Max charging speed

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I think Brice nailed it - Electrify America is super inconsistent. Some days you get amazing speeds, some days you don't. As long as a person understands that, road tripping in a Rivian will be a delight. Also, hitting 80% in a certain amount of time will vary depending on the battery pack size. One person's 20% to 80% in 30 minutes will be another persons 20% to 80% in 40 or 45 minutes.

Here is a good example of Electrify America working as designed. Yesterday in Trinidad, Colorado I had a great charging session for my Taycan while on my road trip to PHX. Check out the results:

Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed IMG_1613

It will certainly not be every day a vehicle will charge 65kWh in 20 minutes, even for a Taycan.

The key to successful road tripping in an EV is patience, and keeping options open!

P.S. Not even the two fastest charging vehicles on the market today - my Porsche Taycan included - will hold charging speeds up to 180kW up to 80%, so that will not happen with a Rivian currently.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
A big problem not many people are talking about is charger limits due to the 400V charging voltage. Those 350kW EA chargers can't push the Rivian advertised amount of power at 400V, they're current-limited. Same goes for the Petro Canada stations. You need to look at the charger specs, take this for example:
Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed 1636039984407

So limited to 350A, multiplied by about 400V = 140kW (yes yes, technically it can be a little higher b/c the voltage isn't exactly 400V and can be higher).

I know EA has some different suppliers for DCFC, I wonder what the current limits there are.

The Rivian Adventure Network specs that were leaked a while back showed that, at least one charger, will have a current limit of 500A, which is where the 200kW number comes from. These don't exist yet, and I don't think many people will be able to rely on this network for another few years at least.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
While looking at station options in Utah on plugshare I noticed a rivian check-in in Green River the other day. Apparently an employee is road tripping back to California after picking up his truck. This is his route:
https://www.polarsteps.com/VivekVaid/4419390-rivian-r1t-plant-to-home

I found a few of his other check-ins on plugshare and some of the highest reported speeds were 184, 187, and 250kw in Lexington, NE!

I wish I had the opportunity to see the truck as he passed through Grand Junction!

OP
OP

jsro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Just a couple that you may find the comments and info on the screens interesting. don't get too wound up though, some obviously hit a bad EA station, and on at least one I think recall the person was at a 5k0w charger. Really my point is the new owners are nice engaging people who are sharing info about their trucks as they find put about them too.

I did notice someone commented they witnessed 180kw on a truck up to around 70%ish.
Thank you for posting this. It does add some data to the conversation. I'm beginning to think the charging curve will barely be adequate for road trips, but it looks to me like the Rivian's DC fast charging speed isn't as good as some competitors. I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG BC I REALLY WANT A RIVIAN!!!!

I REALLY hope someone with a R1T will post a video of 5-80% at an EA charger. Then we could put this issue to rest. Come on Rivian - rescind the NDA for 1 video!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Thank you for posting this. It does add some data to the conversation. I'm beginning to think the charging curve will barely be adequate for road trips, but it looks to me like the Rivian's DC fast charging speed isn't as good as some competitors. I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG BC I REALLY WANT A RIVIAN!!!!

I REALLY hope someone with a R1T will post a video of 5-80% at an EA charger. Then we could put this issue to rest. Come on Rivian - rescind the NDA for 1 video!

Probably 40 to 50 min Id imagine for that rate, again its nothing brilliant because of voltage architecture backbone is 450v. Can't really go beyond that, the only thing I can see they doing is parallel charging thru their patent but I have heard 0 news so they probably didn't implement that or they would be shouting it from the top of their lungs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jsro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
While looking at station options in Utah on plugshare I noticed a rivian check-in in Green River the other day. Apparently an employee is road tripping back to California after picking up his truck. This is his route:
https://www.polarsteps.com/VivekVaid/4419390-rivian-r1t-plant-to-home

I found a few of his other check-ins on plugshare and some of the highest reported speeds were 184, 187, and 250kw in Lexington, NE!

I wish I had the opportunity to see the truck as he passed through Grand Junction!
How did you find his check-ins? Or, can you share screen-shots?

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
How did you find his check-ins? Or, can you share screen-shots?
Maybe it's because I'm logged into plugshare. Of course that doesn't say anything about how long it stayed at those levels.
Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed Screenshot_20211104-113249
Rivian R1T R1S Max charging speed Screenshot_20211104-113120

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Maybe it's because I'm logged into plugshare. Of course that doesn't say anything about how long it stayed at those levels.
Screenshot_20211104-113249.png
Screenshot_20211104-113120.png
Pulling 250kw? Damn..

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Someone will soon enough. Be patient, I suspect that at worst it will be consistent with charging times 0 to 80 of say the ID.4 and MME. I have a feeling Rivian will start off with a conservative charging curve and then open it up to stay between 220 and 170 kW from 0 to 80% .

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Pulling 250kw? Damn..
Screenshot_20211104-113249.png
Screenshot_20211104-113120.png
250kW is essentially impossible with a 400V charging system on CCS. Unless Rivian actually has implemented the 400/800V hardware, I'd be pretty suspect of any number much over 180kW.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

250kW is essentially impossible with a 400V charging system on CCS. Unless Rivian actually has implemented the 400/800V hardware, I'd be pretty suspect of any number much over 180kW.

They have a patent for parallel reconfigurable pack charging. I just dont know if its just that or actually implemented. 250kw might be evidence or could be for just 10 sec of charging just dont know.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

I don't get the mystery really? Rivian has been unwavering in their claim of 140 miles in 20 minutes, which equates to about 45% charge at an average rate of 175kw. This claim is squarely within the bounds of reason based on everything else we know. 45% is a fairly typical charge range on a road trip (35%-80%) and that's a pretty solid average rate. It sounds like it will be similar to the eTron and have a pretty flat curve under 80%, but at slightly higher rate.

Of course, this assumes an EA charger functioning at full capacity.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They have a patent for parallel reconfigurable pack charging. I just dont know if its just that or actually implemented. 250kw might be evidence or could be for just 10 sec of charging just dont know.
Is that 250kW something the user has to type into PlugShare? Wondering if this was a typo and it should have been 150kW.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Thanks SeaGeo for compiling this list. I really Appreciate that :)

Looks like we need to wait for more data points, but it doesn't seem the charging will be very fast.
Fastest I calculated was about 117kW
Sponsored