First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I had a call with my guide and was told by end of March 2022. I preordered in March 2019.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

@Tommy if anything you might get Good news about earlier delivery since you're a very early order placer. Surprised at bit the original target was that far out since rivianUGA demonstrates that being in Georgia should not have held you back. And your configuration seems "middle of the road."

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Again the original claim was that Rivian wouldn't care if 50% of preorder holders canceled tomorrow. Which I said is nonsense.

To your points:

1. I fully agree, that is what I would say is a big point of the IPO to build additional capacity for significantly perceived future demand and future vehicles.
2. Future reservations will include a mix of different battery sizes, configurations, models etc. Different orders will have different margins, LE orders won't necessarily be lower margin orders especially compared to say a Explore pkg order with a smaller battery when announced. I believe they have already said they will prioritize higher margin orders to some degree anyway.
3. I doubt the different wheel upgrades actually cost them any more either. They clearly ordered a shit ton of the standard 20" ATs since almost every vehicle seen has them.
4. The point is to not dissatisfy them in the first place.

On top of all of that, as I already argued, the public perception for an auto company is pretty important.

Clearly there isn't an abundance of people on this thread saying they plan on canceling so we are nowhere near there, just a consensus that the communication from Rivian and preorder holders could be a lot better.
So, we agree on #1

For 2, if they raise prices then logically that means early reservation holders with original pricing should go to the back of the line so they can build the exact same product and charge more for it. They aren’t doing that, so, as I said, if some of those early orders drop off the books that’s not terrible from their perspective.

Regarding number 3, even if 20” wheels cost the same to manufacture as the 21” wheels, LE orders with 20” wheels represent lost revenue compared to all other orders. Why? Because all other orders result in an up charge paid by the customer which an LE customer does not pay.

When we come to 4, that ship has sailed. Unless you have a time machine, you cannot undo the damage that was done.

Regarding the perception of an auto company, take a look at Tesla. They have arguably had the same type of issues at this point in their production of vehicles. It didn’t hurt them.

I’m not saying that ANY of this is proper, or that I would handle things this way if I were in charge. I’m just saying that if you look at this analytically from the point of view of Rivian decision-makers given all of the current conditions, none of this is a calamity and they aren’t crying over early reservation holders giving up their place in line.

That’s why I suggested in another thread that if people want to effect change they should go to a financial media outlet with their story and the documentation to back it up. Pre-IPO that WILL get Rivian’s attention. A subset of reservation holders abandoning their orders will not.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
@Tommy if anything you might get Good news about earlier delivery since you're a very early order placer. Surprised at bit the original target was that far out since rivianUGA demonstrates that being in Georgia should not have held you back. And your configuration seems "middle of the road."
Yes, I too was surprised at the Jan '22 date when my guide contacted me in July '21 for the same reasons you stated. In my original discussion with him, we surmised that it was because I do not live in one of the 'favored' locations and a service center in my area would not be complete for 'some time'.

This is the first (I think) I've heard of another GA resident having an earlier delivery date guestimate than myself. I will be very interested to hear what rivianUGA finds out. I am also interested in his configuration as well. (More data points :like:)

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Where is this information coming from? I believe it was the OP who had suggested that his individual delivery had been moved. How do we know it wasn't just his paint color or rim selection? Not being snarky but I'm trying to understand how we now know that all orders are now delayed other than a post on an anonymous message board?
Yes, my whole point was that it seemed odd they'd do all of these things if they were aware of an upcoming universal delivery delay. It's either a very new setback or it's not going to impact everybody. But again, hard to say until we hear more on this from other early preorder holders or Rivian actually commits to another delay in an announcement. My hope is that maybe one rep jumped the gun a little bit and they're not certain the problem is unsolvable yet.

Sponsored

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Yes, I too was surprised at the Jan '22 date when my guide contacted me in July '21 for the same reasons you stated. In my original discussion with him, we surmised that it was because I do not live in one of the 'favored' locations and a service center in my area would not be complete for 'some time'.

