Sponsored

Minnesota Pre Orders

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
I have had mine about 3 weeks now. At around 20 decrees it takes half again the range to get places. So 100 miles takes 150 in range. I have not driven it much in subzero yet. I have not received the update yet so have not tried snow mode yet. I think it is coming out is stages. Also living in outstate I have hesitated to take it very far in the winter with the charging horror stories and simply the lack of chargers.
Hey Doug - I have a somewhat heated garage at my home such that the air temp in the garage is about 50F no matter how cold it is outside. Do you think that would be fairly helpful from a range degradation perspective when the tems are below 20 (I'm referencing your comment that it takes about 150 miles of range to drive 100 miles). My thought is that the very dense heavy battery pack would take a little while to cool down to the Outside ambient temp of 20. Such that it may help me for daily driving. Of course if I park somewhere for a while - any warming is lost.
Maybe the battery pack is already warmed somewhat via pre-conditioning prior to leaving your garage yet still plugged in (not sure if this is a feature yet or not).
Sponsored

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
Hey Doug - I have a somewhat heated garage at my home such that the air temp in the garage is about 50F no matter how cold it is outside. Do you think that would be fairly helpful from a range degradation perspective when the tems are below 20 (I'm referencing your comment that it takes about 150 miles of range to drive 100 miles). My thought is that the very dense heavy battery pack would take a little while to cool down to the Outside ambient temp of 20. Such that it may help me for daily driving. Of course if I park somewhere for a while - any warming is lost.
Maybe the battery pack is already warmed somewhat via pre-conditioning prior to leaving your garage yet still plugged in (not sure if this is a feature yet or not).
Our garage is usually about 50 to 55 degrees too. So far most of my trips have been shorter like 30 miles or so. The range has been about what I said in the last post. I just watched a youtube video of someone who drove in Colorado at -13 F and the further he went the better the efficiency he got. So I do think it improves the further you go because the batteries warm up. I have not driven it for a few days now because our roads were all closed so I cannot say how it would do in the extreme cold we had the last few days.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
We're headed to west central Illinois on Saturday. We'll give it a the HVAC and range a solid test! šŸ„¶ I'll report back.
Overall, the trip met my expectations - and my fears weren't realized! šŸ˜€

Left Saturday morning for west central Illinois - about 450 miles one way. Temps in the low to mid single digits with a stiff crosswind most of the way.

Averaged about 1.65 mi/kWh using a mix of snow mode and conserve - about 1/2 of the distance using each.

Averaged 1.95 mi/kWh on the drive back with temps in the 20s and a nice tailwind most of the way. About 75% in conserve mode and 25% in snow mode.

Speed varied depending on road conditions - probably averaged around 57 to 58 mph over the trip.

Didn't run into any charger issues other than changing our route home due to a sketchy report on Plugshare for a charger we'd used a few days earlier.

HVAC still use some improvement. I wanted to set the temp at 65, but it would only blow cold air (showed snowflakes on the climate menu) so I bumped it up to 68. It held there fine.

Happy New Year!

Edit: all the details šŸ˜€

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
R1S test drives come to MN!

Rivian R1T R1S Minnesota Pre Orders 1672340050761

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
R1S test drives come to MN!

1672340050761.png
Yeah got my invite too, scheduled for mid January. Looked like Jan 10-14 was available.

Sponsored

eDad_R1S

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - LS w/ OC
I am glad I occasionally check this forum. I didnā€™t receive an email but logged into my account after seeing your message and sure enough was able to book a test drive next Friday at 9AM (They showed 9am open Tues-Sat, a couple days at 1pm and Wed at 11am). Time to test how it fits in my small city garage (I did measure and it should fit but it will be tight).

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
Canyon Red R1T, large pack, quad, 21".

Any insights appreciated as to when I can expect delivery.
8/2021: Ordered R1T with max pack.
11/2022: Dropped to large pack after I became convinced the max pack is never coming and weight issues.
12/30/2022: Received email to check configuration. Completed steps 6/8 that day.
1/3/2023: Car en route to Minneapolis service center.
1/9/2023 (today): They verified the car is in Minneapolis. We drove by the service center on Saturday and didn't see it on the lot. Assumed it was inside. However, there were lots of R1S's and R1T's on their lot. Mainly silver ones. I was surprised at how many R1S's there were

I'd really like to get it before the weekend. Like most people here this has been a whirlwind.

BTW, the lack of tracking info isn't unique to Rivian. I have ordered a number of P-cars and you can track them perfectly from the factory to the US port. Once they hit the US port, they drop off the radar completely. I've had the dealer call me one day after they told me it would be another two weeks and say, "Hey, guess what, I'm looking at your car. They dropped it last night."

ghorse

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime
I talked to my guide today and she reports R1Sā€™s with Ocean Coast interior have been coming off the line. Also states that April-June is not accurate delivery window most likely 4-8 weeks. Cautiously optimistic.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
" I talked to my guide today and she reports R1Sā€™s with Ocean Coast interior have been coming off the line. Also states that April-June is not accurate delivery window most likely 4-8 weeks. Cautiously optimistic."

This sounds like good news - but after 4 years of waiting, and after my guide telling me in October that my October 22 delivery date was solid (only to be pushed to May-June), I am a little hesitant to get too excited.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I talked to my guide today and she reports R1Sā€™s with Ocean Coast interior have been coming off the line. Also states that April-June is not accurate delivery window most likely 4-8 weeks. Cautiously optimistic.
Thatā€™s awesome news!

I switched from BM to OC when they added the dark wood. I was a 1H ā€˜23 holder, but now Iā€™m in Q3. Iā€™m sure had I kept BM Iā€™d be in that April to June window, but thats ok.

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
let me know if anyone drives by and sees a canyon red r1t on the st. louis park lot....

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
let me know if anyone drives by and sees a canyon red r1t on the st. louis park lot....
A buddy was just there this morning and said he didn't see one. Only around 10 trucks and SUVs combined.

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was there last weekend and saw more than that on the lot. Did your buddy go inside?

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
I was there last weekend and saw more than that on the lot. Did your buddy go inside?
I don't think so. He was just interested in getting a look at the different wheel options and what was outside covered them. Couldn't decide between the 20s and the 21s.
Sponsored