First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Adventurer
I still think there maybe two different versions going forward....

The cobble things together and limp existing thru warranty period for OG covers.

Then a more extensive redesign for new builds.

Maybe they took all that time for the redesign but then decided it would be way too expensive to retrofit to all the existing fleet and instead just are trying to fix the biggest sources of failure on the OG units.

Complete speculation on my part....but seems plausible.
Insightful. I think you may have nailed the approach to the fix on the power tonneau covers!
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Insightful. I think you may have nailed the approach to the fix on the power tonneau covers!
Plausible for sure. Even if the OG are the complete redesign, it sure would be nice if Rivian would add extended warranties to all OG to say something like 8 years or 120k....since many have lived without their paid for option and lived without it for half the warranty period or more. Plus it would show confidence in their fix....if they will stand behind it with the longer warranty.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I wish Rivian or an aftermarket vendor would create a manual roll up style cover that fits into the are allowed for the slats to sit. If it used the channels for the PTC and had notches along the channel that allowed for partial closing, that would be my ideal solution. It seems like the compartment where the slats fit is more than adequate for that type of mechanism.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
So I had my electric tonneau replaced today at the Phoenix SC. According to the work order it took 2.8 hours. I truly notice no difference whatsoever. In fact it could be noisier. I asked the tech what was actually replaced and he said only the slats and the spring inside the box above the gear tunnel. No new motor, no new rod, no new gears. I am crossing my fingers that this fix does the trick. I truly have my doubts. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.
My thoughts exactly. Disappointed.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I wish Rivian or an aftermarket vendor would create a manual roll up style cover that fits into the are allowed for the slats to sit. If it used the channels for the PTC and had notches along the channel that allowed for partial closing, that would be my ideal solution. It seems like the compartment where the slats fit is more than adequate for that type of mechanism.
That’s exactly what they should have done. Both the powered and manual should have been able to roll into the area where currently only the powered goes. They could have then up charged for those who wanted powered. So basically same design, similar convenience.

It’s confounding how they engineered such an incredible vehicle but they can’t design and execute on a simple tonneau.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That’s exactly what they should have done. Both the powered and manual should have been able to roll into the area where currently only the powered goes. They could have then up charged for those who wanted powered. So basically same design, similar convenience.

It’s confounding how they engineered such an incredible vehicle but they can’t design and execute on a simple tonneau.
Rivian specifically designed the space to be rectangular, as it is the most effecient way to fill a volume. A rolled tonneau simply wouldn't fit in the space provided, unless it were substantially thinner than the original.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian specifically designed the space to be rectangular, as it is the most effecient way to fill a volume. A rolled tonneau simply wouldn't fit in the space provided, unless it were substantially thinner than the original.
Rolling a cover into a rectangular space just requires a two roller configuration.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

It’s confounding how they engineered such an incredible vehicle but they can’t design and execute on a simple tonneau
I've had this thought several times myself. My truck is such an incredible example of technology and something so simple is such a roadblock.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

sorry, wrong choice of words. i wasnt suggesting a roll up tonneau, but was saying they should use the exact same tiles for both tonneau, and reuse as much of the same parts as possible, just make a manual versions and allow it to be stored in the same space.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I've had this thought several times myself. My truck is such an incredible example of technology and something so simple is such a roadblock.
seriously. they have a bad track record with accessories: tonneau, camp kitchen, camp speaker, wireless charger. kinda makes me wonder if this is why RJ is now taking over duties as head of all product to reign in this silliness.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Pretty harsh response!!
Well it was mostly meant to be absurd since I said that 5 days into the new year (and I knew it would chap @DuoRivians bumper). But the flip side is that we all know rivian comms is a hot dumpster fire. The reason I'm not truly mad is because unlike space-Karen setting a timeline and knowing it's a load of crap (or just plain lying), Rivian truly believes with good intentions that what they are saying is accurate. So for that, they continually get my support and occasional tongue&cheek chiding.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rolling a cover into a rectangular space just requires a two roller configuration.
You will never be able to pack a rolling cover as efficiently into a rectangular space as Rivian has with the stacking plates. Doesn't matter how many extra rollers you add.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
So I had my electric tonneau replaced today at the Phoenix SC. According to the work order it took 2.8 hours. I truly notice no difference whatsoever. In fact it could be noisier. I asked the tech what was actually replaced and he said only the slats and the spring inside the box above the gear tunnel. No new motor, no new rod, no new gears. I am crossing my fingers that this fix does the trick. I truly have my doubts. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.
The slats fit much closer on my new one and the bed is nearly water proof except in the car wash. You are correct in the noise is not less, which makes sense if the slats are more closely fited to each other whether extended or stacked. It is worth the money just for the security in my opinion.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I still think there maybe two different versions going forward....

The cobble things together and limp existing thru warranty period for OG covers.

Then a more extensive redesign for new builds.

Maybe they took all that time for the redesign but then decided it would be way too expensive to retrofit to all the existing fleet and instead just are trying to fix the biggest sources of failure on the OG units.

Complete speculation on my part....but seems plausible.
I really hope you are right @R1Tom but given Rivian's track record, and the fact that they absolutely have to conserve cash given how few quarters of cash they have left, I suspect that they simply can't afford a major, and costly redesign. If anything, they would need to go the opposite direction (like Tesla) and find an even cheaper solution for new builds.
Sponsored