Sponsored

Question for all N. Carolina Rivian owners ...

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
  • Banned
Hi all,

It looks like I'm moving to Charlotte next year. I understand that dumb state laws have prohibited Rivian from selling directly in NC (and other states) but I also gather that there are Rivians on the roads there.

My question is: what do you do about servicing?

I really don't fancy a 5hr drive one way to Atlanta or Richmond, even less pay the extortionate amount to have the R1 towed there. Have you guys heard anything from Rivian about a future SC in the state? Has anyone offered a local politician a bag of cash in reward for getting the laws overturned?

I really don't want to have to sell my R1 just because the fine City of Charlotte is the Bermuda Triangle of Rivians.

Cheers.
Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Richmond, Atlanta, or mobile service are your options. I keep thinking Rivian will make a deal with the Cherokee Nation for a location there.

ChiefBushWookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Military
Clubs

What Bolt said…. I’m in NC, but ”only” 117 mi. From the Richmond SC, which is manageable. Not sure what I’d do if it was much further. Branden Flasch (@branden) has done the trip from Charlotte to the Atlanta SC with a couple of vids on YT with his experience. Though he makes it look relaxing. I’m sure I’d be more stressed.

goarmy

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,

It looks like I'm moving to Charlotte next year. I understand that dumb state laws have prohibited Rivian from selling directly in NC (and other states) but I also gather that there are Rivians on the roads there.

I really don't fancy a 5hr drive one way to Atlanta or Richmond, even less pay the extortionate amount to have the R1 towed there. Have you guys heard anything from Rivian about a future SC in the state? Has anyone offered a local politician a bag of cash in reward for getting the laws overturned?

I really don't want to have to sell my R1 just because the fine City of Charlotte is the Bermuda Triangle of Rivians.

Cheers.
I am 200 miles from the Richmond SC and have had my R1T since August of 2022. Anything I have needed done to this point has been covered through Mobile Service (Recalls, Tire Rotation). The mobile service techs are excellent. I do have an SC appointment in October for a few small warrantee items and maybe a gen 2 powered tonneaux cover if it's available - mine still works but I don't trust it. I understand that if I have a major issue and need the SC it will be a hassle given the distance. Good luck with the move.

gvtucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi all,

Mostly, just hope something doesn't need servicing.

I am about 160 miles away from the Richmond SC. Fortunately, I haven't needed anything thus far, since I went up to Richmond to pick up the R1T this past January.

For a tire rotation, my local Discount Tire did just fine.

Sponsored

NathanM

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2013 4Runner
Clubs

I'm in Raleigh and have had a mobile service (which was fantastic, those guys are sharp) and also been to the service center in Richmond (1.5hr drive). Although my work was simple, the service center had to keep it many days just because of their backlog, so they paid for an Enterprise Rental car and I drove that back to Raleigh and kept it for a week before I could get back up to Richmond. So, if you can work on the road and plan around it, driving to/from service center is not impossible.

Most importantly (and I don't know if this is happening for sure), I was told that they're hiring some permanent NC residents to serve as mobile technicians and improve availability. Today, they are based out of surrounding service centers and go on 1-2 week loops throughout. This change would add a lot of availability for mobile service.

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

I am in Brevard, about 2.5 hours from Charlotte. So far mobile service has been great. I have had 2 different techs, one out of Atlanta and one that said he has SC and NC areas to cover and that he was out of Charleston,SC. I have had mine since 8/22 and had 2 recalls and a passenger window issue. Basically a stress free and enjoyable R1T to this point.

OP
OP
SDH

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
  • Banned
Thanks y'all. Really appreciate the replies. My conclusion is hope that mobile service can cover you (was told by Rivian that mobile service has a 200 mile radius from SC so that seems to rule Charlotte out) or hope that Rivian can strike a deal like Tesla did.

Hmmm.... I never make a plan based on hope.

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Hi all,

Cheers.
Good Evening,

Rivian has hired a local tech out of Raleigh to be a Mobile Tech. I met him last week during my first and only mobile service so far. During this visit, they fixed the hood that was not auto closing, adjusted some body panels, replaced a piece of weather stripping. Their mobile van is outfitted to do alot more work that the SC wants you to believe. They have a tire mount and balance machine in the van, an array of miscellaneous parts, weather stripping, tools...etc.

This visit was for my newest R1T that I got in June....a 23 El Cap, LE. Vin 19xxx.

