Sponsored

Took delivery at Costa Mesa SC [R1S 149##]

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R1T.
Clubs

Hah, wonder if it's just gonna be rented by Rivian owners back to back. An acquaintance brought his R1S in the day before you and passed on the X since he already has one and was interested in trying out other cars so he ended up with the Volvo XC40 Recharge.
I wonder how much its costing Rivian each month. Enterprise must be loving it.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Just noticed that the driver-side fog lamp is out. Looked through the manual, think all the light related items start on page 57 but no instructions on how to change the bulb.
That should be covered under warranty ... LED Factory units tend to be sealed and require entire unit to be replaced in my experience.

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

That should be covered under warranty ... LED Factory units tend to be sealed and require entire unit to be replaced in my experience.
Ah that explains it. Already had January appointment for the paint chip follow-up so I ended up adding it to that appointment.

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Noticed this issue probably a few months back but never had time to stop and record. Anyway, with my second appointment coming up, finally took the time to capture it. According to the forums/reddit, it could be FSAM-407, FSAM-1091?

Clicking, popping sounds coming from the frontend when turning lock to lock at low speeds? Both forward and reverse. Hoping its just the washers on the halfshafts. I've also read others suspension dampers getting replaced or subframe assemblies being replaced due to cracked welds?

Couldn't upload the video here so linking to Youtube upload:

---

Also of note, I know they work with two body shops in the area, heard from the advisor today that mine is set up with Kaizen, looks like they have locations in Orange, Anaheim and Fullerton in Orange County. Looks like a huge outfit. https://www.yelp.com/biz/kaizen-collision-center-formally-boss-paint-and-body-anaheim

Last edited:

Rapida Rivian

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Noticed this issue probably a few months back but never had time to stop and record. Anyway, with my second appointment coming up, finally took the time to capture it. According to the forums/reddit, it could be FSAM-407, FSAM-1091?

Clicking, popping sounds coming from the frontend when turning lock to lock at low speeds? Both forward and reverse. Hoping its just the washers on the halfshafts. I've also read others suspension dampers getting replaced or subframe assemblies being replaced due to cracked welds?

Couldn't upload the video here so linking to Youtube upload:

---

Also of note, I know they work with two body shops in the area, heard from the advisor today that mine is set up with Kaizen, looks like they have locations in Orange, Anaheim and Fullerton in Orange County. Looks like a huge outfit. https://www.yelp.com/biz/kaizen-collision-center-formally-boss-paint-and-body-anaheim
I have a milder version of that clicking with my R1T. Did you find anything out about the source of the clicking?

Sponsored

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

I have a milder version of that clicking with my R1T. Did you find anything out about the source of the clicking?
I thought it would be the ting washers, surprisingly was way more invasive than that. I'm glad they caught it and fixed, but didn't think it was something that would end up with both wheel hubs being replaced. Guess there were bad bearings?

Below are the details from my work order regarding this issue:

Code:
Concern:
- The customer is hearing a clinking noise in the front of the vehicle when traveling at low speeds
, when turning the wheel either way
Cause:
- Technician verified customer concern of clicking noise from the front suspension and found
both front wheel hub to be the cause of the noise.
Correction/Remedy:
- Hub, Front, LH (Remove and Replace)
- Hub, Front, RH (Remove and Replace)
- Front Halfshafts General Diagnostic
- Front Halfshafts Other Labor (1 hour)

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Just wrapped my second service center experience. TL;DR: I feel like I lucked out twice. Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Appointment was scheduled for 1/10/24 back in mid-October, after I got my car back from the first service appointment. This time, the days before the appointment, I made sure they scheduled with the body shop. Looks like they did as the rep mentioned that my car was destined to go to Kaizen in Orange according to the service notes.

I dropped off the R1S on Wednesday (1/10) morning and got a yellow R1T loaner which was great since it had the ATs I always wanted. The steering was misaligned a bit, but NBD. The next day, I saw that the R1S was in a service bay. By Saturday (1/13) when I checked the location of the car, I saw that it was already at the body shop.

It wasn't until the following Wednesday (1/17) that the SC told me that the car had been picked up by the body shop. At that point they estimated another week and that they would update me on 1/24. On Saturday (1/20) they called to tell me the car was ready for pickup but I ended up picking it up on Monday (1/22) instead since I couldn't make it that Saturday.

