First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f1t
Occupation
Retired
So I had my electric tonneau replaced today at the Phoenix SC. According to the work order it took 2.8 hours. I truly notice no difference whatsoever. In fact it could be noisier. I asked the tech what was actually replaced and he said only the slats and the spring inside the box above the gear tunnel. No new motor, no new rod, no new gears. I am crossing my fingers that this fix does the trick. I truly have my doubts. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Interesting. I’ve thought about looking into the cost of having added to mine. I just received the manual cover and its just ok. I don’t think I’d pay the new price for it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Sounds like they focused improving tolerance stacking.

Interesting. I’ve thought about looking into the cost of having added to mine. I just received the manual cover and its just ok. I don’t think I’d pay the new price for it.
They have not announced retrofit price. Nor have they officially confirmed availability, only hearsay passed from random conversations with chat and guides.

OP
OP

rmalzo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f1t
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like they focused improving tolerance stacking.

They have not announced retrofit price. Nor have they officially confirmed availability, only hearsay passed from random conversations with chat and guides.
I don’t think it’s even offered on new orders. I asked the service rep at the SC and she said it is no longer available. She will have to be fact checked though

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I don’t think it’s even offered on new orders. I asked the service rep at the SC and she said it is no longer available. She will have to be fact checked though
Retrofit will be available early 2024

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The OP echoes my thoughts after trying out the new replacement. It doesn't look or sound any different. I don't have a high degree of confidence that it's going to be that much more durable than the original.

Taking an entire year to basically just tweak the slats and spring seems like a big miss, and frankly a little disappointing.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The OP echoes my thoughts after trying out the new replacement. It doesn't look or sound any different. I don't have a high degree of confidence that it's going to be that much more durable than the original.

Taking an entire year to basically just tweak the slats and spring seems like a big miss, and frankly a little disappointing.
I still think there maybe two different versions going forward....

The cobble things together and limp existing thru warranty period for OG covers.

Then a more extensive redesign for new builds.

Maybe they took all that time for the redesign but then decided it would be way too expensive to retrofit to all the existing fleet and instead just are trying to fix the biggest sources of failure on the OG units.

Complete speculation on my part....but seems plausible.

OP
OP

rmalzo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f1t
Occupation
Retired

I agree 100% and after having it done today I am as Leary using it as I was before. It still makes lots of noise and I truly hope this fix lasts especially for my sake and Rivian credibility

Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
I would think at some point even if there are 2 “new” designs and they are cheaping out on us getting our OG covers fixed, that after multiple failures it would result in an upgrade to any new design to save money for them in the end. Perhaps that is wishful thinking, but I’m going to use mine without hesitation. All speculation, of course, that there was a bandaid fix instead of a new upcoming design.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It will work smoothly until mile 59,999 when it will become impossibly jammed 12” from your tailgate 💩

Shaggy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1S, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Banker
I would think at some point even if there are 2 “new” designs and they are cheaping out on us getting our OG covers fixed, that after multiple failures it would result in an upgrade to any new design to save money for them in the end. Perhaps that is wishful thinking, but I’m going to use mine without hesitation. All speculation, of course, that there was a bandaid fix instead of a new upcoming design.
You would think so, but it could be that the redesign is so extensive that it’s not possible on the early models.

A somewhat related story - I have a friend who has a 2014 Model S, where the handles auto-present, and he’s on his 17th handle assembly replacement. 17! 13 we’re under warranty and one failed a week after the warranty period ended. Tesla charged him for all of the last 4. (he’s clearly more tolerant than most). I’ve got a 2019 and they’re on V3 of the handles - only had one fail. Hope that Rivian adopts a better approach than this to the tonneau retrofit.
Sponsored