When I received my first R1T in Dec 2022, 22 Glacier, AE. Vin 15xxx, I had some punch items from home delivery. They originally scheduled a mobile service then decided the day before they wanted it in Richmond. The sent a flatbed to pick it up and delivered it back to me 3 days later. Their decision and I could not have asked for better customer service. This truck now lives at our place in the Fort Myers, FL area.

Having mobile tech based in Raleigh will increase the appt turn around a lot.

I heard they are also working on a certified body shop in Raleigh somewhere to come on line in the new few months. A place I can't remember the name of at the moment.

I personally have started talking to Rivian about becoming a certified windshield installer, body shop and contracted work bay for the mobile tech to use. VERY beginning stages of these discussions, but this would help get windshield replacements more convenient to the Carolinas. If the calibration machine can be transported, we are looking to add this as a mobile service....waiting on the specs.

I have helped a few people in Raleigh install EV1 Running Boards already and that has gone really well....so looking to expand to other Rivian Certified items to help the community.

Good luck with your move....keep the R1.

Scott

OP
OP
SDH

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Scott,

That's mega news. Thanks so much for sharing that. That's a big relief.

I can't help thinking that Charlotte being a decent sized City, pretty affluent, should be an ideal market for Rivian so hopefully Rivian presence will only improve over time.

Made my Friday! Thank you, Sir.

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all,

I live in South Carolina, but just a few miles south of charlotte. My truck has been to the Atlanta service center 3 times. Each time I've needed to get the A/C fixed, along with different other stuff, alignment, fast charging stopped working once. 250 miles each way,so its a full day round trip to take it in and then a full day going to get it to pick.

The service center experience has been brutal. Poor to no to completely inaccurate communication. Promised call backs with actual accurate info often never happen Poor scheduling. Lack of parts. Stuff doesn't get fixed correctly. My A/C already needs to be fixed again, for the 4th time. You can't call the SC to talk to anyone, you have to call the main number, and they arrange for someone to call you. My truck was in the service center 30 days in the frst 13 months of ownership. Would have been 30 days in first 12 months, but had to wait for an appointment the last time.

I've had two recalls fixed by a service tech coming to my house, which has gone well. they showed up on time, were polite, and good to deal with. Knowing I need to take my truck to the SC again to get the A/C fixed feels like someone is scraping their fingernails down a blackboard. Sigh.........

There is an approved body shop in Hickory, NC. I was going to get an alignment done there last year, but my A/C failed at the same time, so I took it to the SC instead. Got info on getting a parking lot scrape on my passenger rear side panel behind the wheel. Said they would need to get the truck for at least a month to repair, but I think that is partly a function of how Rivian's were designed.

Last edited:

groovyone789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5
Anyone local in the Charlotte area who wouldn’t mind showing me their R1S? I’m able to confirm my order and want to check it out closer before I lock it in. Having second thoughts with my X5.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi all,

Cheers.
Just took my R1T to Richmond for the Comprehensive service - they were great, by the way. Service manager there told me that Rivian has plans to open service center in Charlotte (very soon) with Raleigh and Greensboro service centers being planned. He said Rivian has gotten over the state legal hurdles and have supposedly picked out an area for center in Raleigh - not a building but an area. I let him know that this was huge news for me and all of my Rivian buddies in NC - and is a key factor for me about buying an R2S.

OP
OP
SDH

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Just took my R1T to Richmond for the Comprehensive service - they were great, by the way. Service manager there told me that Rivian has plans to open service center in Charlotte (very soon) with Raleigh and Greensboro service centers being planned. He said Rivian has gotten over the state legal hurdles and have supposedly picked out an area for center in Raleigh - not a building but an area. I let him know that this was huge news for me and all of my Rivian buddies in NC - and is a key factor for me about buying an R2S.
Sweet. That's great intel. Thanks.

btw ... I was in Charlotte earlier this year and pleasantly surprised by the number of Rivians I saw.

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Like said above. "hope nothing goes wrong" Its a pain. Had a few mobile service visits. I think 3-4 mobile service visits. The first the tech was 7+ hours late. But every update was "30 min away" That was a fun day to waste. Another Tech was the 3-4 hours late. The seatbelt recall was easy. He was on time.
* I hate to deal with Rivian service. As you know the truck is incredible, It just feels like Rivian expects everything to happen on their schedule. I don't think they understand work and life and why I can't base my life on their wants.
Sponsored