Sponsored

Minnesota Pre Orders

RivianMN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I drove past the service center on Saturday evening and there must've been 20+ vehicles in the lot. Roughly 75% were R1Ss.
Sponsored

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Anyone out there willing to share their experience with their 21” tires this winter? Regrets? No big deal? I’m still waiting on a max pack but very on the fence regarding my tire choice. I tow either a boat or (large) pop-up camper to Voygeurs, Vermilion, Ely, or the North Shore several times a season and would love the range advantage of the 21s. That being said, I love the 3PMS AT tires I have on my ICE truck, especially for the several days after it snows.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I don't have experience to share, but was debating the same thing. Was initially going to go 20 AT and switch tires out for something like Michelin Defender LT in the summer for range. Ultimately I have switched to the 22s, will use the stock tires spring-fall and then swap tires for a dedicated snow tire (probably nokians) for winter. Dedicated snow tire is going to be better than the stock ATs on snow and ice. Stock 22s are pretty good for range and wheels have much better snow tire selection (assuming we get a dedicated snow tire for the 21s anytime soon).

I didn't consider getting a second pair of wheels, but that is of course another option.

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

^ This is what I'd recommend. I don't tow a long ways or have a specific need for long range but I do have a big need for winter traction (as does everyone in this thread lol) so I went with the AT tires. My second choice was 22's with dedicated snow tires and was even on the fence for 20" snows as well. After driving with the factory AT tires in the various storms we've gotten, I don't think I will be getting winter tires. The AT's work nearly as good as the Blizzaks on my wife's Subaru in most cases.

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
I have the standard 21" road tires. On Wednesday, we got 6" of light snow on top of ice. On Thursday, we got another 8". My driveway got plowed sometime on Wednesday. So, I had about 8" of snow on the driveway for most of Thursday. Clearance was fine. The driveway is on a steep reverse slope. The road on the hill to the driveway is steep and curved and never well plowed. I have no regrets. The truck handled it fine ascending and descending. Bottom line, the truck does fine on snow with the stock 21" road tires. Better than my Honda Ridgeline, slightly worse than my Tundra. Yes, a dedicated snow tire with or without studs and chains will make it even better; but, for simple practical driving on paved, gravel, or aggregate, I don't see any reason to get anything additional. However, I have driven in bad winter conditions my entire life. During driver's ed in the 70's, we did skids in unplowed school parking lot for hours as part of our class. If you know how to drive on ice and snow, you are not going to have any issues with this truck. However, it is heavy and the quad drive can very quickly get you into a problem if you are not paying attention.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
I appreciate the responses, thank you.

Slip Rick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Traverse, equinox
Occupation
Aspiring podcaster
Hey all - I have scheduled my R1S demo for March and am excited! Any tips on questions I should be asking or features to try?

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Anyone out there willing to share their experience with their 21” tires this winter? Regrets? No big deal? I’m still waiting on a max pack but very on the fence regarding my tire choice. I tow either a boat or (large) pop-up camper to Voygeurs, Vermilion, Ely, or the North Shore several times a season and would love the range advantage of the 21s. That being said, I love the 3PMS AT tires I have on my ICE truck, especially for the several days after it snows.
My 21’s have been good, not great but a solid “good”. In really heavy snow for our trips to the cabin in Hayward wi I take our ICE suv with snow tires. I have no need to consider other tires for the Rivian.

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
I think the best winter solution would be a dedicated Blizzak on a 20" wheel. I have a Porsche Macan S. I invested in winter wheels and tires because I didn't want to destroy the finish on the 22" wheels I have during the rest of the year. It certainly makes a difference on that car.

I actually heard that Rivian has plenty of wheels and tires and not enough jacks. That's the reason for not being able to get a spare tire.

Last edited:

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I moved from the 21s to the 22s for the availability of winter tires.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Finally got my offer for the first mile in the R1S. I got to drive an R1T this past summer because of the lovely workers at the SLP center. Looking forward to some time in the R1S.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Just got my guide contact, who was very hedgy that there *might* already be a vehicle with my exact config built and delivery *could* be sooner than my July-Sept 2023 delivery window. But it could still be weeks or months. I confirmed my config with no changes (R1S quad FG FE UBS). I've definitely read that there is wide variation between contact/confirmation and delivery. Curious if there are any MN recent anecdotes in this area.

Why am I so excited...

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Just got my guide contact, who was very hedgy that there *might* already be a vehicle with my exact config built and delivery *could* be sooner than my July-Sept 2023 delivery window. But it could still be weeks or months. I confirmed my config with no changes (R1S quad FG FE UBS). I've definitely read that there is wide variation between contact/confirmation and delivery. Curious if there are any MN recent anecdotes in this area.

Why am I so excited...
Do you have access to the R1S shop yet?

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Do you have access to the R1S shop yet?
No shop access. Guessing maybe they are trying to get a count for a batch of something?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m excited for you. I’m a bit frustrated because I ordered a month after you, and I got pushed twice now, into 2024. I’m pretty sure my switch to the new OC from BM bumped me back a ways.
Sponsored