag today together with a bill, so it looks like they haven't sorted through that aspect of the process yet. I'll shoot a quick note to my guide to get the refund ball rolling. Have you received yours yet and do you have any tips to speed up the process?
Thanks
Sponsored

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
@kmusk01 You're in NC, like me and taking delivery next month (or sooner) and I still literally still have no delivery window. I fired off an email to "customer service". As a 2 1/2 year reservation holder this whole Rivian expereince has been incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
@kmusk01 You're in NC, like me and taking delivery next month (or sooner) and I still literally still have no delivery window. I fired off an email to "customer service". As a 2 1/2 year reservation holder this whole Rivian expereince has been incredibly frustrating and disappointing.
They are a startup. It goes with the territory, they are not going to perform as well as a decades old local dealer, or perhaps even as well as Telsa.

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
They are a startup. It goes with the territory, they are not going to perform as well as a decades old local dealer, or perhaps even as well as Telsa.
I can appreciate that, but why does my brother in SC with an R1S ordered a year later than me have a delivery date? I am literally 8 miles from the SC border. IF they are so simplistic in their order priority as to only look at the state name and completely ignore actual geography and time on the list (the one item that should be trumping most everything else) they're likely to fail at a lot of other things.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I can appreciate that, but why does my brother in SC with an R1S ordered a year later than me have a delivery date? I am literally 8 miles from the SC border. IF they are so simplistic in their order priority as to only look at the state name and completely ignore actual geography and time on the list (the one item that should be trumping most everything else) they're likely to fail at a lot of other things.
It could be Rivian randomly screwing up, but it could also be details about your order vs. his. 8 miles from the border isn't really a factor. How far are you from the closest Service Center and is it the same one as your brother, or a different one? How backlogged is your closest SC? What is your configuration and does it contain constrained items? Did you change your configuration once or more, thereby possibly pushing yourself back in the que?

Sponsored

kmusk01

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Clubs

I am actually not doing delivery but picking my R1T up. I told me Guide that from day 1 that I want to pick it up from the ATL SC.

I actually am picking the Rivian up this Tuesday at 11:15am :). Very excited and nervous!

I am 3.5hrs from the ATL SC, but I go to ATL a few times a year for work and this SC is on the way. Figure if I need service will try to time it when I am going for work and drop off on the way. They will give me a rental if needed and not just Uber credits.

I am sure if you told your guide you want pick up you might get the Rivian sooner.

Ken~

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Consider y'all lucky to see a mobile tech. Talked with Rivian Service a couple of times re Recall and other outstanding issues and they are still "assessing" whether a mobile trip is possible... Best they could do is schedule a "May" SC visit to Richmond. How did y'all get them to come to Raleigh for the recall? Rivian seems to be slow playing me and insisting to take it to Richmond for everything and not send a mobile tech for those items they can fix mobile.

Ive already taken days off work to go to Richmond before and when I got the truck back only apprx 1/2 the issues were fixed. So, not so confident Richmond SC trip is worth all the time, hassle, missed work, and expense if they dont fix the truck.
Steering wheel vibration has gotten worse, wind noise now sounds like gale force winds at anything over 50mph. from both driver and passenger side windows, tailgate sticks and doesn't lower without help, and Tune In has started to glitch. More stuff on the list, and still waiting on the T Cover.
I am in Cary. Took delivery 12/27...7 days after buying from the R1 Shop. I have about 8-10 punch list items I accumulated before scheduling service. They originally set it up for mobile, but then called me the day before asking me to take it to Richmond SC. I declined and told them since they changed it, they had to come pick it up and return it. He had to talk to a manger and get back to me. Less than an hour later, I got a call back and they agreed to flatbed the truck to Richmond and Flatbed it back to me. I had the truck back 3 days later and declined the rental as I have other vehicles. My experience I really couldn't ask much more of. They look care of it. Even got them to install the spare tire I had to give up from the R1 Shop.

I have other items I am going to wait on, but not sure they are mobile items (the common panel gap at the hood mainly) but honestly, doesn't bother me enough to drive it to Richmond.

I am the white one driving around Cary and Brier Creek. Live off Carpenter Fire Station Road.

Djh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIS
Got my R1S two weeks ago. Everything and more than expected. Picked it up in Richmond from NC. Ordered 9/20. Was going to cancel. Held out and got it quicker than expected. Hold in there NC folks - worth it

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Update: Mobile service came, handled the recall item(s), fixed a couple things, and Found some NEW issue that I didnt realize was an issue. The new item added to the list for the SC visit later this month (may). The mobile tech was very knowledgeable and during our test drive, he verfied the wind noise from both front triangle windows was tremendously too loud and upon inspecting them after the ride, that the seals are not correct.
New windows and seals on order at Richmond, so still drving around in a wind tunnel since September and hopefully Richmond's 2nd attempt to fix it will be successful.
Update: Steering wheel vibration that Richmond SC wasnt able to fix last fall....Discount tire, Cary, tire rotation and balance, got it. One tire was way out of balance. Steering wheel shake & vibration gone! Again, doesn't give me great confidence in the Richmond SC.....

