kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Is that 250kW something the user has to type into PlugShare? Wondering if this was a typo and it should have been 150kW.

Plugshare has peak charging input once a user is at a station and shares a review. I doubt its a typo as you have ample time to type it up and ask during your review and you can delete or edit iirc.
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't get the mystery really? Rivian has been unwavering in their claim of 140 miles in 20 minutes, which equates to about 45% charge at an average rate of 175kw. This claim is squarely within the bounds of reason based on everything else we know. 45% is a fairly typical charge range on a road trip (35%-80%) and that's a pretty solid average rate. It sounds like it will be similar to the eTron and have a pretty flat curve under 80%, but at slightly higher rate.

Of course, this assumes an EA charger functioning at full capacity.
I asked MT, and they said they did a 20-80% charge at around 30 minutes. That averages approx 160kw.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I asked MT, and they said they did a 20-80% charge at around 30 minutes. That averages approx 160kw.
That sounds about right, in the same ballpark and a solid result. So, just a single data point, but could suggest you can average 175kw lower in the curve, then start to taper closer to 80% and end up with an average of 160kw over 20%-80%.

That's still faster than most other EV's currently available and more than adequate for road trips. Taycan is faster, the Hyundai/Kia ones will be, but those are all 800/900v. Lucid should be as well.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm still confused by this statement. Will the DCFC be able to output over 200kW initially to an R1?

"300kW+ in the future" - is this spec mean an R1 will be able to charge 300kW in the future or some future vehicle we don't know about.
Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed 1636058660621

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm still confused by this statement. Will the DCFC be able to output over 200kW initially to an R1?

"300kW+ in the future" - is this spec mean an R1 will be able to charge 300kW in the future or some future vehicle we don't know about.
1636058660621.png

Charger output will be 300kw+ in the future, a vehicle taking that output is a different story. S1 says initially R1 vehicles will be able to take 200kw+ with future vehicles taking 300kw+

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

1636058660621.png
Charger output will be 300kw+ in the future, a vehicle taking that output is a different story. S1 says initially R1 vehicles will be able to take 200kw+ with future vehicles taking 300kw+
in other words, it seems to be that all current R1s are limited to 200ish kW. An R2, or some other R1 variant would take 300kW+. That could be the max pack variants, it could be the 2026 R1T, or it could be the R2CUV (making up a new model).

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Is anyone else concerned that we don't know the maximum charging speed of any of the Rivian vehicles? I've seen the videos that say either 120 or 140 miles in 20 minutes, but NOT ONE of the reviewers or current owners have posted any information about the DC fast charging rate or curve. Before investing or buying, I'd really like to know if Rivian's DC fast charging curve is competitive with Tesla (high max rate, pretty good overall range/min) or Audi (great sustained high rate until 80% SOC). Given the lack of information, I'm wondering if Rivian has a problem with slow DC "fast" charging or a quickly declining charge rate? Otherwise, why wouldn't they release the statistics? Consider the highway roadside charging time of the max pack - many people might be turned off with a 1.5 hour stop to reach 80%. I think max charging speed is incredibly important - I'd take a car with 200 miles of range that could recharge to 80% in 10 minutes over a car with 400 miles of range that took 1-1.5 hours to reach 80%. Does anyone have any data on this? Can an owner go to an EA charging station and tell us the 10%-80% charge time? Thanks - I want to love my preorder (best looking EVs ever made IMHO), and I'd like to buy stock, but given their new and untested cooling plate system combined with the lack of information, I'm concerned this car will be a road trip dud.

It's probably cause all the employee's that have the truck are under an NDA not to say anything anyway, if they even have social media. Maybe this is a slip by this employee, but he said he was getting 110kW at 60-70% when he was charging. Not bad. And we don't know if the EA station was even working correctly to begin with.

After the IPO next week, I'm sure we'll know more info about charging speed and curve.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Everyone seems to assuming that these customers are going to go straight out to a L3 charger and find out the charging rate. When I get mine it will probably be months before I charge anywhere besides home.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Everyone seems to assuming that these customers are going to go straight out to a L3 charger and find out the charging rate. When I get mine it will probably be months before I charge anywhere besides home.

If Rivian Delivered last year I could have done 2 months of on the road DCFC testing for them! LOL

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I had the truck for a month, I would certainly have intentionally done this by now. I think it's fun to be the first to provide that sort of data to the EV community.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If I had the truck for a month, I would certainly have intentionally done this by now. I think it's fun to be the first to provide that sort of data to the EV community.
And we have seen a few here and there. They have only delivered what ~150 trucks? I know it would take me time to get to a fast charger and test it out since I'm usually busy with work, kids school and activities, etc.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I'd say that's pretty disappointing considering the battery size.

Why is this disappointing? Those speeds are better than standard for the newer electric vehicles hitting the market - new Mach-E Ford and the new ID4 may hit those speeds on a good day at that charge level, if ever.

My Taycan is one of the two fastest charging EVs on the market and usually tapers off to 100kW to 125kW by 75% or 80%. it drops to 100kW or below after 80%. Once it hits 90%, then it drops down to 50kW or less. A Tesla has a less aggressive charging curve.

I am not sure why people are expecting the Rivian to hold 150kW charging speeds up to 80% when no cars on the market do that currently???? High speed battery charging puts a lot of stress on a battery, so auto makers are trying to do what they can to protect and prolong the life of the battery.

There is plenty of information on EV battery charging curves available on the web. I think people should review and watch what is out there to get an understanding of what they will see with the Rivian when it comes to high speed charging. It is not like Rivian is changing the way EV batteries work, or introducing new battery technology.

At the end of the day, all of that must be caveated that those speeds are only achievable if the Electrify America charger location is working!

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Why is this disappointing? Those speeds are better than standard for the newer electric vehicles hitting the market - new Mach-E Ford and the new ID4 may hit those speeds on a good day at that charge level, if ever.

My Taycan is one of the two fastest charging EVs on the market and usually tapers off to 100kW to 125kW by 75% or 80%. it drops to 100kW or below after 80%. Once it hits 90%, then it drops down to 50kW or less. A Tesla has a less aggressive charging curve.

I am not sure why people are expecting the Rivian to hold 150kW charging speeds up to 80% when no cars on the market do that currently???? High speed battery charging puts a lot of stress on a battery, so auto makers are trying to do what they can to protect and prolong the life of the battery.

There is plenty of information on EV battery charging curves available on the web. I think people should review and watch what is out there to get an understanding of what they will see with the Rivian when it comes to high speed charging. It is not like Rivian is changing the way EV batteries work, or introducing new battery technology.

At the end of the day, all of that must be caveated that those speeds are only achievable if the Electrify America charger location is working!
Better way to compare charging capabilities of the vehicle is using c-rate and not kW. Rivian has big battery, 40-60% bigger than most vehicles on the market today. I think most people would agree that Tesla Semi charging at 150kW at 60% wouldn't be impressive at all.

Anything below 1C at 60% is a very weak result. For context here are some c-rates.
Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed 1636137215846

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I am not sure why people are expecting the Rivian to hold 150kW charging speeds up to 80% when no cars on the market do that currently????
Mine does, and with a 30% smaller battery (eTron) and it's 2-3 years old. Not every time (charger issues), but it's certainly capable of it when the charger is up to it.
Sponsored