This is the first (I think) I've heard of another GA resident having an earlier delivery date guestimate than myself. I will be very interested to hear what rivianUGA finds out. I am also interested in his configuration as well. (More data points :like:)
LE, granite, 22", ocean coast, off road.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So, we agree on #1

For 2, if they raise prices then logically that means early reservation holders with original pricing should go to the back of the line so they can build the exact same product and charge more for it. They aren’t doing that, so, as I said, if some of those early orders drop off the books that’s not terrible from their perspective.

Regarding number 3, even if 20” wheels cost the same to manufacture as the 21” wheels, LE orders with 20” wheels represent lost revenue compared to all other orders. Why? Because all other orders result in an up charge paid by the customer which an LE customer does not pay.

When we come to 4, that ship has sailed. Unless you have a time machine, you cannot undo the damage that was done.

Regarding the perception of an auto company, take a look at Tesla. They have arguably had the same type of issues at this point in their production of vehicles. It didn’t hurt them.

I’m not saying that ANY of this is proper, or that I would handle things this way if I were in charge. I’m just saying that if you look at this analytically from the point of view of Rivian decision-makers given all of the current conditions, none of this is a calamity and they aren’t crying over early reservation holders giving up their place in line.

That’s why I suggested in another thread that if people want to effect change they should go to a financial media outlet with their story and the documentation to back it up. Pre-IPO that WILL get Rivian’s attention. A subset of reservation holders abandoning their orders will not.
But again the claim wasn't a small subset of orders will cancel, it was that Rivian wouldn't care if 50% of their orders cancel. It really feels like you are arguing a different statement than what was made. But again I am done. Agree to disagree on this.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I had a call with my guide and was told by end of March 2022. I preordered in March 2019.
Thisni
Hmm, this is all very interesting. Maybe they really are focusing on the 2018 orders first. You would think that should've been the plan all along especially in L.A where there is a service center.
I am 12/8/2018 and live 20 minutes from you- config LE/LG/R1T / Black mountain, AT wheels.
All this possibly reveals how bad/random the first guide contacts were.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Okay, to sum up because this thread is flying.

* 1 preorder from December 2018 originally told end of October was told it's February now.
* At least one order holder with similar config from earlier in 2018 is still being told end of November
* As far as we know, nobody who was told end of October got their truck end of October
* Lots of people are annoyed with either Rivian or other people for being annoyed with Rivian

Questions:

Are we sure location isn't a factor?

Is it possible one rep got the wrong idea or overshared something Rivian wasn't ready to confirm yet because still trying to solve the problem?

Should we maybe wait for more than one report before assuming there is for sure yet another big delay coming? With cautious optimism of course, given how screwed the general supply chain is for everybody right now.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Or actually this could
Okay, to sum up because this thread is flying.

* 1 preorder from December 2018 originally told end of October was told it's February now.
* At least one order holder with similar config from earlier in 2018 is still being told end of November
* As far as we know, nobody who was told end of October got their truck end of October
* Lots of people are annoyed with either Rivian or other people for being annoyed with Rivian

Questions:

Are we sure location isn't a factor?

Is it possible one rep got the wrong idea or overshared something Rivian wasn't ready to confirm yet because still trying to solve the problem?

Should we maybe wait for more than one report before assuming there is for sure yet another big delay coming? With cautious optimism of course, given how screwed the general supply chain is for everybody right now.
well, you just got another delay. See above- a few posts.

The OP said he was only 1 call of many the guides were making. This is happening everywhere. Either 2018ers will get trucks in Dec/Jan, or the mass email will tells us all March-June.

Sponsored

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
So...any guesses what this means for the R1S group? Say a preorder in March 2020?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Maybe they're moving up R1S production because they can't figure out the tonneau covers for the R1T!
That's actually not 'crazy talk'

If anything to do with the tonneau, I'd be totally happy with the base manual slider. In fact, I wish that was an option on the LE/Adventure. Just seems like too much tech for something that realistically will get used infrequently or periodically

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So who start's the useless conjecture thread titled "Will Rivian Meet its Thanksgiving Guides commitment" :computerrage:
Sponsored