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

My frustration mainly comes from knowing that deliveries are happening, especially in my area (NW Raleigh), and yet Rivian is unable or unwilling to give timelines so the rest of us can plan ahead. I struggle with the cognitive dissonance of saying "we don't know when we'll be able to service and, accordingly, deliver vehicles in your area" while simultaneously selling and delivering vehicles to North Carolinians.
That was also my frustration. I never ever received an update on when my vehicle would come. It went straight from "Processing Estimate" to an email saying my vehicle would be here in 7 days and I would need to a) have the entire 8 steps completed by then, and b) need to take off work for the day they told me and then drive to Richmond to pick up my vehicle when I had been expecting delivery the entire time. The only inkling of an estimate was when I was assigned a guide, I asked enough times for a delivery window that she finally told me July-September of 2023.
I politely told them there is no way to have the entire 8 steps completed when I had not even started the conversations for financing and insurance. I also told them I was expecting delivery and they instantly changed it to delivery with no second thought.

Definitely worth the wait though.

Sponsored

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Update: Mobile service came, handled the recall item(s), fixed a couple things, and Found some NEW issue that I didnt realize was an issue. The new item added to the list for the SC visit later this month (may). The mobile tech was very knowledgeable and during our test drive, he verfied the wind noise from both front triangle windows was tremendously too loud and upon inspecting them after the ride, that the seals are not correct.
New windows and seals on order at Richmond, so still drving around in a wind tunnel since September and hopefully Richmond's 2nd attempt to fix it will be successful.
Update: Steering wheel vibration that Richmond SC wasnt able to fix last fall....Discount tire, Cary, tire rotation and balance, got it. One tire was way out of balance. Steering wheel shake & vibration gone! Again, doesn't give me great confidence in the Richmond SC.....
Question - are you happy with Discount Tire in Cary's work? How much for the rotation? Do I need to bring pucks, or do they have them? Need to schedule my first rotation, mobile service is $60 and who knows when can be scheduled - Discount Tire sounds like a better option.

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Question - are you happy with Discount Tire in Cary's work? How much for the rotation? Do I need to bring pucks, or do they have them? Need to schedule my first rotation, mobile service is $60 and who knows when can be scheduled - Discount Tire sounds like a better option.
Yes, Happy with Discount Tire @ High hose & hwy55. Been going there for several years, and they have been fair and honest. bring pucks, DT doesnt have a set. My rotation and balance was no cost, but I believe this is because I purchased a new tire from them for the R1T when I got a nail through the sidewall.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I took delivery at the Richmond SC. Definitely think it sped up my delivery time. If you take delivery at the SC, you will still be hit with the $1800 destination fee. High, but I don’t think unreasonably so among dealers today. I doubt the SC would be able to fix any issue you saw before delivery at the SC. They would probably want to schedule an appointment. I have heard their backlogs are now up to 6-8 weeks (depending on the SC). No need for weighed plates. But the registration process was not clear to me and I had to learn on the fly. You will need to take the documents Rivian gives to you to a NC License Plate office. I cant remember what the specific doc is called that the DOT needs but its something like the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin. Go to the NC DOT website. They have a list of what you will need. No need to get a safety inspection forehand. But the DOT will make you pay the 3% tax, which I had also paid to Rivian. Rivian says that they will reimburse me for that, but its been about 2 months and I haven’t seen it yet. So maybe you should refuse to pay the tax to Rivian and see what happens.

Oh, and meant to mention. You are going to love the truck. Best vehicle I have ever owned, even with a few issues typical of first gen cars (a few panels not totally flush, occasional software issue, etc.). All very tolerable.
I just received my weighted plate and registration in the mail from Rivian. I was hoping to be able to transfer my old plate (its a personalized plate) to the Rivian but it is obviously not weighted. Any insight on transferring a non weighted plate to the Rivian? I'm at a loss for what I need to show up with / do in order to make it happen. It doesnt help that on the registration they list the R1T as weighing 9000#.

dekeen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Occupation
Consultant
No sorry. My plate is not weighted.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

No sorry. My plate is not weighted.
Did you receive a non-weighted plate from Rivian? Or did you not receive a plate at all from Rivian and had to go apply for your own?
Sponsored