So from drop-off to ready, it only took 10 days, way quicker than what they originally estimated. Now the only issue... Kaizen did a great job painting the front fascia but trapped a bunch of dirt when they did the clear coat.

Here's the before with paint pen fixes and the chip that started showing up at the top right corner beneath the light assembly:
Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery at Costa Mesa SC [R1S 149##] 1705995126109

The after when I picked it up, looked pretty good and they fixed the panel alighment so it wouldn't rub up agains tthe light assembly:
Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery at Costa Mesa SC [R1S 149##] 1705995165242

But after I got it to my PPF shop and they prepped it for replacement film, they noted a bunch of paint defects:

At this point, I'm just going to live with the issues, not totally Rivian's fault. They couldn't have really caught it during the rain this past weekend. And honestly, it's fine, hoping the matte film hides some of the defects.

Interesting fact, while your car is in service, the phone app will lock you out. It'll still show your current mileage but that will be when it was placed in service mode. It won't update while in service mode. I was checking it here and there during service, and obviously after it was driven to the body shop, the count should've updated. But it wasn't until they took it out of service mode that the app finally updated.

Others have also noted how their cars have been returned filthy. I didn't have any issues during my first visit, but assume this second visit was different since it required a service visit. The mileage difference in and out perfectly lines up to someone driving the car to Kaizen and back. So I assume whoever was driving it must've been in mechanic overalls or something since the seat and center console was noticeably dirty at a glance. NBD as it came right off with a good wipe (ceramic coat doing its thing?).
Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery at Costa Mesa SC [R1S 149##] 1705995431418

Summary:
1) Front fascia chip Addressed, but body shop did a poor job and ended up clear coating over some debris that is now trapped on the panel
2) Rear passenger door handle misalignedAddressed, not perfect but good enough
3) Clicking sounds from front wheels at full lock/low speedsAddressed perfectly, they replaced both front-wheel hubs
4) Driver side fog lamp outAddressed perfectly, sloppy job from prior visit, they forgot to replug the light after replacing the bumper

Rapida Rivian

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I thought it would be the ting washers, surprisingly was way more invasive than that. I'm glad they caught it and fixed, but didn't think it was something that would end up with both wheel hubs being replaced. Guess there were bad bearings?

Below are the details from my work order regarding this issue:

Code:
Concern:
- The customer is hearing a clinking noise in the front of the vehicle when traveling at low speeds
, when turning the wheel either way
Cause:
- Technician verified customer concern of clicking noise from the front suspension and found
both front wheel hub to be the cause of the noise.
Correction/Remedy:
- Hub, Front, LH (Remove and Replace)
- Hub, Front, RH (Remove and Replace)
- Front Halfshafts General Diagnostic
- Front Halfshafts Other Labor (1 hour)

Interesting Thank you for getting back to me. Mine seems to be different only when cruise control is on and doesn't matter if I am turning the wheels. Will get it looked at. Thanks again

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Looks like my driver-side heated seat doesn't work. I never use it but wife was driving the other day and decided to try it out. Turns off immediately after you tap the button to turn it on. Tried tapping it via the bottom row button, and also within the climate controls. Same behavior.

Steering wheel heat works, passenger heated seat works, both seats cooling work. Tried two hard resets and still no luck.

To my surprise, saw available appointments less than a month and a half out at Costa Mesa. Never seen appointments available so soon, especially for a low-priority issue. Eastvale / Lake Forest must be ramping up w/ their technicians!

Rivian R1T R1S Took delivery at Costa Mesa SC [R1S 149##] IMG_1462

OP
OP
citizen

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Wrapped my third service appointment on Friday. This was a quick one. My wife dropped the car off Wednesday afternoon, we were told Friday morning the car was ready. Got another great rental from Enterprise Exotics by SNA. This time it was a MB EQE. Kiddos got to experience a sedan for once!

Issues Addressed:
  1. Torsion spring disconnected so tailgate opened w/o any resistance; I originally wanted to fix this myself but others on the forum noted that there was a new assembly. I took a quick look at the fix and it didn't seem like there was a new assembly; no matter it was fixed.
  2. Driver seat heating wasn't working (may have never worked); the issue was that whatever wire was needed for operation was not fully plugged in.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Nice! Are they covering the premium rentals as well? That’s nice if so. I haven’t had a service yet but that location is my go to.
Sponsored